Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #21
Hex
Banned

Default Re: Have you played in the Mad Lands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsonist
For some reason, Eeyore the Donkey is The Moose in the Mad Lands, but the rest share the race of their respective God.
Too bad...a donkey god would've been pretty cool...I would'a thought that the EEyore equilavant would be the evil one of the bunch...
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #22
AOTA

Quote:
Well, first of all, ALL of the gods have a Mad Lands equilvalent (Except for maybe the Gopher, which I cannot find a Pooh equivalent for, although I suspect there is one). The child is Christopher Robin.
Disney created the gopher character.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #23
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

If he's not in MadLands, he was certainly on the cover of Roleplayer...
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/Rolepla...ontents30.html
Old 04-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #24
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
If he's not in MadLands, he was certainly on the cover of Roleplayer...
The Gopher is in there page 61 of GURPS Fantasy II. I was refering that Disney created Gopher for the cartoon Winne the Pooh and wasn't an originally part of the Pooh Mythos until Disney starting working on it.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:32 AM   #25
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Ahhhh, gotcha. I'd managed to misparse the question or something.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:50 AM   #26
Akicita

Quote:
For some reason, Eeyore the Donkey is The Moose in the Mad Lands, but the rest share the race of their respective God.
There's a simple explanation - the animals are all described in terms that would make sense to a madlander. They've never seen a donkey, so they describe Eeyore as a peculiar, antlerless moose. IIRC, Kanga and Roo are also described without naming them as kangaroos, which the madlanders have also never seen, but neither do they have a local animal with which to confound them, as with the moose.
Akicita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:47 AM   #27
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Sounds like CoC to me. Not terrible in small doses, but not my cup of tea for the long haul.
It's different from both CoC and Midnight.

In CoC, you play characters who try to explore the unknown horrors, while in Midnight, you try to fight enemy armies whose members might be individually weaker than you, but who outnumber you by vast margins.

In the Mad Lands, you try your best to stay away from the horrors at all time, thanks to strong cultural taboos.

I prefer running either of the first ones to running Midnight, since PCs in these tend to be more proactive (and they tend to be more individualistic than Mad Lands PCs, too). Still, I won't sell my copy of Fantasy II - it is still a well-crafted and inspiring setting, even though it is not my cup of tea.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:17 AM   #28
Aran

So Fantasy II has nothing to do with Yrth? I never got into Fantasy/Yrth/Banestorm beyond skimming a friends copy and just assumed Fantasy II was just detailing a section of the setting.

Ripping off Winnie the Pooh as insane gods does make it sound like it would be an interesting read even if the consensus is that it's not worth a campaign. I might have to look for it now, thanks ;)
Aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #29
Saint

Thanks to everyone for their explanations about the Pooh connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran
. . . Ripping off Winnie the Pooh as insane gods does make it sound like it would be an interesting read even if the consensus is that it's not worth a campaign. I might have to look for it now, thanks ;)
It might actually be worth a campaign provided your playing group has the right mixture of people.

Essentially you've got a low-tech setting without PC magic. The Madlanders are a very primitive bunch - IIRC they haven't even achieved a Bronze Age level of technology. Also, they regard shamans as persons to be feared and avoided (and rightly so in this particular setting).

The deal-breaker for me was the fact that all the Madlander characters begin to look very much the same - i.e., another fisherman, hunter, ho-hum, etc.

Anyone "unusual" is to be shunned by the rest - they're obviously up to no good ;)

So if your players can handle a game without phat lewt, fwackoom, and sparkly gear, you might check into it.

This thread makes me wish I hadn't thrown my copy out . . .

Last edited by Saint; 04-25-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #30
Gaming_Bird

Since the book is mentoned by name in Infinate Worlds, perhaps we'll see it come back into print. While The setting is depressing and nihilistic, I can still see some good adventuring potential, as a group of players slowly turn from hunster and fishermen into 'madmen,' shunned by the fillages as they go forth to find some solution do better their lives and improve the world, (Are the gods truly crazy, or are they simply misunderstood, seeking something from the people that the villagers don't know how to give? Can the gods be killed or tricked into rampaging in other areas, bringing a lasting or brief peace to the village?) Every tyrant in history has been overthrown, and the modern tyrants will be removed from power sooner or later. Does this mean that tyranny is at an end? By no means, there will always be another tyrant springing up to make live miserable, but no tyrany has proven to be eternal. And the concept of gods dying isn't symply an expansion of 'all tyrants must be deposed,' it's a story as old as the Vikings, who feared Ragnarok, 'the death of the gods,' and the Egyptions, who had murder and ressurection in their pantheon.

The darker the cloud, the brighter the silver lining.
Gaming_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote