Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Henchman99942

Default Combat Target Question

When you deliberately target a body part that can be either on the left or right side of the body (Eye(s), Hand(s), Arm(s), Leg(s), etc...) What are the options and restrictions available and how do they work? I mean, is it assumed you have to pick either the right or left eye? Or are you targeting the "eyes" and you roll to determine which you hit? And how about the hands or legs? Is it possible to target "eyes" or "hands" as an either or and you get a +1 to hit but then roll randomly?

I am assuming that the attacker has to pick either the left or the right and that the modifier assumes this. I would probably allow the attacker to target the "eyes" as a single target (at +1 for both and roll randomly) I would disallow targeting the hands the same way because they are too far apart to target as a single area. And how about targeting the lower body (legs, feet) and the upper Body (torso, head) as a single target with a unique random location roll?

I do not know if this was brought up before or not. I did a quick search of the archives and could not find anything.

Meh.
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Witigis

Default Re: Combat Target Question

As far as I understand the rules, in case of targeting bodyparts like arms or hands you state if you are attacking the left or right side, or, to explain it perhaps more easily, the weapon or shield side.
When you look at the description in GURPS Basic, p.399, it gives you different modifiers for either case, if your target is using a shield (frex hand at -8 with a shield, -4 without).
In cases where the attacker just announces an intended hit on a bodypart without using a specific side, for example "I put a bullet into his legs to prevent him from escaping", I would apply the stated modifier and roll randomly in case of a hit, if the left or right (or which of the eight legs of an arachnoid target) was hit in case this is necessary for further play.
If to know the exact target position is necessary because of differences in the modifiers (like in case of the shield above), I would ask the player for a more precise statement.
I would never apply something as a +1 modifier for multiple limbs, as a targeted attack, regardless of how many targets are available, attacks only one of them in any case.
This is apart from the fact, that sometimes the situation limits the available choices (such as cover).
Witigis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body, part, side, target