Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 10-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default October 26, 2018: Webcomics I'm Reading (Part 1/2)

October 26, 2018: Webcomics I'm Reading (Part 1/2)

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:00 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: October 26, 2018: Webcomics I'm Reading (Part 1/2)

Some webcomics I like:

Skin Horse: Mad science that's Mad. Start from the beginning, or with its predecessor strip, Narbonic

Questionable Content: Character comedy and drama in a world like ours, except for the AIs.

Freefall: Far-future AI comedy.

Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic: Appearances are erratic nowadays, but there's a deep archive of the kind of drama that evokes the best fantasy games of our youth.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
Michael Cule

Let me add my support for Skinhorse and mention that I bought the print collection of NARBONIC, the previous story set in the same universe.

There's also

Grrl Power the story of an OCD nerd girl, her mysterious alien artifact and the super team who recruit her.

Full Front Nerdity the story of a long suffering GM and his fiendish players. That link will also take you to PS238 and USE SWORD ON MONSTER.

El Goonish Shive a soap opera of transgendering, magical, weird schoolchildren and their powerful mostly ancient godlike relatives. At least that's what I think it's about. There are too many people to keep track of and I never really figured out what the griffins were doing there.

Up to 4 Players is about four gamers of European extraction living in London.

Lager and Limehouse is a silly weekly thing about a game obsessed South African living in London.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
PJ3

Darths & Droids - What if Star Wars wasn't a series of films, but a Sci-Fi RPG campaign written by someone for his friends? Uses stills from the films to illustrate the adventure (which doesn't always follow the narrative of the films, cuz players are wonderful about derailing adventures!). includes "tips" on "improving" your game experience after nearly every comic

Girl Genius - Phil and Kaja' Foglio's (of Munchin Steampunk fame) epic tale af adventure, romance, and mad science! It started as a paper-and-ink comic, but quickly went digital (presumably due to being easier and cheaper to publish) and the physical comic pages have since been scanned to the server.

The Order of the Stick - What started as a stick-figureish comic featuring bad D&D jokes had evolved into an epic (if humorous and meta) tale of a band of adventurers trying to save the world (that are drawn in a stick-figure style). I use one of the characters as my avatar

"Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?"
PJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
whswhs

Like John Dallman, I read both Freefall and Questionable Content. I also look fairly often at Scandinavia and the World, which has some really clever characterizations of various countries envisioned as people; I especially like the complex family relationship between United Kingdom and his various kids.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
Terquem

I like

Evil Inc.

And I stopped reading Girl Genius. I love the work of Phil and Kaja Foglio, really love it, but I am tired of the cast of Girl Genius and their troubles. I just wish the story would end, you no, just end, with characters happy or not, and then see them start something new because I love they way the art is presented and the story telling is good. I just want to read about someone different now, same world, new characters.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
Mack_JB

I've been enjoying the work of Dave Kellett in his "Drive" strip.

http://www.drivecomic.com/

Galactic scale, convoluted plot, goofy at times.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
Phil Masters

I'd second many of the titles already named. In addition, I don't think that anyone has mentioned these:
  • Spinnerette is a well-drawn if occasionally slightly thinly plotted exercise in costumed superheroics.
  • Dresden Codak is painfully infrequently updated and virtually incomprehensible when it does appear. But there's something deeply weird and intense going on there.
  • User Friendly is a finished classic that's currently being re-run from the start. (Same goes for Girls With Slingshots, come to think of it.)
  • Scenes from a Multiverse seems to have slightly odd publication arrangements, with one site running current strips and another running reprints or something. Note that Jon Rosenberg has a clear idea what he thinks about contemporary US politics, and isn't backwards in expressing himself - in deranged and oddly beautiful art.
  • The mighty and awe-inspiring Scary-Go-Round is currently on extended hiatus while John Allison writes actual comics, but he's keeping his hand in with Bobbins.Horse, which backfills the early history of the Tackleford Universe (with the arbitrary discipline of a classic four-panel strip, just because). So it's back to the '90s, when Shelley may not even have died once yet.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
adm

There are a of of good ones on here, another that appears to have been missed is Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, it's a semi gag a day, and semi serious strip that is sort of a cross on XKCD and Irregular Web Comic.

Another one that I will not attempt to describe beyond started as a gag a day a decade or two ago and has morphed into social commentary is Sinfest.

P.S.; I wonder how many of these will be on the part two blog?

Last edited by adm; 10-26-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Final thought.
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
thorr-kan

Cool! The Man himself like a lot of webcomics I like! (Thought I need to get back into SSSS; I started an archive trawl and I need to catch up.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
Full Front Nerdity the story of a long suffering GM and his fiendish players. That link will also take you to PS238 and USE SWORD ON MONSTER.
Use Sword on Monster is great.

And it also hosts P.S. 238...
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote