Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Gef

Default Re: [Magic] 1001 Standard Magic Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Hello![*]$1 per energy point to 60 -- $33 per energy point past that;
Gak!

As I just posted in another thread, under rules as written, a 150pt enchanter with a group of 80pt assistants can manage 300 energy at $1½ per level, and if you get a group of masters, they can manage 500 energy for $3 per level.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=15
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
Stripe

Your post makes a whole lot of assumptions. I just used the RAW numbers for the purpose of this thread, which is to create a handy list of useful, standard, generic, typical magic items that can be easily used by GM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic p. 20
For a typical TL3 fantasy setting with plentiful wizardry and shops full of magic items, it should be possible to commission a magic item for about $33 per energy point.
Quote:
A talented enchanter with skill 20 and five assistants could pour 60 energy into an item easily, without the use of Powerstones or HP.
Quote:
Therefore, at the GM’s discretion, any magic item that a typical enchanter or circle of enchanters could produce with Quick and Dirty Enchantment (60 energy is a reasonable default) costs only $1 per energy point.
But, what point break a given circle uses or is standard in any fantasy campaign isn't the topic of this thread.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #13
Purple Haze

It seems likely that a professional enchanter would have: HT 12, FP 16 (magic only -60%).

So cost should be based on 16x6 not 10x6.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #14
Darekun

The costs assumed by Magic don't make much sense, but they make a gameable assumption. Especially since they let PCs make great money by violating them(Ally + Powerstone = Profit). Personally, I've found that any time S&S gets involved it gets less fun, and the transition causes balance issues, and stuff… But that's not the game here.

Somebody could start a separate thread for hashing out the cost schedule that actually falls out from the system, though.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Stripe

Staffs of Lightning

Item Name: Lesser Lightning Staff
Item Type: Quarterstaff
Description: A glowing quarterstaff crackling and sparking with a bluish energy.
Price: $25,110.
Materials Cost: Fine quarterstaff, $30; platinum and opal decorations, $300.
Enchantment Cost: $24,780.
Enchantments: Staff (30, M70); Lightning Weapon (750 plus at least $300 in platinum and opal decorations, M198).
Function: The weapon deals an additional 2 points of injury after armor penetration and wounding modifiers have been figured. Against metallic armor, the weapon inflicts at least 1 point of damage on any hit.

Item Name: Lightning Staff
Description: A glowing quarterstaff crackling and sparking with a bluish energy.
Price: $58,110.
Materials Cost: Fine quarterstaff, $30; platinum and opal decorations, $300.
Enchantment Cost: $57,780.
Enchantments: Defending Weapon 1 (500, M64); Accuracy 1 (250, M65); Puissance 1 (250, M65); Staff (30, M70); Lightning Weapon (750 plus at least $300 in platinum and opal decorations, M198).
Function: The wielder receives a +1 to parry and +1 to skill to attack with the weapon. The weapon deals an additional 3 points of injury after armor penetration and wounding modifiers have been figured. Against metallic armor, the weapon inflicts at least 1 point of damage on any hit.

Item Name: Greater Lightning Staff
Description: A glowing, polished metallic quarterstaff crackling and sparking with a bluish energy with a blue, oval gem in its center.
Price: $182,010.
Materials Cost: Fine quarterstaff, $30; platinum decorations, $1,600; opal, $500.
Enchantment Cost: $179,880.
Enchantments: Power 2 (1,000, M57); Defending Weapon 1 (500, M64); Accuracy 1 (250, M65); Puissance 1 (250, M65); Staff (30, M70); Shatterproof (400, M118); Resist Lightning (always on; 1,000 plus $1,000 in platinum, M196); Lightning* (800 plus $1,200 in platinum decorations, M196); Wall of Lightning* (500 plus a $500 opal, M197); Lightning Weapon (750 plus at least $300 in platinum and opal decorations, M198).
Function: The wielder receives a +1 to parry and +1 to skill to attack with the weapon. It breaks as a "very fine" weapon (1 in 6). The wielder and anything he carries is immune to the effects of lightning and electricity. The weapon deals an additional 3 points of injury after armor penetration and wounding modifiers have been figured. Against metallic armor, the weapon inflicts at least 1 point of damage on any hit.
* Usable only by mages.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
sn0wball

