Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
RogerBacon

Default How to model a power that lets you know of things an animal can see within X range?

Let's say I want a character that can become aware of anything a wolf within 1 mile can see? The character concentrates and anything of importance that a wolf is seeing he becomes aware of. It should be understood that I mean anything that the charater thinks would be important, not the wolves (so a juicy rabbit wouldn't count). Any ideas?
RogerBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: How to model a power that lets you know of things an animal can see within X rang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBacon View Post
Let's say I want a character that can become aware of anything a wolf within 1 mile can see? The character concentrates and anything of importance that a wolf is seeing he becomes aware of. It should be understood that I mean anything that the charater thinks would be important, not the wolves (so a juicy rabbit wouldn't count). Any ideas?
I'd build it as: Mind Reading (Reflexive, +40%; Racial (Wolves Only), -20%; Sensory Only, -20%) [30].

Reflexive means it'll act like a sense and self-activate whenever something interesting pops up. Racial means it'll only work on the wolves. Sensory only means you don't get anything but what the wolf's sense are telling it rather than the wolf's opinion on what its' perceiving. Slap Multiple Contacts, +50% in there if it can ping off multiple wolves at once and Independent, +70% as well if the connection is 'sticky' even when the character isn't actively paying attention to the incoming sensory feed.

... I'm not sure this is RAW though.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
lexington

Default Re: How to model a power that lets you know of things an animal can see within X rang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
I'd build it as: Mind Reading (Reflexive, +40%; Racial (Wolves Only), -20%; Sensory Only, -20%) [30].

Reflexive means it'll act like a sense and self-activate whenever something interesting pops up. Racial means it'll only work on the wolves. Sensory only means you don't get anything but what the wolf's sense are telling it rather than the wolf's opinion on what its' perceiving. Slap Multiple Contacts, +50% in there if it can ping off multiple wolves at once and Independent, +70% as well if the connection is 'sticky' even when the character isn't actively paying attention to the incoming sensory feed.

... I'm not sure this is RAW though.
Multiple Contacts and Independent make sense. I'd steal Vague from Detect as well, I think that's -50%.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Weatherwax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBacon View Post
And I suppose you could get another Limitation to Sunrunners_Fire's suggestion if you limited the Sensory to sight only, eliminating hearing and smell. Or leave it with hearing and smell and remember to ask the GM about those senses as well.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Refplace

I would add the Second Nature enhancement for Clairsentience to the Sense Mind reading or just use Clairsentinece itself.

Clair sentience with enough range and Second nature and a limitation only from wolves perspectives (or whatever animal or all animals you decide) should be a good way to get this.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build advice, powers