Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Dodgin' Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
In Tactical Shooting.
Suppression Fire is also covered in the Basic Set, p. 409
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Suppression Fire is also covered in the Basic Set, p. 409
Suppression Fire, yes, and those are important rules.

But they aren't accompanied by any rules for suppression.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #13
Kalzazz

One house rule I've considered is allowing a dodge at -2 if your generally aware you might get shot and are not being stationary, even if your shot from behind

This allows rabbits or deer fleeing from hunters to at least try to dodge a shot from behind

I can assure you that at my skill level, trying to hit a clay pigeon as it bounces and rolls along the ground simulating a rabbit is not easy! Even when I hit the range a couple times a week to burn a couple boxes of shells
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #14
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Ninja View Post
In a comparative lineup, one can reflexively dodge a swing from a baseball bat or a thrust from a knife; one can even conceivably duck or twist to avoid a well-aimed arrow (although I, having shot my share of bows, would consider that a degree more difficult; arrow velocity is not negligible); but most firearms launch a projectile at several hundred feet per second in general.

And yet they all get the same success roll vs. dodge.
Insight?
No matter the velocity, the projectile has to travel a distance, while a baseball bat is already on target. GURPS combat is resolved in one-second rounds. By default a ranged attack isn't just the act of pulling the trigger, you have to trace your target first, waving your hands and head (to see) much like a melee fighter would. That is the opening for a dodge roll. Just like you don't try to dodge a baseball bat when the batter's arms are already pointing at you – the bat is already on your face. Rather, you try and avoid the attack the moment a swing starts.

Also, those are combat rules. They apply in combat, which is very dynamic. I wouldn't use them in a stand-off. If you have a gun pointed at you, and do not move, you don't get a dodge when the trigger is pulled.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Is the military experience really making you imagine that rounds in magazine to people shot is going to be anywhere near 1:1?
While I'd love to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm going to speculate this experience is "Put every shot into the bullseye".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #16
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Suppression Fire, yes, and those are important rules.

But they aren't accompanied by any rules for suppression.
Ah, I see the distinction, and agree.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #17
Andreas

Quote:
If you think trained cops tend to hit most of the time, either 'trained' is excluding a heck of a lot of cops or the statistics aren't going to agree with you.
How much of this can be explained by factors such as some cops having disadvantages that makes them hesitate to kill people?
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #18
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
How much of this can be explained by factors such as some cops having disadvantages that makes them hesitate to kill people?
None probably. Military forces routinely fire thousands of rounds per casualty. For World War II the numbers are fairly firm and run about 1000 small arms rounds, and just under a ton of heavier ordinance, per casualty. Estimates for the recent Iraq war range from 50 to 250 times that. Admittedly military forces are a lot more willing to shoot at nothing on the off chance there is somebody over there, but still.

For a group that is more careful about targets and probably more cost constrained, US hunters kill 220 million animals per year (according to anti-hunting sites anyway) which dividing by the $6 billion of sporting ammunition sales suggests hunters burn through 50 to 100 rounds per kill. Admittedly some nontrivial fraction of sport shooting is for something other than hunting, but that 220 million kills figure is probably generously padded too.

Guns can be effective killing tools, but the numbers certainly suggest most shots aren't well aimed.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #19
Anthony

In any situation with armies facing against armies, the average kill/incapacitate total for any soldier will be equal to (casualties before enemy surrenders) / (total number of soldiers on your side, including replacements). Unless there's a situation where one side has a huge advantage in skill and/or technology, this number will generally be less than 1.

So... your lifetime hit probability is (some number less than 1) / (number of shots you will fire under combat conditions). This does mean accuracy can be expected to decrease as magazine capacity increases.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #20
smurf
Banned

Normal dude dodge is 8. In other words not much chance of avoiding being shot, but some if lucky.

The defender must be able to see the attacker.

Now if we say our more heroic dude has a dodge of 16 then dodging a single bullet is fairly easy. And rightly so because they are heroic dudes.

Mooks don't like to be walked around that much so they will fire bursts of auto fire at the heroic dudes.

If x shots hit home then the defender needs to roll under their dodge score by x.

So if 6 rounds hit and our dodge 16 dude roles a 12, then 4 are avoided and 2 hit their mark.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, tactical shooting