Item Name: Fiery Arrow
Item Type: Arrow
Description: Dark arrow with black feathers and a head of ruby
Price: 85 $
Materials Cost: 55 $
Enchantment Cost: 30 $
Enchantments: Spellarrow (Energy 30, p.65) w/ 1d Fireball
Function: The archer concentrates for one second while holding his weapons, touching the arrow and concentrating before aiming. The ruby head of the arrow is shrouded in the flames of a fireball, which accompanies the arrow in flight and explodes upon hitting - for 1d of additional fireball damage.
Notes:

Last edited by sn0wball; 12-08-2010 at 12:48 PM.
sn0wball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
cbower

Item Name: The Tyrolean Plate
Item Type: High quality plate improved by enchantment.
Description: A suit of plate armor, engraved with scenes from a biographical novel about the original owner.
Price: $428,415.
Materials Cost: $342,615.
Enchantment Cost: $85,800.
Enchantments: Fortify 3 at 15 (800 energy, page M67), Lighten 50% at 15 (500 energy, Page M67.)
Notes: This is a suit of armor from one of my old campaigns. I wanted to rework it to Low-Tech standards. It has a full helm, gorget, corselet, arms, and legs of medium plate, and gauntlets and sollerets of medium segmented plate. One of the most finely crafted suits in existence, it has the Ornate (+3), Masterfully Tailored, Fluted (for the plate pieces,) and Hardened options, for a base weight of 37.14 lbs before enchantment. With Lighten 50%, the total weight is 18.57 lbs, with DR 8 on the hands and feet, and DR 10 otherwise.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
Stripe

Item Name: Cloak of the Invisible Assassin
Item Type: Hooded Heavy Cloak
Description: A plain, black, ankle-length hooded heavy cloak.
Price: $247,555
Materials Cost: $55
Enchantment Cost: $247,500
Enchantments: Sense Foes (always on in 2-hex radius; 200, M44); Hide Emotion (always on; 200, M45); Insignificance (always on; 700, M48); Power 3 (2,000, M57); Deflect 2 (500, M67); Night Vision (always on; 200, M111) Blur 5 (500, M113); Hide 5 (500, M113); Invisibility (1,200, M114); Wallwalker (1,000, M144); Mage-Stealth (always on; 500, M172).
Function: See Cloaks, B404 and LT99. Gives +4 to Holdout skill. Resists Aura, Sense Foes and Sense Emotion. Always gives wearer Night Vision 9 and a Defense Bonus of 2. When readied as a shield, the cloak gives a DB of 2 or 4 including Deflect. If the wearer weighs 150 lbs. or less including the weight of equipment and anything he is holding, the Wallwalker enchantment is considered always on. Add 3 to the wearer's Stealth skill whenever a roll is necessary, and subtract 5 from the Hearing roll of anyone listening for the wearer.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #19
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Item Name: Timekeeping Ring
Item Type: Ring
Description: A simple bronze ring (0.1 lbs.)
Price: $520.25
Materials Cost: $6.25
Enchantment Cost: $514.00
Enchantments: Adjustable Clothing (34, p. M59), Alarm (60, p. M100) x8.
Function: Adjusts to fit it's wearer by changing size up to 25%. Vibrates or chimes every three hours. When used in conjunction with a simple timekeeping device such as an hourglass, this item lets someone keep time accurately when at sea for long periods, allowing better navigation than would usually be possible at TL3.
Notes: Cost and weight of the ring from Dungeon Fantasy 8. This item is considerably cheaper than one enchanted with Tell Time ($8,250), although not quite as practical. Cheaper versions may have fewer alarm spells.
I had a navigator character who came up with a different solution to this problem:

Item Name: Home port compass
Item Type: Navigator's compass
Description: A brass disc with direction marks and a rotating pointer, with two perpendicular levels on its articulated frame to assure that it is used at the horizontal. The direction marks are extremely fine; a magnifying glass helps to read them. The enchantment is on the needle, but the whole thing is solidly built and meant to withstand time at sea. It is engraved with the sign of some sailor's organization in the setting.
Price: $7900
Materials Cost: $150 ($25 item, +1 CF ruggedized, +4 CF styling)
Enchantment Cost: $7750
Enchantments: Find Direction (Magic, p. 101)
Function: Tells the user first north, to calibrate the compass, and then the direction to the headquarters of a well-known sailor's guild or mage hall. With this and the knowledge of his latitude, easily determined with simple tools, a little trigonometry tells the navigator exactly where he is.
Notes: HT 12, DR 6, 1.2lb, +2 to Influence rolls like Merchant on collectors and potential buyers. An excellent piece of equipment.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #20
ajardoor

Dear GURPS Forum,

I love you. I have always loved you. Don't ever change.

Signed, Ajardoor.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, magic items