Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Apollonian

Default Re: The guide to throat slitting (or sentry removal, for the gentlemen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Also the OP is a heck of a lot of text for something that is pretty simple in reality, no wonder people think GURPS is too complicated. You could have written all of the key points there (the combination, and the grab and smash) in less than a hundred words.
It wouldn't be GURPS if we didn't use a hundred words where ten would do. Logorhea seems ingrained in the system culture.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
It wouldn't be GURPS if we didn't use a hundred words where ten would do. Logorhea seems ingrained in the system culture.
Not apparently when the editors are involved...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
The gentlemanly thing to do is announce yourself and give the man time to prepare to defend himself. Skulking is for cowards (and people who want to live more than they want to be gentlemen).
That really only applies if the sentry is also a gentleman, and would a gentleman be on sentry duty?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #14
Bicorn

Quote:
Still better than White Wolf's tradition of having five sentences of fluff for every one of crunch.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Hello welcome to the boards!
Thank you!

Quote:
This is actually a subject that has come up a few time so for some alternative takes on this you might start

here

and

here
Indeed I've read quite a few of those threads, and pulled many suggestions from them. I wanted to create a thread that says right on the OP what you need to do.

Quote:
Right OK on to the suggestion. I think your right a telegraphic All out Attack including a combo will do the trick nicely here.

I wouldn't worry about invoking tip slashes. It's not what you really doing here, you're just sawing away at this chap's neck with a blade that already in there. Not trying to catch him with the very end of your swinging blade.
True enough, but I'd say that it isn't exactly a swing either. Tip Slash is the official rule that is the closest to this, I think. Maybe a less severe damage penalty? Maybe only -1, since your dagger is quite deep in the unfornate person's throat.

Quote:
The gentlemanly thing to do is announce yourself and give the man time to prepare to defend himself. Skulking is for cowards (and people who want to live more than they want to be gentlemen).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That really only applies if the sentry is also a gentleman, and would a gentleman be on sentry duty?

Quote:
Also the OP is a heck of a lot of text for something that is pretty simple in reality, no wonder people think GURPS is too complicated. You could have written all of the key points there (the combination, and the grab and smash) in less than a hundred words.
Quote:
That is true. I will make a "Short Version" and edit it to the OP, specifying the calculated costs.

The Logorrhea version will still be up if people want to know where the hell that is coming from.
Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #16
jason taylor

Quote:
If he is a gentleman-ranker.

What period are you talking of? The only time that could possibly apply was in parts of the eighteenth and nineteenth century when every one knew the war was just about some sordid quarrel over which province belonged to which dynasty; and so was less important then then the International Soldier's Union.

In any case how do you do recon without skulking? If a gentleman can't do throatcutting neither should he be a jaeger.

Last edited by jason taylor; 09-15-2017 at 05:15 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
If he is a gentleman-ranker.

In any case what period are you talking of?
The concept of gentleman is timeless and universal, of course (in reality, codes of proper behavior in warfare, gentlemen or otherwise, have mostly only worked when the banned behavior is not very effective, or the ban is beneficial to both sides).
Old 09-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #18
jason taylor

Quote:
The concept of gentleman is timeless and universal, of course (in reality, codes of proper behavior in warfare, gentlemen or otherwise, have mostly only worked when the banned behavior is not very effective, or the ban is beneficial to both sides).
Yes but the details are not. For instance there was nothing about. "don't shoot at generals" in WW2. Come to think of it there was nothing about sentries not randomly shooting at each other and that was one of the more sensible portions of the code(everyone has work tomorrow and needs sleep). However SOMETIMES prisoners got treated a lot better even if they were from Other Ranks(sometimes they got treated a lot worse too).

As for the concept of gentleman being timeless if I remember one Elizabethan on a foundering ship let his friend aboard a plank then drew his rapier and made sure every one else stayed away. In Vicky's day he would have gone to Coventry for that.

For that matter can you imagine a Norman knight behaving in what you would call a remotely gentlemanly manner? Except of course by the original definition which is,"Having a successful thug for an ancestor" and fortunately of no more then etymological interest.

Last edited by jason taylor; 09-15-2017 at 06:01 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #19
Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Instead of using knife to cut neck (-5 to hit) you can grapple it instead (-3 to hit) which still does cutting damage equal to half control points (tech iCal grappling) and then you can spend those points to increase damage of next cut.
Ah, I don't have the grappling supplement. Care to explain this specific rule?

The knife cut is at -4 actually (-8 halved from TA) and has +1 from Neck Control that I don't know if would apply to the grapple.

Also, when creating this move I wasn't aiming exactly for the maximum damage, optimized cost or maximum versatility - I wanted to the replicate the classic scene in fiction where someone sneaks up behind his or her victim and cut its throat; and using only realistic rules.
Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #20
(E)

I would think that the tip slash is extraneous, after you grapple the targets jaw, pull the head back and stab below the ear all you have to do to finish is push forwards. A neck snap might be a useful followup to reduce the thrashing around, this would be a simple ST check as the ligaments at the front of the neck have been severed.

As GM once the player had made all the stealth checks, performed the grapple and made the first knife check I would say it's all over.

Last edited by (E); 09-15-2017 at 08:31 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fairbairn, hit location, neck, sentry removal