Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #31
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: GURPS Uplift

Your work is much appreciated. Out of all the GURPS 3E books that I've bought, it's the one I most enjoy (and that includes the TWO copies of the 1st edition that I bought...).

Edit: It was GURPS Uplift that originally got me to start collecting GURPS books. At that time, I was heavily into collecting AD&D 2E games. While I didn't get the breadth of information as I got in TSR products (the good AND the bad...), I did get fascinating information from GURPS.

So Steve Jackson can probably thank you for the thousands of dollars I've spent on GURPS products since then. :-)

Last edited by Pragmatic; 05-16-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Pragmatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #32
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I was reading the Designer's Article for GURPS Uplift, and I came across this link to the FTP site for SJGames. It's supposed to give the stats for the Episiarch and the Acceptors, as well as one or two worlds cut from the first edition, and notes on the introductory adventure.

I have something of the same article name (Uplifters), but it doesn't include the Acceptors (which I've been curious about since reading Startide Rising).

It contains the Episiarch (as promised; made it into the 2nd edition), Fonnir/Norruhk (soon-to-be transcendant and their not-very-happy-to-be-assisting clients), Tytlal (made it into the 2nd edition), Klick-Klick (clients of the Synthians), and an early draft of the character traits (curiosity, empathy, etc.).

I'm wondering if the Acceptors template/notes are hanging out in your files somewhere...?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
stefanj

I don't remember ANYTHING about the stuff on the FTP site. Lord, has it really been 20 years? Oye, gevault.

The Acceptors might have been written up by someone else and put in an early version that article. The Tytlal started out as fan material.

I did find this:

http://home.comcast.net/~stefan_jones/uplift_gateway_bonus.html

I wrote large parts of an introductory adventure, but don't remember if I ever "published" them. I'll check my archives when I have a chance.

Last edited by stefanj; 05-16-2011 at 05:16 PM.
stefanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #34
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Cool, thanks! :-)

Funny as it sounds, David Brin brought my girlfriend and I together. (Or, at least, our mutual love for his writing...) (And sometime in October? November? December?--luckily, NEITHER of us remembers--we're having our two-year anniversary.)

A dating site connects people based on keywords in their profiles. Our common key words were "science fiction." She thought me a mere poseur, so she tried to brush me off with "David Brin's Uplift."

At which point I went off talking about the GURPS Uplift book (and I do believe I have both editions...?), the Contacting Aliens book, the prequel (Aficionado) and sequel (Temptation) short stories, and mentioned some of his other books.

Seem to be doing quite well. :-)

And... that's just me rambling. :-P
Old 05-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #35
Magehound

My goodness. I'm surprised to see replies to this old thing.

The bonus material on the Fonnir made great reading. I enjoyed learning a bit more about them, as that story in Contacting Aliens was one heck of a bare hook to leave lying around. The hook you added to yours is also interesting food for thought.
Magehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #36
stefanj

The Fonnir story in Contacting Aliens was mine as well.

I think it would be cool as hell if they became canon, but Brin has at least one near-future novel to get out before he gets returns to the Uplift setting.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #37
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post

I think it would be cool as hell if they became canon, but Brin has at least one near-future novel to get out before he gets returns to the Uplift setting.
He might return to the Five (Four...) Galaxies...?

That would be cool. Do you know what his non-Uplift novel will be about? I liked Kiln People, and have been through Earth and Glory Season.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #38
stefanj

The near-future novel is currently called "Existence."

Like "Earth," it is a big-picture novel following several characters during momentous events.

It incorporates the novelette "Shoresteading" as one of the threads. This is available online, here: http://baens-universe.com/

More than that, I won't say.

I'll be seeing Brin at the Maker Faire next weekend, and will poke him with a stick until he promises to finish the thing.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #39
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Is that credited?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #40
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
I'll be seeing Brin at the Maker Faire next weekend, and will poke him with a stick until he promises to finish the thing.
When you do, tell him I thank him for my girlfriend. :-)

Tags
gameplay, uplift, ur-species