Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Brandy

Default Last Gasp/ Long Distance Movement

I'm kicking off a new game in a few weeks and I'll be incorporating "The Last Gasp" for the first time. It fits in nicely with some thematic things I'm doing with the campaign, and I think it will be a great fit.

I've come up with the following system for handling Long Distance Movement using "The Last Gasp" and thought I'd put it out in front of the hive mind for feedback.

I'm using many fewer thresholds for FP loss than the article suggests, so I'll post my HR for that as well. (Forgive the wonky formatting of the tables; I think you can make out what they're intended to convey.)

First, the fatigue levels:
Code:
Fatigue Level      Range      	Stats	ST	BL	Load	Full Recovery	Per Point (12 FP)
Trivial Fatigue	2/3 FP to FP	+0	Full	×1	×1	 6 hours	1.5 hours
Mild Fatigue	1/3 to 2/3 FP	-2	-20%	×2⁄3	×1.5	16 hours	2.5 hours
Severe Fatigue	0 to 1/3 FP	-4	-40%	×1⁄3	×3	40 hours	6 hours
Deep Fatigue	-1/2 FP to 0 FP	-6	-60%	×1⁄6	×6	100 hours	10 hours
Exhaustion	-FP to -1/2 FP	-8	-80%	×1⁄25	×25	240 hours	24 hours
Then, the long distance movement stuff.

Travel
Every character has a basic daily rate, that is determined by their speed (or move). This represents the distance they can travel over average terrain without any ill effects such as lost fatigue.

Basic Daily Rate
A character’s basic daily rate is twice their basic speed, adjusted for encumbrance as shown in the table below. If a character has increased or decreased their move score, use that in place of basic speed.

Encumbrance Level and BDR
Encumbrance levels don’t have a huge effect on BDR. Carrying a lot of gear doesn’t greatly alter the speed with which you can walk. It will, however, affect how tiring a walk or hike will be.
Code:
Encumbrance      BDRx FPx
None	BL	×1.2	×1.0
Light	2×BL	×1.0	×1.0
Medium	3×BL	×1.0	×1.5
Heavy	6×BL	×1.0	×2.0
X-Heavy	10×BL	×0.8	×3.0
Travel Procedure
The group determines the pace at which they will travel, selecting it from the table below.
Code:
Pace	Daily Distance	FP
Walking     	BDR×1.0	0*
Hiking	        BDR×1.2	4
Forced March	BDR×1.6	8
All Out 	BDR×2.0	12
*Cost is zero only for encumbrance None or Light. It costs 2 FP for medium, 4 FP for Heavy, and 8 FP for Extra Heavy.

A successful hiking roll halves the fatigue expenditure. The hiking roll is optional, so critical failures are ignored. Any group travelling with a leader who has the hiking skill and leadership at 12+ can roll once for the whole group versus their average hiking skill.

The distances above assume that 6 hours are spent “on the march” with the rest of the day dedicated to striking or making camp, rest, meals, and so on, so dividing the daily distance by 6 gives speed in MPH. Every two hours beyond this increases the distance by 1/3, but also increases the FP cost by 50% and applies a -2 to the travel roll. The GM may impose other consequences for time lost to other travel-related activities.

Travelling at Different Rates
It is possible that slower party members can only keep up with the group by adopting a different pace. A hiking pace for some members may be a forced march pace for others or even a walking pace for some. Either set a pace and have the group travel the distance of the slowest member or have the leader set a target distance and then each member of the group will determine the pace that they must keep to achieve this.

Getting There First
Sometimes it is important to know how long it takes to get somewhere, not how far the party can go with 6 hours of travel spread over a 24-hour day. To determine speed (in mph), calculate the daily distance for the chosen pace and divide by 6. Every two hours of travel at this pace without regular breaks costs the FP given in the table above, modified for encumbrance. A travel roll may be made to halve this.

Terrain and Weather Effects
The type of terrain crossed will determine the actual distance travelled
Code:
Terrain Type	Examples	Distance Multiplier	Cost/ Mile
Very Bad	Dense forest, mountains. 	×0.20	5 miles
Bad            	Broken ground, forest, steep hills. 	×0.50	2 miles
Average 	Light forest or rolling hills. Typical roads. 	×1.00	1 mile
Good    	Level plains. Imperial roads. 	×1.25	0.8 mile
Snow         	1-3” snow. (Ankle deep). 	×0.50	2 miles
Deep Snow	3”-12” snow. (Knee deep.)	×0.25	4 miles
Ice    	   Ice from snow or sleet. 	×0.50	2 miles
Solid Ice	A frozen lake or river. 	×0.50	2 miles
Skis can be used on any depth of snow. Treat as average terrain and use skiing for the travel roll.
Skates can be used on solid ice. Treat as good terrain and use skating for the travel roll.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Brandy

Default Re: Last Gasp/ Long Distance Movement

I'd also welcome any input from people who have used the last gasp how to run it. What I'm planning to do:

Players keep a collection of AP tokens; these are spent down when used, and reclaimed when recovered.

Players collect colored tokens (poker chips) whenever they accrue FP. The color of the tokens indicates the source of the fatigue.

Exertion FP:
Trivial - White
Mild - Green
Severe - Yellow
Deep - Red
Exhaustion - Black

Environmental FP
(Hunger/ Thirst/ Exposure) Blue

Each character sheet has pre-calculated for the five fatigue levels what their combat and non-combat encumbrance becomes (frex, if I'm Severely fatigued my combat gear has me at X-Hvy and all of my gear overloads me).
Old 01-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Brandy

Default Re: Last Gasp/ Long Distance Movement

Oh, and one last thing. Under these rules, Fit becomes a no-brainer so I changed it to be more like a talent, and made rolls vs. relevant skills be the thing that allows one to halve FP expenditures (like the hiking skill for travel). In a sense, the character's ability with HT-related skills *is* the measure of their fitness instead of a 5-point advantage.

I'll stop spamming my thread now. :)

Tags
house rules, the last gasp