Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 02-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Steven Marsh

Default New Releases at e23 for GM's Day. How awesome is your GM?

Greetings, all!

As we noted today, GM's day is coming up soon. In honor of this international holiday, we want to hear all about what makes your GM awesome.

(Yes, we know it's a bit offtopic for this venue, but it's our forums and we'll do what we want... bwah-hah-hah!)

So: Sound off with thanks, encouragements, and anecdotes about how cool your GMs are.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
griffin

Default Re: How Awesome Is Your GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Greetings, all!

As we noted today, GM's day is coming up soon. In honor of this international holiday, we want to hear all about what makes your GM awesome.

(Yes, we know it's a bit offtopic for this venue, but it's our forums and we'll do what we want... bwah-hah-hah!)

So: Sound off with thanks, encouragements, and anecdotes about how cool your GMs are.
Can't you at least put this in the Roleplaying forum where it belongs. It's easy enough to mention here (and in the GURPS forum) with appropriate links to the appropriate forum. Why set a bad precedent?
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
mlvalentine

Default Re: How Awesome Is Your GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Can't you at least put this in the Roleplaying forum where it belongs. It's easy enough to mention here (and in the GURPS forum) with appropriate links to the appropriate forum. Why set a bad precedent?
Why? Because we're trying something new! We will be releasing new games for people to download at e23 on GM's Day, which is Sunday, March 4th, and will link to them in this thread. We were hoping to have a conversation with e23 customers and fans that wasn't just about "Buy our stuff at e23."

So, to answer Steven's question about GM's...

For me, what makes a GM awesome is one who can cause me to have an emotional reaction during the game. That's when I know how invested I am in the story. Sometimes, that sneaks up on me! Does anyone know if that was covered in Robin's Laws of Good Game Mastering? Sadly, it's been a while since I read it.

- M

Last edited by mlvalentine; 02-29-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Avoid duplication and redundancy.
mlvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
mehrkat

Default Re: New Releases at e23 for GM's Day. How awesome is your GM?

Alas I'm usually the GM. Not sure I'm awesome but willing and alright at it. Miss my old GM that used to run about half the games I played in. He could form hooks that latched right into his players emotions and made them excited to keep going while he manipulated those poor characters lives like a cruel cruel artist.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
whswhs

My GM comes up with really cool nightmares for our characters in Road to R'lyeh, her Call of Cthulhu campaign. They're not just scary but woven around things that carry emotional meaning for them.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

My GMs (there are several among the people I play with) combine enthusiasm for their settings with considerable indulgence for their players' preferences and genuine delight when they do something clever, no matter how much it diverges from whatever the GMs are prepared to deal with.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Don't tell my GM, but he's getting a copy of Vorkosigan Saga for GM's Day. (The hardcover, not the e23 product.)

I was getting jaded with gaming altogether, until he started a new game which got me looking forward to Sunday gaming again. That's worth a hardcover book, IMHO...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

My GM puts up with my griping and general runs a pretty fun game.

That said, is there any way yet to gift e23 pdfs? Other than the buy it without logging in and using the recipient's email that is?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-01-2012 at 07:24 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
SCAR

My GM tells a really great story.
I'm not really a Vampire fan (WoD rules or style), yet I've played in 2 Vampire games run by him, one short and one long, and really enjoy them both. Sucker for punishment!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
mlvalentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
My GM puts up with my griping and general runs a pretty fun game.

That said, is there any way yet to gift e23 pdfs? Other than the buy it without logging in and using the recipient's email that is?
Not yet, but it is definitely part of the planning for the new cart mentioned in the Stakeholder's Report.