Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
Dalin

Default Simplified character sheet / handouts?

In a recent (last six months?) thread on either this forum or the DFRPG forum, I remember seeing a post from someone where they included a set of ultra-simple character sheets that they use with players new to GURPS. I don't remember if it was for a convention or a family game or what, but I was impressed with the simplicity of the format. My search-fu has failed me (even with Google's help) and I can't seem to find the post. Does this ring a bell for anyone else?

(As background: I'm about to launch the latest iteration of a middle-school DFRPG activity. I'm hoping to simplify my character sheets for new players.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Antiquation!

Default Re: Simplified character sheet / handouts?

I believe you are thinking of Mook's Simplified Character Sheet.

http://www.themook.net/gamegeekery/gurps-for-one-shots/

See a link to version 2 via the link above.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
thalcos

Also, the GURPS adventures I have on my blog (which have all been run repeatedly at conventions for first-time players):

https://1shotadventures.com/

All include character sheets that are tweaked for new players (short descriptions of non-intuitive advantages, simplified range chart, etc.). And lots of fun handouts :-)
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Antiquation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalcos View Post
Also, the GURPS adventures I have on my blog (which have all been run repeatedly at conventions for first-time players):

https://1shotadventures.com/

All include character sheets that are tweaked for new players (short descriptions of non-intuitive advantages, simplified range chart, etc.). And lots of fun handouts :-)
Yes, these are excellent. Not only the simplified/newbie-friendly character formats but the adventures themselves, the handouts, the layout and style, everything.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
Dalin

Both Mook and Thalcos' material is excellent but wasn't what I remembered. I wish I could recall any specific details. I remember, though, that the handouts were a single side of a piece of paper and were really basic with attributes, attack/defense, a few key skills, a couple of advantages and disadvantages, etc. It dispensed with things like point costs, but definitely explained things. Magic was also greatly simplified with characters having a few basic spells. I don't know that I would take things to such a simple level, but I found the idea inspiring and wanted to try to dig up the examples again.

With that said, I find both Mook and Thalcos similarly inspiring... but I already have that material bookmarked.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
Antiquation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Both Mook and Thalcos' material is excellent but wasn't what I remembered. I wish I could recall any specific details. I remember, though, that the handouts were a single side of a piece of paper and were really basic with attributes, attack/defense, a few key skills, a couple of advantages and disadvantages, etc. It dispensed with things like point costs, but definitely explained things. Magic was also greatly simplified with characters having a few basic spells. I don't know that I would take things to such a simple level, but I found the idea inspiring and wanted to try to dig up the examples again.

With that said, I find both Mook and Thalcos similarly inspiring... but I already have that material bookmarked.
Hmm. In that case I'm intrigued, I don't recall coming across such a thing. I'll post it here if I manage to find it.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
In a recent (last six months?) thread on either this forum or the DFRPG forum, I remember seeing a post from someone where they included a set of ultra-simple character sheets that they use with players new to GURPS (...)
Mh... Could it be the character sheet by Coronatiger?
Old 10-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I've got a couple handouts I usually give to new players, usually printing them on the front & back of a single sheet.

The first is the One Page GURPS rules, which contain a quick breakdown of everything that's on the character sheet and a really simplified primer of the GURPS rules.

The second is my Combat Cheat Sheet, which contains a Speed/Range table, Hit Location and Advanced Hit Location table, a listing of all standard Combat Maneuvers, and even manages to squeeze in a small table showing standard damage types and their effects.

You can find these and more at my website.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
Dalin

I'm glad that this thread is at least having the impact of pulling together so many excellent resources into one place. Still haven't found what I so dimly recall. Maybe I'm imagining it.

On a side note, while preparing to teach the basics of DFRPG to a dozen eager new players, I pillaged the internet for a simple chart of the odds of rolling under a number on three dice. Naturally, my Google search pointed me at this picture from a 2015 post by Douglass Cole on Gaming Ballistic. Doug serves our community so well!
Old 10-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
Dalin

On another side note, one of my high school teaching colleagues asked his students recently about their best experience of the school year thus far. One of his tenth graders (and an alum of my DFRPG activity) responded, "Playing GURPS last weekend!"