Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Ah_Ftagn

Default [RAW] Rasputin: The Legend

This is an academic question perhaps (Unless I revive my RPM campaign), but nonetheless one I'm fascinated to hear about:

How would someone, using the rules as written from the Basic Set, stat up Rasputin (The "Legend", IE, the man who was shot, stabbed, castrated, poisoned etc. before eventually dying of drowning after being thrown into a freezing cold river)?

Try to be semi-realistic in this, but remember that this is based more upon the legend and it's historical context, than the historical figure itself. IE, some breaks from reality are allowable, but the man shouldn't be immortal or magical.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Kuba

Default Re: [RAW] Rasputin: The Legend

Some combination of high HT, Hard to Kill/Subdue and some lucky rolls.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
PTTG

Yeah, I'd go with Ridiculous Luck and high HT.

That alone could reasonably let him survive the poison, the shot, etc., only to run out of Luck after he's under the water.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
Phantasm

"Realistically" speaking, I'd give him HT 18-20. The man led a very active life and surely contracted all sorts of diseases prior to his opponents trying unsuccessfully to repeatedly kill him, after all. A blanket Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3) or even (+8) might work for him on top of his HT; this is, of course, assuming he actually drowned (I recall there being reports of sightings of him for several years afterward, much like reports of Anastasia's survival).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:15 AM   #5
dfinlay

Honestly, HT 15 and a level of Hard to Subdue would probably be more than sufficient. He maybe got a -2 or -3 for the poison and did a few HT rolls to stay alive for damage (say two rolls, dropped to -2xHP). He then made quite a few rolls to stay conscious, though not that many because he wasn't doing much (say a dozen).

This gives him survival odds of 0.74 x 0.95^2 x 0.98^12=0.52

So, more than 50% chance of pulling off what he did. That's probably good. If you give him some Luck, it gets even higher.
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set, gurps 4th edition, historical figures, raw