Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Bibiribobiri

Default New GURPS Hardcore Battle system (fan made)

As a “realism” fanatic, i’ve encountered 3 main problems of GURPS battle system. If you want to skip those (and go right to the new rules) go to the next post.

Imagine a 1x1 medieval fight. Tom is a strong ST19 Ogre and Jerry is a sneaky ST10 thief.

i) The figthing pace is too weird:
On GURPS rules, they will usually attack once every second and defend once every second. In seems odd because no one can keep that pace (just watch an UFC fight, for exemple). Even those who could strike once every second (a experienced fighter, like Anderson Silva), rarely do so and when they do, they do it for only a few seconds.

ii) The attacking speed doesn’t depend on the weapon one use:
It also seems odd. That being the case, everyone (who had a bit of money) would just use the heaviest weapon he could wield without penalty. In that case, if wanted to use one-handed weapon optimally, both Tom and Jerry would always choose to use the broadsword.
Thinking in numbers, it would actually make more sense for Jerry to use a heavier weapon, like an axe (proportionally much more damage, no defence), than Tom (proportionally almost the same damage, no defence).
Also, if Jerry used a bastard-sword he would strike as fast as if using a short-sword or a dagger.

iii) Shields don’t protect passively.
Playing Mount & Blade (the best medieval fighting simulator I know) I noticed that my shield blocked some arrows even if I wasn’t defending. Some times, when I was running (with shield down), my shield caught an arrow from an archer I didn’t even know was there. The same thing should happen if I had a shield strapped on my back. Playing as an archer, I realized that it was much harder to hit
someone who had a shield (even if he didn’t saw me and wasn’t defending).

This rules may feel too much complicated at first, but I bet GURPS also seemed to much complicated as you started playing it. :P
The trick is to annotate everything on the character sheet (thus it only get tricky once).

[HR] Tactical Combat Overhaul: house rules for adding depth to attack speed mechanics
Bibiribobiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: New GURPS Hardcore Battle system (fan made)

1. This is an issue of players, not rules. In reality, it would be a few seconds of striking, followed by several seconds of Evaluates and Waits. The cycle would then repeat itself.

2. Daggers are an impractical weapon to fight ogres to begin with, and giving up the ability to parry makes axes somewhat less than optimal.

3. Your shield is a valid hit location when attacked from your shield side. This includes arrows.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Bibiribobiri

[Edited]

Here are the modifications to RAW combat rules.
Yes, these rules will slow down the pace of combat and make things more complex. On the other hand, it adds a lot more strategy and might make combat more fun for some of you.

1) Penalty points (PP).
This rule will deal with problems 1 and 2 that I described.
When you take an active action (like attacking), you get penalty points (PP) that are stackable. Those are penalties are applied to every active action you take. This PP normally only disappear if you spend some turns without making active actions.

Every weapon, when used for attacking, give PP according to the following formula:
PP=WW×10/ST-0.67 (round up and minimum of 1)
Where WW is the weapon’s weight. Add +1 to WW If the weapons is unbalanced (U) or poorly balanced (-0.6 CF), and -1 to WW if weapon is balanced (+4 CF).

Use 1.5 times your ST (round down) if using two hands.

EX: Penalty points Table [ PP (ST range) ] considering weights described in GURPS Low-Tech table:
Axe, one-handed (U), effective WW=5: [6 (8), 5 (9-10), 4 (11-13), 3 (14-18), 2 (19-29), 1 (30-…) ]
Longsword, WW=4: [5 (8), 4 (9-10), 3 (11-14), 2 (15-23), 1 (24-…)]
Broadsword, WW=3 : [ 4 (7-8), 3 (9-11), 2 (12-17), 1 (18-….) ]
Short sword, WW=2: [ 2 (8-11), 1 (12-…)]
Large knife, WW=1: [ 1 (any ST) ]

Before each his attack, the wielder gets a number of PP equal to weapon PP.
Thus a ST 9 char gain 3 PP for attacking once in his turn with broadsword.

2) Bonus points (BP).
Every time you take an Wait maneuver, you get DX/3 rounded down Bonus Points (BP) and stack them to the limit of DX/2. BPs can only be used to negate PPs, they cannot be used to gain any bonus or reduce modifier penalties (e.g hit location).

When you attack, you get PPs before any die roll (You can mark them with beans if you like). If you have any BPs, you can use them to negate the acquire PPs before the die roll.

