Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
cosmicfish

Default Mass-limited, range-limited teleport

Trying to put together a standard teleport package for a game world. The idea is basically Range-Limited Teleport from Psionic Powers, but that power seems to allow unlimited mass to be transported... and I want the mass to matter as well. I don't like "unlimited" as the power describes, and like a gradiated system where more=harder.

I am thinking of treating the mass like the range, based on the size modifier - power level X limits you to SM Y (with level 14 giving no limit), and a penalty equal to the SM.

So, for example, a psi with RL Teleport 10 and Exoteleport-16 might max out at SM +10, corresponding to a decent-sized building. But with a -10 to skill, he will need a strong time or FP bonus just to shift said building, much less move it a significant building. If he wants to move it a mile, he would need 8 points in FP or time bonuses to give himself even a 50-50 chance - 4 minutes of preparation, 16FP, or some combination thereof. If he wants to be certain (skill 16?) he needs 4 hours or 28FP.

Here are my questions:

1) This is apparently a limitation on RL Teleport (which has no size limits), for game balance should there be a reduction in the cost to keep balance with other powers?

2) Does this seem reasonable, or should there be additional modifiers or offsets?
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Mass-limited, range-limited teleport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Trying to put together a standard teleport package for a game world. The idea is basically Range-Limited Teleport from Psionic Powers, but that power seems to allow unlimited mass to be transported... and I want the mass to matter as well. I don't like "unlimited" as the power describes, and like a gradiated system where more=harder.

I am thinking of treating the mass like the range, based on the size modifier - power level X limits you to SM Y (with level 14 giving no limit), and a penalty equal to the SM.

So, for example, a psi with RL Teleport 10 and Exoteleport-16 might max out at SM +10, corresponding to a decent-sized building. But with a -10 to skill, he will need a strong time or FP bonus just to shift said building, much less move it a significant building. If he wants to move it a mile, he would need 8 points in FP or time bonuses to give himself even a 50-50 chance - 4 minutes of preparation, 16FP, or some combination thereof. If he wants to be certain (skill 16?) he needs 4 hours or 28FP.

Here are my questions:

1) This is apparently a limitation on RL Teleport (which has no size limits), for game balance should there be a reduction in the cost to keep balance with other powers?

2) Does this seem reasonable, or should there be additional modifiers or offsets?
Exoteleport is:
Affliction (Advantage: Warp (Blind Only, -50%; Exoteleport, -50%; Modified Capacity (1 lb), -30%; Reliable 10, +50%), +200%)
... you can warp (up to 1 lb) as far as you can handle the range penalties for.
Range-Limited Exoteleport is:
Affliction (Advantage: Warp (Blind Only, -50%; Range Limit (10 yards), -50%; Reduced Range (1/10), -30%; Reliable 10, +50%), +200%)
... you can warp (up to subject's body weight + subject's basic lift + subject's payload) a maximum of (1 yard) distance.

If you want an Exoteleport that is both range-limited and mass-limited, you'd do:
Affliction (Advantage: Warp (Blind Only, -50%; Exoteleport, -50%; Modified Capacity (1 lb), -30%; Reliable 10, +50%; Range Limit (10 yards), -50%; Reduced Range (1/10), -30%), +200%)
... you can warp (up to 1 lb) a maximum of (1 yard) distance.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Trying to put together a standard teleport package for a game world. The idea is basically Range-Limited Teleport from Psionic Powers, but that power seems to allow unlimited mass to be transported... and I want the mass to matter as well. I don't like "unlimited" as the power ?
Then you take "regular" Exotelport (which is sharply limited by mass) and add the standard "Range Limit" Limitation from p.99 of Characters.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
cosmicfish

Both of the suggestions above refer back to the standard Exoteleport weight table on page 69... and what I am looking for is something in-between that very sharp limit (where level 20 allows all of 320lb.) and the apparently unlimited RL Exoteleport. I would like to allow things like that pivotal moment in Jumper (yes, a bad movie) where the main character manages to jump the building to which he is attached. That is why I would prefer to tie the penalties to size modifier rather than the "maybe teleport another person or two" options that Exoteleport normally gives.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Jovus

