Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2018, 11:15 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Dyslexia

Yeah, innumerate is something different. It's not numerical illiteracy.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Please remember while the layman use of dyslexia cover writing, if you modding real world dyslexia it only effects reading. it's Dysgraphia that effects writing, while there common to have a touch of one if you have the other, they are independent in their severity
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Would it render a human unable to learn to read Traditional Chinese? It makes more sense for beings on the edge of sentience.
As far as I recall Kromm's rulings, Dyslexia covers all written languages, while non-Iconographic doesn't.

Thus,
♀ - meaning can be understood by a Dyslexic but not by a Non-Iconographic.
女 - meaning can be understood by a Non-Inconographic, but not by a Dyslexic.

Now, I have a need to represent characters who are only dyslexic in non-logographic languages, or who are non-iconographic and can't read logographic languages. So I need two new limitations for Dyslexia: Logographic Only and Not Logographic. I'm not sure what their values should be, though it's not an urgent matter until a player decides to create a character with such deficiencies.

Another limitation worth considering: Only For Orthographically Opaque Languages. So it applies to languages like English, Mandarin and Russian where symbols are only vaguely linked to phonetics, but not to ones with a strong link like Icelandic, Esperanto, Latin etc.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 07-28-2018 at 03:23 PM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Please remember while the layman use of dyslexia cover writing, if you modding real world dyslexia it only effects reading.
Well, it's defined as a reading disorder. It's pretty common to also affect writing (it's also debatable whether it's a single thing, DSM-V doesn't even include it). I'd probably have something like:

Dylexia [-5]
This is a mental/perceptual disorder that means the character is incapable of distinguishing letters and words that an ordinary person can distinguish, such as mirror images, and likewise when writing tends to use the wrong words. It can be thought of as a combination of hard of hearing and stuttering, but for written language rather than speech. It does not otherwise prevent any level of literacy.
Non-Iconographic [-15]
You are incapable of comprehending abstract symbols at all. You can never be literate in any language (and get no points for it), nor can you understand other symbols, unless they could be understood by a non-sapient (IQ 5-) creature.

Last edited by Anthony; 07-28-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #15
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

This is what we came up before with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinlor View Post
Dysgraphia (mild) [-1]

Your writing is riddled with spelling errors and your handwriting looks horrible. However, you have no problem with reading or general grammar. This gives -2 to writing skill and to any influence attempt trough writing. Moreover, you take 1 FP per 15 min of writing.

Taking double time will reduce the skill penalty by 1. You can overcome the FP penalty when using a keybord and reduce the skill penalty further by 1 when using a computer with a spell checker.

In many settings, this will induce reaction penalties in situations involving writing. Purchase these separately using the rules for Reputation, because the frequency and severity of the penalties will vary considerably between settings.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #16
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Please remember while the layman use of dyslexia cover writing, if you modding real world dyslexia it only effects reading. it's Dysgraphia that effects writing, while there common to have a touch of one if you have the other, they are independent in their severity
Dysgraphia at just about any level is likely to be a Quirk.

In my proposed mods for Dyslexia, I lumped in writing speed with reading speed because the time required to accurately spell words, get your grammar and punctuation right, etc. increases total writing time.

Ifyo u wnated tor wite uqckily, yu'ed smell lkie this.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #17
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Now, I have a need to represent characters who are only dyslexic in non-logographic languages, or who are non-iconographic and can't read logographic languages. So I need two new limitations for Dyslexia: Logographic Only and Not Logographic. I'm not sure what their values should be, though it's not an urgent matter until a player decides to create a character with such deficiencies.
In most situations, these wouldn't be meaningful limitations, unless the character's native language, and all other commonly used languages in the game, were logographic/non-logographic. Otherwise, they're more likely to be Quirks or -80% limitations, where the inability to learn or understand a certain broad class of written languages represents a serious hindrance.

Quote:
Another limitation worth considering: Only For Orthographically Opaque Languages. So it applies to languages like English, Mandarin and Russian where symbols are only vaguely linked to phonetics, but not to ones with a strong link like Icelandic, Esperanto, Latin etc.
This might be worth more as a limitation, since it inherently includes most living, non-constructed languages. Perhaps -60%.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:57 PM   #18
TGLS

Well, if you have Dyslexia (Not Logographic languages), would you be able to learn Pinyin, or Hiragana?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #19
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, if you have Dyslexia (Not Logographic languages), would you be able to learn Pinyin, or Hiragana?
Yes. They would be phonetic written forms of a language traditionally written using ideographic/logographic scripts.

The smaller set of symbols and their comparative simplicity might make it easier for a dyslexic to learn.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #20
TGLS

Quote:
So I need two new limitations for Dyslexia: Logographic Only and Not Logographic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Yes. They would be phonetic written forms of a language traditionally written using ideographic/logographic scripts.
Well then, I can't see either limitations being worth much at all, unless you're in a reference society where all (or almost all) the languages are logographic or the opposite, where it becomes Dyslexia by default.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, dyslexia, non-iconographic