3) Removing PP.
In the beginning of your turn, you can remove 1 PP.
Additionally you can remove a number of PP equal to (DX-10)/3 rounded down (1 for DX 13, 2 for DX 16,…). This value is independent of the action you take. You cannot gain BP this way though. This makes very agile fighters a little faster too.

Combat Exemple1:
Jerry (ST10/DX12) has skill 16 with all weapons. He is using an Axe (5 PP each swing). On turn 1, without any preparation (waiting turns), he strikes (getting 5 PP) and rolls for 16-5=11. At start of turn 2 he removes one PP (having now 4 PP) and if he strikes again he gets other 5 PP and rolls for 16-4-5=7! That is just probably too fast for him.

Jerry could instead, attack on his first turn (at 16-5=11); on second turn remove one PP (now 4 PP) and take a Wait maneuver to gain DX/3=4 BP (rounded down); on his third turn remove another PP (now at 3 PP) and then attack using his BP to offset some PP at skill 12=16-3 (old PP) +4 (BP) -5 (new PP). This end his turn with 4 PP.

If using a short-sword (2 PP for Jerry), he would get 16-2=14 for attacking in the first turn (ending with 2 PP); in his second, could attack again at skill 13= 16 -1 (one PP was removed at the beginning of the turn) -2 (new PP) ending with 3 PP; Faster than swinging an axe!

Tom (ST19/DX9) has skill 12 with all weapons. He is using an Axe (2 PP each swing). If he strikes on both turns, he gets 12-2=10 on the first turn and 12-1-2=9 on the second turn. As he is super strong, he can swing it very easily.

To increase its odds, Tom could, instead, opt to take Wait maneuver on his first turn (getting DX/3=3 BP), attack on his second turn (at 12-2+2=12 and remaining with 1 BP) and again in his third turn (at 12-2+1=11)

Combat Exemple 2:
Jerry wants to be a badass and use the axe anyway. On turn 1 he waits (getting DX/3=4 BP). Turn 2 he waits again, getting other 2 BP (He wont accumulate more BP than DX/2=6.5). Turn 3 he strikes (getting 5 PP that cancel 5 BP) for 16+5-5=16, leaving with 1 BP. Turn 4 he can strike for 16-5+1=12 or he can wait again and get 4 BP.

With that rule, you must attack slower (wait more turns) if using a heavier weapon.

4)Attacking multiple times in a turn.
Before each of the multiple attacks, the wielder gets a number of PP equal to (weapon PP+1)x(weapon attack number).

Combat Example 3:
Jerry, with an axe (5 PP), wants to give 2 attacks in a single turn. He waited two turns and has 6 BP. His attacks go as follows:
A1: 16-((5+1)*1)+6=16 (leaving him with 0 BP).
A2: 16-((5+1)*2) =4 (leaving him with 12 PP)!

Combat Example 4:
Jerry, with a dagger (1 PP), wants to give 3 attacks in a single turn. He waited two turns and has 6 BP. His attacks go as follows:
A1: 16-(2*1)+2=16 (and has now 4 BP)
A2: 16-(2*2)+4=16 (and has now 0 BP)
A3: 16-(2*3)=10 (and has now 6 PP)

5) Dual Wielding
Count each weapon’s attack separately for defining its added PP at a given turn.

Combat Example 5: Jerry has a dagger (1 PP) on each hand and the ambidexterity advantage. He wants to strike 3 times (2 with main hand and one with the off-hand):
A1 main hand: add (2*1) PP
A2 off hand: add (2*1) PP (don’t count A1), leaving him with 2+2=4 PP
A3 main hand: add (2*2) PP (don’t count A2), leaving him with 4+4= 8 PP

6) All-out attacks:
All-out attacks remain the same with the exception of all-out attack double, which will be substituted by the all-out attack fast.
This version of all-out attack lets you subtract one to the weapon attack number count for one of your weapons.

Combat Example 6: Jerry has a dagger (1 PP) on each hand and the ambidexterity advantage. He wants to strike 3 times (2 with main hand and one with the off-hand) using all-out attack fast:
A1 main hand: add (2*(1-1))=0 PP
A2 off hand: add (2*1) PP (don’t count A1), leaving him with 0+2=2 PP
A3 main hand: add (2*(2-1))=2 PP (don’t count A2), leaving him with 2+2= 4 PP

7) Defenses

7.1) Parrying
A parry is performed as usual (Skill/2 + 3) but suffers a penalty equal to the defender’s PP/2 (round down) and does not get any shield DB bonus (new rule, see blocking below)! After a parry roll, the user adds PP equal to weapon’s PP/2 (round up).