Just pointing out here, but what you're proposing is actually a volume limit, not a mass limit.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovus View Post
Just pointing out here, but what you're proposing is actually a volume limit, not a mass limit.
I started off looking for a mass limit, and came across a post from a long time ago that mentioned using the size modifier. I would be okay with either a mass or volume limit provided it covers the full range of possibilities from feather to ... well, something really big.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Exoteleport's maximum mass is determined by your BL. If you want to be able to teleport more than your maximum lift, buy Extra Lifting ST with a limitation for Exoteleport Only.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
chandley

There is also Mental Lifting ST, with the option to either purchase or power stunt in Super Effort for teleporting buildings when needed. Super Effort, in particular, links up to the size/range table.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Both of the suggestions above refer back to the standard Exoteleport weight table on page 69... and what I am looking for is something in-between that very sharp limit (where level 20 allows all of 320lb.) and the apparently unlimited RL Exoteleport. I would like to allow things like that pivotal moment in Jumper (yes, a bad movie) where the main character manages to jump the building to which he is attached. That is why I would prefer to tie the penalties to size modifier rather than the "maybe teleport another person or two" options that Exoteleport normally gives.
Ah! So you want a table with skill bonuses/penalties in one column and the weight in another column, just like Warp does with range?

Hmm.

Advantage:
Affliction (Advantage: Warp (Based on Will (Afflictor's), +20%; Mental Carrying Capacity, +20%; Blind Only, -50%; Exoteleport, -50%; Exoteleport (Modified Capacity; BL), -0%), +400%)

Technique: "Insert Fancy Name Here" (Defaults to _Skill -10; Cannot be higher than _Skill)
Power Technique: Will Attribute; Ability at Default (100%; Different Types), -10; Will X (Super-Effort, +400%), X = (Will / 5)

Math Warning!
Weight Capacity: X = [(Will ^ 2) / 5] in lbs
Technique Weight Capacity: Y = [((Will + {10^(((Will/5)+2)/6); round result to highest unsigned value}) ^ 2) / 5] in lbs

Formula Table:
Code:
Skill Modifier		Weight Capacity		Technique Weight Capacity
+3			X / 20			Y / 20
+2			X /  5			Y /  5
+1			X /  2			Y /  2
+0			X			Y
-1			X *  2			Y *  2
-2			X *  3			Y *  3
-3			X *  6			Y *  6
-4			X *  8			Y *  8
-5			X * 10			Y * 10
-6			X * 14			Y * 14
-7			X * 18			Y * 18
-8			X * 22			Y * 22
-9			X * 26			Y * 26
-10			X * 30			Y * 30
... each additional -1 to skill adds 4 to the multiplier in (Variable * Multiplier).
Example Table (Will 10) (Thereby X = 20) (Thereby Y = 45):
Code:
Skill Modifier		Weight Capacity		Technique Weight Capacity
+3			1 lb			2.25 lbs
+2			4 lbs			9 lbs
+1			10 lbs			22.5 lbs
+0			20 lbs			45 lbs
-1			40 lbs			90 lbs
-2			60 lbs			135 lbs
-3			120 lbs			270 lbs
-4			160 lbs			360 lbs
-5			200 lbs			450 lbs
-6			280 lbs			630 lbs
-7			360 lbs			720 lbs
-8			440 lbs			900 lbs
-9			520 lbs			1170 lbs
-10			600 lbs			1350 lbs
... each additional -1 to skill adds 80 lbs to the Weight Capacity column and 180 lbs to the Technique Weight Capacity column.
Will Values Table:
Code:
Will				Value of X			Value of Y
10				20				45
11				25				58
12				29				65
13				34				73
14				40				89
15				45				97
16				52				116
17				58				125
18				65				146
19				73				169
20				90				180

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 07-09-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, psi, psionics, telelport, teleport, teleportation, warp