Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #51
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Ambidexterity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
1) Do we make animals buy ambidexterity?
Do we "make" animals buy anything? The bestiary trait lists are supposed to be just traits that are relevant in play. If something has no fine manipulators or no manipulators it hardly ever matters what handedness it should have. Non-human PCs need to either have handedness or Ambidexterity, just like any other PC.
Quote:
2) Downsides of ambidexterity as a zero-point feature? Most of what I can come up with are things like it affects writing, personal gestures, tool designs, and architecture for the society of a race of ambi's. Thoughts on more personal downsides?
-2 to all two-handed tasks.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #52
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:

Only those that qualify for human level fine manipulators. Even many that don't may have strong preferences.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #53
kirbwarrior

Quote:

2) Downsides of ambidexterity as a zero-point feature? Most of what I can come up with are things like it affects writing, personal gestures, tool designs, and architecture for the society of a race of ambi's. Thoughts on more personal downsides?
All unarmed fighting skills ignore handedness, if it matters.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #54
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
All unarmed fighting skills ignore handedness, if it matters.
It is an optional realistic rule in Grups: Martial Arts. It would take obscene amount of hard work and time to get my right hand to hit with even 1/2 the force or accuracy of my left.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #55
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Since Ambidexterity benefits everything and not everyone does weapon training I am curious what alternate 1point@aTime paths to learning it could exist.
Is there a problem with taking it for one skill (or other handed task) at a time, just like for Off Hand Weapon Training?

If you don't have at least five things you want to be able to do equally well with both hands, why are you interested in buying it in the first place?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #56
AlexanderHowl

I tend to have my combat characters always purchase Ambidexterity (at 5 points, it does not make any sense to not purchase the advantage). Not only does it make Dual-Weapon Attack feasible with a Skill level 20, it also means that you are not screwed over if one of your hands is crippled from damage.

As for the unarmed combat rules, it makes perfect sense that you would use each hand equally well because every martial art that I have studied trained every limb until they performed equally well, though sometimes they over train the off-hand. In my case, I am right-handed, but my left arm is stronger and more accurate when it comes to punching because I over trained my off-hand during my youth in order to gain an advantage during tournaments against people who expected right-handed attacks (I did the same thing with my left leg). Any martial artists who depends on just their dominant hand is going to be at a massive disadvantage in sparing, tournaments, etc.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #57
Flyndaran
Untagged

I've never met an actual ambidextrous person in my life. It would be literally impossible to train me to use my right hand in any way other than a clumsy child.
But for combat monsters and only costing five points, it is quite common among my characters too.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, ambidexterity, aotw, basic, off-hand weapon training, week