Multiple parries with a weapon add PP following the same rules as multiple attacks but getting a number of PP equal to (weapon PP/2 round up)x(weapon parry number) after each attempt. This does not let you parry multiple times a single attack.

If the parry is successful, the attacker rolls for knockback damage with his weapon.
The user effective DR is equal to its weapon’s weight (+1 if balanced) plus the defense roll’s margin of success. For every halve of the target’s ST rolled, move the target one yard away from the attacker and gains 1 PP. For instance, a man with ST 10 would be knocked back one yard and gain 1 PP per full 5 points of basic damage.

Combat Example 6: Tom succeeds in its axe roll to hit Jerry.
Jerry decides to parry this blow with a short sword. Jerry currently has 2 PP due to a short sword swing at his last turn. He has short sword skill of 16 which gives him a parry of 11 = 11 (Skill/2+3) -1 (PP/2) +1 (combat reflexes). He rolls an 9 giving him a margin of 2.
Tom rolls for damage at Swing + 2 = (3d+1) + (2) and gets 14.
Jerry gets knockback damage equals to 14-2-2=10. He is pushed back two yards and gets additional 2 PP.

7.2) Shield
A shield now provides passive cover: attacks that succeed with a margin equal or lower than the shield’s DB hits the shield instead. The “defender” may opt to perform an active defense or not after the attack roll.

7.3) Blocking
A block is performed as usual (Skill/2 + 3 + shield’s DB), but suffers a penalty equal to the defender’s PP/2 (round down). After any block roll, the user gets a PP equal to shield’s DB/2 (round up).

Multiple blocks add PP following the same rules as multiple parries but getting a number of PP equal to (shield DB/2 round up)x(shield block number). This does not let you block multiple times a single attack.

A successful block means that the blow was caught by the shield. The attacker rolls damage to shield as usual.
If the attacked performed an active block, its shield gains an instantaneous DR equal to the defense roll’s margin of success not considering the shield’s DB (minimum is zero). This accounts for how well the defender was able to deflect the blow without absolving its impact.

Combat Example 7: Tom has zero PP or BP and swing its axe at Jerry with effective skill of 12-2=10. Jerry is now using a large Roman Scutum with DB 3, DR4 and HP27.
Tom rolls and gets a 7, meaning that he hits Jerry’s shield instead of Jerry (no defense needed!).
Jerry decides to actively block this blow. Jerry currently has 5 PP due to an axe swing at his last turn. He has shield skill of 16 which gives him a block of 11 (Skill/2+3) + 3 (DB) -3 (PP/2 round up) +1 (combat reflexes) = 12. He rolls an 7 giving him a margin of 5 and an instantaneous extra DR of 5-3=2.
Tom rolls for damage at Swing + 2 = (3d+1) +2= 3d+3 and gets 12.
The damage applied to Jerry’s shield is 12 – 4 (=shield’s DR) -2 (=instantaneous DR) = 6.
After this, Jerry gets additional 2 PP for actively blocking and now has 7 PP.

7.4) Dodging
A dodge roll is now performed with DX/3+3 but suffers a penalty equal to the defender’s PP/3 (round down). It does not get any bonus from shield’s DB.

Any dodge after the first gets a number of PP equal to (1)x(dodge attempt number -1), meaning that the first dodge does not add any PP. This does not let you dodge multiple times a single attack. The PP is only added after each defense roll.

7.5) All-out defense:
All-out defense remain the same with the exception of double defense, which halves the added PP for each defense (rounded up) and lets you use two active defenses for a single attack.

Last edited by Bibiribobiri; 08-06-2020 at 02:50 PM. Reason: correcting mistake on "A3 main hand" from Combat Example 6
Old 11-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Bibiribobiri

Combat Example 8: After a long time Tom and Jerry meet again. Tom (ST19, DX9, high pain threshold) is using a large roman Scrutum (skill 12, DB 3), an Axe (skill 12, PP 2) and a 4 DR mail. Jerry (now with ST12 and DX13, ambidexterity, combat reflexes) is using two short swords (skill 17, PP 1) and a 2 DR mail.

Both start the combat within reach and with no PP or BP.

J1) Jerry starts by making multiple attacks:
A1 main hand: He gets 2 PP and performs a telegraphic attack to Tom’s neck with effective skill of 17-2-5+4 = 14. He rolls a 11 making it a possible hit. Note that rolling 12-14 would have hit the shield since DB now penalizes attack roll (this passive protection would work even if Tom was unaware of the attack).
Tom tries a block with effective skill of 9+3+2=14. He succeeds with an 10 getting an instantaneous extra DR of 1 (= margin not counting shield DB) to a total of 4+1=5 shield DR. Tom gets 2 PP.
Jerry rolls damage to shield with Thurst+1=1d and gets a 5, dealing no damage to the shield.

A2 off hand: He gets 2 PP and performs a telegraphic swing attack to Tom’s torso with effective skill of 17-4+4 = 17. He scores with a 14, barely missing Tom’s shield (due to DB 3, a 15-17 roll would hit the shield).
If Tom was to use his shield again he would get 2*2 PP from blocking a second time.
He decides to dodge and retreat with an 11 (= (DX/3+3) – (PP/3 (rounded down)) + (telegraphic attack bonus) + 3 (retreat bonus)) and get no additional PP.
Then Tom rolls an 11 barely escaping the blow.

A3 main hand: He gets additional 2*2 PP and performs a telegraphic swing attack to Tom’s torso with effective skill of 17-8+4 = 13. He scores with a 10, barely missing Tom’s shield again.
Tom could try one of the following:
- to block again with a 13 ((Skill/2+3) + (DB) –(PP/2 (rounded down)) + (telegraphic attack bonus)) and get additional 2*2=4 PP or,
- to parry with 10 ((Skill/2+3) – (PP/2 (rounded down)) +2 (telegraphic attack bonus)) and get 1 PP or,
- to dodge with a 7 ((DX/3+3) – (PP/3 (rounded down)) +2 (telegraphic attack bonus) -1 (second dodge)) and get additional 1 PP.

He chooses the second option.
He decides to parry with his axe for a roll of 10.
Tom gets an 11 and fails the parry. Now he gets 1 PP.
Jerry rolls 1d+2 damage and gets an 6. Subtracting Tom’s DR of 4, Tom takes 3 points of damage.

T1) Tom removes 1 PP and start its turn with 2 PP. He can opt to attack while Jerry has PP/2=4 penalty to his parry or PP/3=2 penalty to his dodge. He takes this opportunity to perform two all out attack fast.
A1: A swing with 12-2=10. Note that he gets no additional PP due to all-out attack fast (these 2 are leftovers from previous defenses).
He rolls an 11 and misses.

A2: Tom gets +2 PP and performs a telegraphic swing with 12-4+4=12. He succeeds in his attack with a 12.
Jerry performs an acrobatic dodge and retreat. He passes his acrobatics test and rolls for a dodge of 13 ((DX/3+3) – (PP/3 (rounded down)) +2 (telegraphic attack bonus)+ 2 (acrobatic bonus) + 3 (retreat bonus) + 1 (combat reflexes)).
He rolls for a 10 and passes. He gets no PP for his first dodge

J2) In the start of Jerry’s turn he removes 2 PP (one free and one due to his high DX). Now he has 6 PP. He takes a wait maneuver and removes DX/3=4 PP, finishing with 2 PP.

T2) Tom starts his turn with 4-1=3 PP. He takes a wait maneuver and ends his turn with 0 PP.

J3) Jerry start his turn with 2-2=0 PP...

[HR] Tactical Combat Overhaul: house rules for adding depth to attack speed mechanics

Last edited by Bibiribobiri; 08-06-2020 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Corrections in numbers used in examples
Old 11-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #5
Bibiribobiri

Some comments of mine in red:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
1. This is an issue of players, not rules. In reality, it would be a few seconds of striking, followed by several seconds of Evaluates and Waits. The cycle would then repeat itself.
I've never fought like this before. Usually attacking as fast as I could gave me better results :)

2. Daggers are an impractical weapon to fight ogres to begin with, and giving up the ability to parry makes axes somewhat less than optimal.
Why would someone with ever choose a shortsword over a broadsword? He could do it for roleplaying resons, but not for game mechanic reasons.

3. Your shield is a valid hit location when attacked from your shield side. This includes arrows. The point is that I was trying not to hit the shield but it kept getting in the way (even when the target did not know I was there).

