Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Hemlock

Default Imagined this the other day

A variation on the standard arena duel that can be played competitively or cooperatively.

All players have a custom Division 5 car (no cycles or trikes) and a set-up to duel in a large, open arena. I imagined it at Buffalo Murphy Memorial; but any large, open arena with lots of gates works ... smaller arenas like Rainbow Bay Blast Furnace DO NOT work for reasons which will become obvious.

After 5 seconds of regular duelling, the gates open up again and a new car enters the arena. Each of these new cars is a Killer Kart(KK). The KKs will never purposely hurt each other or ram each other and seemed to be programmed to attack the PCs' custom vehicles. Generally speaking, the KKs will drive toward the nearest PC, accelerate to attempt to chase down the PCs and use 'pack tactics' to try to killthe PCs cars. After the initial wave of KKs, another wave of KKs will be released into the arena every D6+4 seconds until the PCs are dead or have scored enough 'points' to end the competition. There are endless waves of KKs.

The PC's score points for kills ... 2 points for another PC, and 3 points for a KK. Also, if they kill another PC, the get a bonus equal to 50% of the points that PC had.

How would you go about building a car to survive this and beat down as many KKs as possible ? Ramcars won't have enough armor. Guns won't have enough ammo to kill them all.

Obviously, metal armor will help ... the KKs only got a single MG ... 5 points of metal armor per side will last a LONG time against a horde of KKs ... But taking that much metal is going to your other options.

What would you do ?
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
ammulder

Default Re: Imagined this the other day

I'm not sure there's much point in waiting 5 seconds... I would think a PC would do better to save up for the Killer Karts, or at least not try to hurt other PCs until they've scored some points that can be stolen.

How many points do you need to end the duel?

Are the Killer Karts restricted from intentionally ramming the PCs? (Otherwise, you'd think endless waves could just kamikaze ram the PCs into submission.)

Can you fit a light laser in Div 5? :)

Maybe a dropped weapon with loads of ammo that you lay down in front of the Killer Kart gates? Even JDs could do...
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Hemlock

Quote:
I'm not sure there's much point in waiting 5 seconds... I would think a PC would do better to save up for the Killer Karts, or at least not try to hurt other PCs until they've scored some points that can be stolen.

How many points do you need to end the duel?

Are the Killer Karts restricted from intentionally ramming the PCs? (Otherwise, you'd think endless waves could just kamikaze ram the PCs into submission.)

Can you fit a light laser in Div 5? :)

Maybe a dropped weapon with loads of ammo that you lay down in front of the Killer Kart gates? Even JDs could do...
How many points ? say 15 points or so ... 5 KKs killed by an individual PC ... or less if they kill another PC and add the points to the total.

And the KK's would be restricted from intentionally ramming the PC's ... they'd try to maintain a reasonable stand-off distance (say d6+2") and hammer away with their MGs.

Yes, you can fight a LL into Div 5. Vehicle Guide 3 had such a design in it.

And I like the Dropped weapon idea. The KKs only have HD tires and 3 spipke counters next to the gate should be enough to usually generate a kill ... and spikes don't go away unless the are explosive.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
43Supporter

Subcompact; metal armor; FC or FO of some sort, as KKs are weak on T and U armor.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
juris

KK's are no match for modern Div 5's vehicles. It'd be hugely expensive.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote