Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Not if it's being Defaulted. You get none of the Fencing benes if you're using the skill at default.
please back that up with a reference never head that before. It doesnt matter if it's default or not it's a fencing skill you're using.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #12
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
please back that up with a reference never head that before. It doesnt matter if it's default or not it's a fencing skill you're using.
B173, fourth paragraph in the "Skill Defaults" section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B173
Regardless of your default skill level, you do not get the special benefits of a skill – especially combat bonuses such as improved damage, special defenses, and unpenalized off-hand use – when you use a skill at default. To enjoy these benefits, you must spend at least one point on the skill.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #13
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
B173, fourth paragraph in the "Skill Defaults" section.
When renders the whole "Fencing skills default to each other at -3 pointless if you cant use them.

Oh well most of what I said stands if you just remove my assumption the you don't put at least one point in them, and just talk what Fencing knife fighting

If you have Knife (DX+3)-14 [8] (hence assuming DX 11) given Parry 9 [2nd parry 5] you could instead Main-Guard (DX+2)-13 [8] given Parry 9 [2nd Parry 7]

Last edited by roguebfl; 11-15-2016 at 05:02 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
Jeraa

Quote:
When renders the whole "Fencing skills default to each other at -3 pointless if you cant use them
Not pointless, just less useful. It still lets you attack with them. You just don't gain any of the special benefits.
Jeraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #15
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeraa View Post
Not pointless, just less useful. It still lets you attack with them. You just don't gain any of the special benefits.
Yes. The intent seems to be that with no training in the skill whatsoever, you don't magically gain the ability to do Fencing footwork to get the retreat bonus because you're defaulting from Broadsword. But you're also not mystically barred from being able to pick up that saber and hit someone with it just because "it's a Fencing weapon".

It's also possible if you have a high skill level that your default will be higher than the 1-point level. But that one point grants you the extra benefits, even though your skill level is coming from the default. In that case, the point is acting a lot like a combat Perk.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeraa View Post
Quote:
When renders the whole "Fencing skills default to each other at -3 pointless if you cant use them.
I've always allowed that when defaulting from a special skill that grants "X, Y, and Z" to a skill that also grants those abilities or not, you get those abilities.

In other words a Saber fencer doesn't forget how to fence because he's picked up a Rapier.... nor if he picks up a Broadsword. He's still using a Fencing skill.

Now, the other direction? Nope.

Quote:
It's also possible if you have a high skill level that your default will be higher than the 1-point level.
At that point you should be Improving Skills from Default.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #17
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
IAt that point you should be Improving Skills from Default.
If you actually wanted to buy up the skill level, yes. If you just wanted to buy the special abilities, one point would suffice.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:51 PM   #18
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
If you actually wanted to buy up the skill level, yes. If you just wanted to buy the special abilities, one point would suffice.
So one point each in Main-Gauche, Saber, and Smallsword with 20-28 in Rapier? Sounds right to me, design-wise.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #19
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
So one point each in Main-Gauche, Saber, and Smallsword with 20-28 in Rapier?
Yes, that's the way I interpret the bit on B173. That one point you "must spend to enjoy these benefits" may not be enough to raise the defaulted skill level higher than the free default, but it's nevertheless sufficient to get the extra benefits. (One point would, after all, buy those benefits even if you were completely ignorant of all other forms of combat and just put one point into the fencing skill to get it at DX-2 as the only training you had.)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #20
Redbeard78

Awesome, so say Main-Gauche 14, would be parry 10 with that particular weapon, plus or minus any other modifiers as the situation would merit. Now, a question about the Melee Weapons Groups, in this case fencing. If I buy the group at say, Fencing weapons 14, regardless of the dex, then ALL weapons in that group would be at 14 or better to use yes? Sorry, like I said, still new, and still learning, and have a horrible tendency to overthink rules sometimes.

On a completely OFF topic, but still Gurps related, can someone explain how Psionics is supposed to work? Again, I think I overthought the whole section when I read it.
Redbeard78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parry, rules