Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #21
Pursuivant

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well then, I can't see either limitations being worth much at all, unless you're in a reference society where all (or almost all) the languages are logographic or the opposite, where it becomes Dyslexia by default.
Exactly.

It's essentially full or partial Illiteracy in your native language, plus a generic Incompetence Quirk or just a Feature which limits your ability to learn the written forms of a whole bunch of languages, including your own.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #22
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Please remember while the layman use of dyslexia cover writing, if you modding real world dyslexia it only effects reading. it's Dysgraphia that effects writing, while there common to have a touch of one if you have the other, they are independent in their severity
I think I may have that. I do awful handwriting and make a lot of typos and misspellings on a keyboard.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #23
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Dyslexia makes you unable to learn from books, of course. You can study “book-learned” skills at full speed if you have a teacher, according to the Basic Set, although I’m dubious about that, because you can’t take notes.
On this, I think it would be full speed for someone who lacks literacy in any language - essentially that there's no additional penalty. After all, the non-Dyslexic illiterate character can't really take notes either.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I think I may have that. I do awful handwriting and make a lot of typos and misspellings on a keyboard.
You can be bad at things without having any specific syndrome; the question is whether you're unusually bad in comparison to other people who have spent similar effort trying to learn the same thing.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #25
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
You could probably add in Innumerate to this thread, as it's like dyslexia but with numbers (dyscalculia).
I don't consider Innumerate to be parallel to the other two. A person from a stone age culture is likely to be Innumerate as GURPS defines it, and a three-year-old is almost certain to be. But most people finish high school no worse than Math-Shy, and many people reach adulthood with Innumerate fully bought off. That makes it parallel to the move from English (Accented/None) to English (Native) that seems a fairly good representation of the language side of that same educational process.

I don't think there is a GURPS representation for dyscalculia, though I guess you could call it Innumerate + Taboo Trait: Not Innumerate.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #26
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
As far as I can tell here people are no longer taught handwriting so that leads to people not being able to write worth a damn. You have people that have done all their compulsory education and their handwriting is still as if they only picked up a pen yesterday.

No syndrome or such, just lack of practice.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged

Practice only goes so far. Of my two brothers one, naturally has flowery aesthetic handwriting, and the other writes like a drunk eight year old. Mine's in the middle closer to the second brother.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:00 AM   #28
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
As far as I can tell here people are no longer taught handwriting so that leads to people not being able to write worth a damn. You have people that have done all their compulsory education and their handwriting is still as if they only picked up a pen yesterday.

No syndrome or such, just lack of practice.
From Handwriting Problems Solutions - Dysgrphia
Quote:
It is often thought that continued handwriting practice will improve a Dysgraphic student’s ability to use paper and pencil alone as a useful tool to complete all their written schoolwork. This is rarely the case. While Occupational Therapy and Vision Therapy can sometimes help to improve a Dysgraphic student’s letter and number formation in isolation and/or in short writing samples, this improvement is, 99.9% of the time, not able to be sustained when kids are actually using their handwriting to complete their written schoolwork. The same thing is true of making kids re-do written assignments to make them more legible. In cases of Dysgraphia, “practice does not make perfect.”
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:23 AM   #29
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
I'm old enough and was trained in a sufficiently conservative educational tradition that I got the full handwriting training in grade school. Despite regularly using handwriting on a regular basis since then, my handwriting is not a thing of beauty, even under the best conditions.

I have noticed that the only thing that truly improves handwriting is the study of some form of calligraphy. People I've known who took old-fashioned drafting or technical illustration classes, or who taught themselves comic book lettering can write in a legible, even attractive printed script.

People I know who have artistic training (and maybe even a talent) sometimes have attractive, if not legible, cursive handwriting. People I know who have actually studied Western-style calligraphy will use some form of calligraphy as their everyday script, which results in an attractive script.

Conversely, Millennials/post-millennials I've worked with, who have never been taught cursive handwriting, usually produce some form of more-or-less legible, more-or-less attractive, printed script.

There are also different expectations for handwriting legibility by profession. Historically, at least in the US in the late 20th century, physicians were notorious for their illegible handwriting. Allegedly, lawyers of the period had better handwriting. It's also possible that any scientist or engineer who is expected to keep a hand-written lab notebook will have legible, if not attractive, handwriting.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:35 AM   #30
tanksoldier

The US Army estimates that about 10% of trainees, officer and enlisted both, are unable to comprehend maps. No matter how much training or practice is given they are unable to relate the graphic to the real world.

I don't know how that relates to the ability to understand graphs, pie charts and the like but I suspect it's similar... but there is usually other data available so the inability is camouflaged by the ability to understand words and numbers.

When you're out in the field alone the inability to relate to the graphic information on a map can't really be hidden.

A person from a stone age culture is likely to be Innumerate as GURPS defines it, and a three-year-old is almost certain to be

Agreed, I think...

They may not understand numbers having not learned about them... but they aren't incapable of learning. A dyslexic, by GURPS standards, is incapable of ever learning to read or write. A dyscalculate would be incapable of _ever_ comprehending numbers.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-01-2018 at 12:42 AM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, dyslexia, non-iconographic