Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default DF Monsters: A Wizard did It!

This is a 'seed' thread, where people are invited to come and share their seeds for DF style monsters that obviously have a mad wizard behind them. Full monsters aren't really asked for as much as the idea of the monster. Existing monster Repos are good to link to, but I'm mostly looking for new Stuff, and stuff that would be either made or obtained and controlled by a mad wizard.

This seed thread is strongly inspired by DF Monsters 3: Born of Myth and Magic. I'm hoping for Interesting tactical challenges, and an "I wasn't expecting that" element. Thanks for any help!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DF Monsters: A Wizard did It!

And to start things off:

smokamander:

A vile blind warty creature perhaps 15 feet long and fond of caves. The creature breathes out a vile smoke that is poisonous to those that inhale it, and completely blocks the sight of those within it. It does have infravision and a nasty maw. The smoke of a merely average specimin can fill up to 40 hexes, and is replenished at the rate of 1 hex per second. The smoke does not magically follow the creature around, but is heavier than air. Though most of the time the lair is in a suitable depression to keep a full tank of death

Dakka Golem:
Essentially a normal-sized (SM -3?) repeating crossbow on legs with arms that let it operate itself. They're small, but surprizingly strong and usually found in numbers and in hard to reach locations. They're made of wood, and thus homogenous, but flamable. If the correct parts are broken, you can get a crossbow with cornecopia on its magazine, but if you break the wrong parts, its kindling.

Tapestry Golem:
Tapestry Golems are flexible, animated lengths of fabric perfect for guarding entraces you don't want to stick a big obvious statue next to. Tapestry Golems appear as rugs, carpets, bed handings, and other upholstry until the moment they strike. Tapestry Golems are homogenous and completely immune to crushing damage (but not knockback), and have a constriction attack. Tapestry golems no longer look nearly as fine once they've been through a battle or two, but who will suspect the curtain? The theif is already worried about what's BEHIND the curtain...

Levitating Basalisk:
Most Basalisks are fearsome beasts, capable of killing at a glance. This beast is less fearsome. Its gaze merely levitates its victims, moving them upwards at a rate of 1 yard/ second. The beast does not have to concentrate to do this. After one minute, the spell will end, and if somthing hasn't prevented it, the victim will fall 60 yards to the ground below -- a velocity of 36, doing about 1d per 3 HP. This this ability can be harnessed by the clever should be obvious.

Other 'minor effects' for basalisks include inflicting nausea or teleporting victims a short distance in a random direction.

Spike Beast
Some creatures have long horns. And then there are spike beasts. Spike beasts are slung low to the ground, have thick, armored skin, and have long curved sharp spikes that reach out 4 yards in front of the animal. There are around 20 such spikes, with smaller ones surrounding the beast on its back and side. The spikes are dense enough the trying to squeeze through them will always end up in a grapple (at least for medium sized creatures) or implaled. The creatures are understandably hard to manuever though. Its though they are some mad wizard's attempt to fight calvary...

Naming these is hard. Suggestions are more than welcome

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
Rasputin

Air sharks!

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
b-dog

I would think Stormbringer would be perfect for the type of monsters you are describing. Just substitute magic for chaos.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Air sharks are from the Stormbringer game.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Air sharks are from the Stormbringer game.
Actually, they're from the Arduin Grimoire.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
Nymdok

Speaking of Air Sharks....

I really like the idea of a GINORMOUS Manta/Sting Ray with a Basking shark style mouth that subsists as a 'filter' feeder on Pollen/Mold Spores/Air born partices instead of plankton.

It'd ahve to be HUGE and more than a bit magical. You can have it be 'mildly' carnivorous (like a Venus Flytrap or Pitcher plant) in that it doesnt seek out larger life, but it IS capable of digesting them....slowly.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Dakka Golem:
Essentially a normal-sized (SM -3?) repeating crossbow on legs with arms that let it operate itself. They're small, but surprizingly strong and usually found in numbers and in hard to reach locations. They're made of wood, and thus homogenous, but flamable. If the correct parts are broken, you can get a crossbow with cornecopia on its magazine, but if you break the wrong parts, its kindling.
I had a few of these in my game. They were large, siege crossbows though, on four jointed, brass, kinda insect-like legs. Freaked the heck out of my players.

I just called them Arbalestiers (an arbalest is a kind of crossbow).

Crystaline grue
This mold (per DFM2) looks like clusters of white quartzite crystals growing in the cracks of flagstones and furniture, in the tooth- and eye-sockets of corpses, and other creepy places. If disturbed it emits an unearthly crystal chime that deafens, causes headaches, and attracts Elder Things (treat the grue as if it's a Mentalist using psionic powers to make the annoying noise).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #9
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Tapestry Golem:
Tapestry Golems are flexible, animated lengths of fabric perfect for guarding entraces you don't want to stick a big obvious statue next to. Tapestry Golems appear as rugs, carpets, bed handings, and other upholstry until the moment they strike. Tapestry Golems are homogenous and completely immune to crushing damage (but not knockback), and have a constriction attack. Tapestry golems no longer look nearly as fine once they've been through a battle or two, but who will suspect the curtain? The theif is already worried about what's BEHIND the curtain...
A related construct
The sack Golem
This patient construct usually just waits, balled up in a corner near some treasure. Once someone picks it up it will wait for an opportunity to engulf and strangle it's prey.

The main problem with dealing with a sack golem that has wrapped itself around someones head and upper body is blow through. . .
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
(E)

Collar of sustenance
This collar is a product of a combined food/mind control enchantment that allows the animal wearing it to patiently wait for decades.

It may be seen around the neck of a tiger that is the sole occupant of a locked 10 foot by 10 foot room.

Last edited by (E); 09-17-2016 at 09:34 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, monsters