Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
starslayer

Default SM and spell costs

I am having an interesting discussion, but have hit a wall unsure how the rules apply to these situations.

1- A great worm SM+5 <wingless dragon> has magery 3, and a series of spells. It wants to fly, and knows the hawk flight spell- it has ST 78, HT12; and HP 78, FP 12- How much does it cost for it to cast hawk flight on itself?

2- A wizard/monk (SM 0, FP 14, Powerstone 12)has engaged in combat with a fire elemental with knowledge of magic. The wizard/monk casts immunity to fire on himself making him immune to all of the fire elemental's very potent innate attacks. The elemental counters by using growth on the wizard/monk, increasing him to SM+5- does this have any effect on the active spell's cost, what about when upkeep time comes up?

3- A skeletal blue whale has a magic ring with power 5, hawk flight, shrinking, and a 25 point dedicated power-stone: The necromancer who created it commands it to shrink itself down, wait 50 seconds, cast hawk flight on itself, wait for her to board the rib cage, and take her to the next town. How much energy does this cost?
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Yami Fowl

Default Re: SM and spell costs

The base cost for the spell is multiplied by the target's SM +1.

So:

1) 72ER for the Dragon.
2) I believe that would be up to the GM, as nowhere this is specified... On my opinion (to avoid issues with casting then increasing size to instead of increasing cost) any spell cast for a give SM expires immediately if the subject increases his SM (whether by magic or anything else).
3) Shrinking cost is cast incremented by the whale's original SM; then Hawk Flight is cast as per it's new SM.

Hope that helped.
DnD 3.5 on an original setting.
Planning a GURPS Sci-Fi Campaign.
Yami Fowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
RobKamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami Fowl View Post
2) I believe that would be up to the GM, as nowhere this is specified... On my opinion (to avoid issues with casting then increasing size to instead of increasing cost) any spell cast for a give SM expires immediately if the subject increases his SM (whether by magic or anything else).
I think I'd just divide the duration by the reciprocal of the SM change and call it good. In this case the Monk's Resist Fire will end in 10 seconds, if the Monk chose to maintain it would be at the higher cost. The elemental would have to deal with the attack of the 50' Tall Fire Resistant Monk of Doom -- for twelve seconds I'd suggest hiding.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Kalzazz

On SM and spell costs, does the SM modifier apply before or after the cost reduction for high skill?

Bob the SM+4 dragon has Blur 20

So cost is reduced by 2. Can Bob then cast Blur 2 for 0? Or does Blur 2 cost 8? (2*5 then -2)
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
On SM and spell costs, does the SM modifier apply before or after the cost reduction for high skill?
Go reread energy costs in Basic or Magic. It will answer your question.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Go reread energy costs in Basic or Magic. It will answer your question.

Or you know, you could actually provide useful contribution by say... including a page reference.

(pg 8 magic by the way- cost is multiplied BEFORE energy cost reduction)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, magic items, rules, rules interpretation, size modifer, size modifier