Old 11-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibiribobiri View Post
Why would someone with ever choose a shortsword over a broadsword?
The same reasons to choose a broadsword over an assault rifle: Availability, price, fighting in close quarters, Holdout, social pressures, legal limitations, etc., etc.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ok, I think I see what you are trying to do here. Trying to slow down combat, and slow it down in such a way that the weapon you are using matters, are both commendable goals. And the penalty point mechanic is a decent way to do it. I have a couple of observations though:

Your PP curve is too steep and tied solely to weight. The dagger can attack five times faster than the axe -- that's a balance issue. Twice as fast I could see. Three times I might hee and haw with. Five times? too large a difference. You need to also consider the ergonomics of the weapon, and the movement the arm has to perform.

Most combat should probably start the battle with BP. This is probably what gurps calls the ready manuever.

This system is related to 'The Last Gasp'. It won't do everything you want, but its worth looking at.

Also, folks with access to a broadsword don't go for short swords unless there are very specific reasons for it. The one army that I know of that did it (rome) used it in very very tight fighting where the longer length of a broadsword was a liability.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
Landwalker

Quote:
i) The figthing pace is too weird:
On GURPS rules, they will usually attack once every second and defend once every second. In seems odd because no one can keep that pace (just watch an UFC fight, for exemple). Even those who could strike once every second (a experienced fighter, like Anderson Silva), rarely do so and when they do, they do it for only a few seconds.
As ericthered mentions, The Last Gasp (Pyramid 3/44) pretty much solves this problem. I've played in very combat-heavy games that have used this, and the problem you (correctly) identify is rarely anywhere to be found—attacking every second-nonstop, while possible, is a good way to exhaust yourself in a hurry.

Quote:
ii) The attacking speed doesn’t depend on the weapon one use:
It also seems odd. That being the case, everyone (who had a bit of money) would just use the heaviest weapon he could wield without penalty. In that case, if wanted to use one-handed weapon optimally, both Tom and Jerry would always choose to use the broadsword.
Thinking in numbers, it would actually make more sense for Jerry to use a heavier weapon, like an axe (proportionally much more damage, no defence), than Tom (proportionally almost the same damage, no defence).
Also, if Jerry used a bastard-sword he would strike as fast as if using a short-sword or a dagger.
A very reasonable concern, but as has already been pointed out, your penalty curve is extremely steep, and also doesn't take into account the way different weapons are used (or even the different ways that one weapon is used). Let's take a shortsword, for example: You can cut with it, or you can thrust with it. Given your attention to this speed problem, I feel comfortable assuming that you would agree that one can thrust with a shortsword (or almost any thrust-capable weapon) more quickly than one can swing with one, yet under your model, the only thing that matters is the user's ST and the weapon's absolute weight. A shortsword still thrusts and swings at the same rate (in your model). So does a broadsword, or a greatsword, or a light horse-cutter, or even a kusari. That seems problematic.

Quote:
iii) Shields don’t protect passively.
I 100% agree. It would require one sentence in each of the shield descriptions to identify which body parts they effectively cover in the event of a random location hit. Yes, I can guess / make a fairly reasonable ruling, but it's really just a guess.

That said, I'm not convinced that your attempt to resolve it is going to work well. For one thing, it makes shield damage far, far more complicated (with DR based on margins of success, for example). I get what you're trying to do, and I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I suspect you'll have a hard time finding people willing to put up with it in actual play (and this is coming from someone who's completely redesigned the entire GURPS damage system six times and counting...)

A few other comments:
  1. I don't understand why PP apply immediately, instead of applying prospectively (i.e. starting the turn after you accrue them). Why not have Consecutive Attack #1 be unpenalized, Consecutive Attack #2 have one-attack's worth of PP? (It looks like you do it this way for defenses, where the first defense is unpenalized but successive ones without intervening recovery are penalized.)

If your goal is to represent heavier weapons being "slower on the draw," then what you should be using is the Matter of Inches rules (Martial Arts pg. 110). Your Combat Example 1 uses the language that Jerry is attacking with his axe "without any preparation," but having a ready weapon is preparation. If he has truly no preparation, then the weapon isn't ready and can't attack (and yes, it's possible and legal to hold a weapon in your hand and it not actually be Ready).

In fact, the Matter of Inches rules might be a good place to turn for "fixing" your PP assessments, or at least give you a good sense of what else you should consider—in particular, I'd suggest the Relative Weapon Weight and the Swing vs. Thrust (the Absolute Weapon Weight rule has nothing to do with maneuverability of a weapon, and Weapon Length isn't really pertinent here).

2. It seems like you may be double-counting Shield DB in the event of a Block defense—it "counts" once on the attack, as the attacker has to beat Shield DB in order not to hit the shield, and then it "counts" again on the defense roll.

