Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
pjason

Default Semi-ablative

Just to confirm... If I have DR that has the Semi-ablative (-20%) limitation on it, the DR reduces by 1 for every 10 damage that is done total (not 1 for every hit over 10 damage).

Thus being hit by 5 attacks that all do 2 points each would ablate the DR by 1. Correct?

Also, what about armor divisors? I like the idea that a smaller hole (3d(2) pi) vs a larger hole (3d pi++) would do less damage to the armor. Just not sure if this is RAW.
pjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Semi-ablative

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjason
Just to confirm... If I have DR that has the Semi-ablative (-20%) limitation on it, the DR reduces by 1 for every 10 damage that is done total (not 1 for every hit over 10 damage).

Thus being hit by 5 attacks that all do 2 points each would ablate the DR by 1. Correct?
No for semiablative you need 10 damage in one hit. so 5*2 dam wouldn't reduce DR. You would need 1*10 DR. And it doesn't 'carry over'. If you take 9 dam in one turn and 13 in another, you do not lose 2 DR. Only 1 from the 13 damage.

You could houserule that you add all damage in a single turn to determine how much the DR is reduced, but that would be a houserule.

Quote:
Also, what about armor divisors? I like the idea that a smaller hole (3d(2) pi) vs a larger hole (3d pi++) would do less damage to the armor. Just not sure if this is RAW.
They do not have any effect. You would have to make a houserule for that as well.
If you would do it I don't think it should be based on Armour Divisor but rather on Pi modifier. Just say that the Pi modifier applies to the "armour damage" as well.
So your two attack above, the first would on average do 11 dam, reducing DR with 1.
The second would also do 11 dam, but double it for Pi++ to 22 dam, reducing the DR with 2.

Personally I also use more 'levels' of ablativeness so that you can have DR that is reduced per 5 damage taken or 15 damage taken:

New limitation. Levels of Ablative.
Ablative (7): 1 DR per 1 dam = -80%
Ablative (6): 1 DR per 2 dam = -60%
Ablative (5): 1 DR per 3 dam = -40%
Ablative (4): 1 DR per 5 dam = -30%
Ablative (3): 1 DR per 10 dam = -20%
Ablative (2): 1 DR per 15 dam = -15%
Ablative (1): 1 DR per 20 dam = -10%
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
pjason

Thanks for the responce. I always take your posts seriously when lurking and appriciate your oppinion.

Quote:
You could houserule that you add all damage in a single turn to determine how much the DR is reduced, but that would be a houserule.
Is this how corrosive damage works as well?

Also, if I have Semi-ablative DR of 5, and get hit by 20 damage, it would drop to DR 3, even thought he DR only stopped 5 damage that turn?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Maz

Quote:
Thanks for the responce. I always take your posts seriously when lurking and appriciate your oppinion.
Thank you, I'm all flattered now. Heh.

Quote:
Is this how corrosive damage works as well?
Uhm you mean if the corrosive damage do not carry over? Then yes.

If you get hit by 5*2 corrosive damage it wouldn't reduce DR.

Unless, again you made a houserule that said; that if it was within a single turn it should be added. I think this would be a fair houseruling actually.
So 5*2 = 10 = 2 DR reduction.
Maybe just say "from a single attacker" and not "in a single turn".

Quote:
Also, if I have Semi-ablative DR of 5, and get hit by 20 damage, it would drop to DR 3, even thought he DR only stopped 5 damage that turn?
Yes, that is correct.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
GnomesofZurich

It's my understanding that corrosive damage does carry over for the purpose of reducing DR; however, my books are a 250 km away right now, so it's difficult to verify. In both cases, I think it makes a lot of sense that it's cumulative, but it's possible that it is not in the rules as written.

Doing 2 points of Corrosive damage one turn, followed by 5 the next and 3 the turn after should reduce DR by 1 in my opinion. If you have a page reference that indicates otherwise, I would be interested to see it.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich
It's my understanding that corrosive damage does carry over for the purpose of reducing DR; however, my books are a 250 km away right now, so it's difficult to verify. In both cases, I think it makes a lot of sense that it's cumulative, but it's possible that it is not in the rules as written.

Doing 2 points of Corrosive damage one turn, followed by 5 the next and 3 the turn after should reduce DR by 1 in my opinion. If you have a page reference that indicates otherwise, I would be interested to see it.
Characters P.61 "For every 5 points of basic damage you inflict, reduce the targets DR by 1, in addition to regular damage".

It doesn't specify that it carries over, but then again it do not specify that it doesn't carry over either. However all other things in GURPS do not carry over. In particular damage to Ablative DR, which is the best to compare with, do not carry over.

It would also be a lot more bookkeeping if you had to keep track of exactly how much corrosive damage you DR had taken. Especially if you use Locations as you would then have to keep track of the build up of damage on each location.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Erik_Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich

Corrosive (cor) attacks defined:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B379
Corrosion: An attack that inflicts corrosion (cor) damage -- acid, disintegration beams, etc.-- destroys one point of the target's DR per 5 points of basic damage rolled. This affects armor first, then natural DR. This reduces DR against future attacks, not against the attack that burned off the DR! Natural DR lost by living beings heals at the same rate as lost HP.
So corrosive attacks reduce DR based on what the RAW call basic damage. Let's jump back to the definition of basic damage:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B377
If your attack roll succeeds and your target fails his defense roll (if any), you hit him! If your attack is one that can do damage, you must now make a "damage roll." This tells you how much basic damage you deal to your target.
By definition, then, basic damage is whatever you roll on your damage roll.

Fortunately, you need not even go to a house rule for cumulative corrosive damage; simply adopt and adapt the Optional rule for Accumulated Wounds under B420 or add a Cosmic (Cumulative +100%) modifier to the Corrosive Attack.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
pjason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_Nielsen
Corrosive (cor) attacks defined:
Thanks again for your ecyclopedic knowledge of the GURPS rules. Seriously.

You've brought clarity to yet another one of my threads. Uber-thanks!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
Erik_Nielsen

Quote:
Thanks again for your ecyclopedic knowledge of the GURPS rules. Seriously.

You've brought clarity to yet another one of my threads. Uber-thanks!
No worries! I just hope I'm in-bounds by copying over small chunks of the source material.

Also, keep asking the tough questions; without them, I won't have an excuse to keep looking this stuff up.