3. I don't understand why PP accrued for making a block apply to subsequently making a Dodge or Parry, or for that matter, an attack (and vice versa).

Quote:
    I've never fought like this before. Usually attacking as fast as I could gave me better results :)
    Under the absolute, Basic RAW, this is mathematically correct. Making two unmodified attacks on successive turns is statistically more likely to result in landing at least one of them than taking an Evaluate + Single Attack.

However, the Last Gasp gives very good reasons not to attack indefinitely.

Additionally, Evaluate confers other benefits besides its bonus to hit. If your opponent is prone to using Deceptive Attacks or making Feints, it gives you a bonus to resist them (and thus helps keep you alive). If you're only going to get one shot at hitting somebody and you have to make it count, then obviously Evaluating is going to be a good idea.

Quote:
Why would someone with ever choose a shortsword over a broadsword? He could do it for roleplaying resons, but not for game mechanic reasons.
For purely game mechanic reasons:
  • Cost. Shortswords are cheaper than Thrusting Broadswords. (And 10,000 shortswords are cheaper than 10,000 thrusting broadswords, if you're equipping an army.)

• Weight/ST. Weaker characters in particular might shave a bit of encumbrance by using a lighter weapon.

• Being Tricksy. A ST 12 character starts getting Matter of Inches bonuses when using a Shortsword (MinST 8), so if he's the sort who likes making Feints, this may be a good option.

• Holdout. It's harder to smuggle a broadsword into somewhere you aren't supposed to have a weapon.

• Skill Synergies. Shortsword can provide very generous defaults to both Broadsword and Knife. Broadsword provides a generous default to Shortsword, and a rather tougher default to Two-Handed Sword. In addition, the Shortsword skill includes a couple of weapons that can be used at Reach C (particularly the Long Knife), which you won't find in the Broadsword equipment list and which can be very handy if your character is the sort to get up in enemies' faces.

• Eldritch Wonder. Your character found a magic sword! But it's a shortsword, not a broadsword.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:21 AM   #9
Bibiribobiri

Thank you guys for the feedback! Very much appreciated :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ok, I think I see what you are trying to do here. Trying to slow down combat, and slow it down in such a way that the weapon you are using matters, are both commendable goals. And the penalty point mechanic is a decent way to do it. I have a couple of observations though:

Your PP curve is too steep and tied solely to weight. The dagger can attack five times faster than the axe -- that's a balance issue. Twice as fast I could see. Three times I might hee and haw with. Five times? too large a difference. You need to also consider the ergonomics of the weapon, and the movement the arm has to perform.

Most combat should probably start the battle with BP. This is probably what gurps calls the ready manuever.

This system is related to 'The Last Gasp'. It won't do everything you want, but its worth looking at.

Also, folks with access to a broadsword don't go for short swords unless there are very specific reasons for it. The one army that I know of that did it (rome) used it in very very tight fighting where the longer length of a broadsword was a liability.
An average Lumberjack with ST11/DX10 gets 3 BP per Wait (I did not use “Ready Axe” because the maneuver is not limited to a single weapon, but to all of the characters actions) plus removes one PP per turn.

He can attack once every two turns with an axe (4 PP) vs once every turn with a dagger (1 PP), assuming the dagger wilder won’t have to wait very often ( he would do it once in a while because he will accumulated PP as he defends). Thus only being twice as fast.

The main problem with the axe is that, if he needs to parry, he will get 2 PP and the dagger only 1 PP. Also the axe will need a wait before the attack and the dagger probably wont, making the dagger wilder strike first.

With this system, a broadsword (3PP for ST 10) would be better than a shortsword (2 PP for ST 10) for dealing basic damage but would be slightly slower. No weapon would actually be "superior" to the other.

Ergonomics and arm movement could be considered as with Unbalanced vs Balanced, adding or subtracting Weapon’s Weight (WW) in PP calculation (remember that an axe is 4 pounds but gives 5 PP to a 10 ST char). Maybe a thurst could calculate the PP as if the weapon had WW-1. It would make trusting a little faster than swinging.

Last edited by Bibiribobiri; 01-05-2016 at 06:45 AM. Reason: small correction
Old 11-10-2015, 02:59 AM   #10
(E)

In a fantasy setting a Weapon enchantment could be created to reduce PP.

Situation modifiers should be considered, i.e. fighting in a crowded space with lots of obstructions to weapon use. Fighting on a slippery surface.

Last edited by (E); 11-10-2015 at 03:09 AM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battle, combat, fan made, house rules, shield