Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #211
Terquem

Default Re: Experience Points

I think it might be possible, maybe, that what we are seeing in the Legacy Edition is exactly what Steve promised us. A republication of the classic game from the 1970s as it was (with only those corrections that he knows would have been made then if he had better proof reading

So it has flaws - it's supposed to have flaws - it's a piece of nostalgia in a shiny new box

I love it the way it is

Next year, I imagine, there will be a The Fantasy Trip, second edition Kickstarter (or not, depending on how popular it is come next year) and then we might see the rules revised to be standardized across the different games, Melee, Wizard, and In The Labyrinth
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #212
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I think it might be possible, maybe, that what we are seeing in the Legacy Edition is exactly what Steve promised us. A republication of the classic game from the 1970s as it was (with only those corrections that he knows would have been made then if he had better proof reading

So it has flaws - it's supposed to have flaws - it's a piece of nostalgia in a shiny new box

I love it the way it is

Next year, I imagine, there will be a The Fantasy Trip, second edition Kickstarter (or not, depending on how popular it is come next year) and then we might see the rules revised to be standardized across the different games, Melee, Wizard, and In The Labyrinth
This was my original thought as well but larsdangly posted (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=159774) that the NPCs in T's Lair (PDF) had been restat-ed. I am now leaning back to that original thought and yours.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #213
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
This was my original thought as well but larsdangly posted (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=159774) that the NPCs in T's Lair (PDF) had been restat-ed. I am now leaning back to that original thought and yours.
Yes, there is definitely a lot of new material being folded in, such as new talents and the large number of talents possessed by some NPCs (implying there is a new rule for defining how many talents you can have). And, the stat blocks are greatly revised, chopping as many as 12 points of the totals for some NPCs. Plus there are a bunch of small new rules we already see in Melee/Wizard (such as the revised armor table, and the new rule for polearm charge damage). So, I'd say we are getting a game that is structurally the same (yeah!) but also significantly revised in some of its mechanics (so far also 'yeah!').

I not sure why we haven't heard a response re. my queries about the Tollenkar's Lair stat blocks. I recently saw a reposting of Steve's draft of the experience and advancement rules, and it reinforced my confusion over what I'm seeing - either the max stat total issue was revised further without our hearing of it, or the intent is that there is something special about Tollenkar and most of his sidekicks that lets them work around the system limits, or ... some other explanation not worth speculating about. I suppose it will be clarified one way or another in a few weeks.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #214
Skarg

Looking at the new TL characters, it looks clear to me that they are revised to take into account the new talents (e.g. Weapon (Expert) and Quick-Draw (Weapon)) and ability to add talents and spells in excess of IQ by using XP as in the link you posted (and as Steve writes in TL about a wizard's study plans). I have long thought it's much more interesting to have very experienced people have lower attributes but more talents without needing super-high IQ, so I really like that. The point totals don't seem to match the 40-point cap idea (I doubt Tollenkar would use a wish on mercenaries or even apprentices), but we'll see what the new rules are - my guess is the XP cost just keeps doubling over 40, or something, making it highly rare and inefficient but not impossible to break 40.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #215
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Very tricky indeed. I think this should be revised so that basic Melee and Wizard use the same XP costs as the new ITL (I like what was proposed here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=135)

However, basic Melee and Wizard can have different rules for granting XP...and at different rates.
Yes, and I just noticed that the new Wizard actually mentions this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by new Wizard page 22
Note: This system allows a wizard to add one attribute point (on the
average) for every two duels. As long as you are only playing Wizard (and/
or Melee) as a game of duels, this will work quite fairly. However, if you
are using TFT: In The Labyrinth, and playing a campaign game, use the
experience point system given there, which allows characters to gain expe-
rience for things besides fghting, rather than the above system.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #216
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yes, and I just noticed that the new Wizard actually mentions this:
Yes, but what happens if one plays a few games of Melee and Wizard and decides, "Hey, I like this. I want to move on up to ITL."

How do you convert between the two? Or do you not allow it?

^This is what I was thinking when I originally posted that. It seemed like a problem at the time but now it doesn't.

If you wish to take a character from Melee/Wizard over to ITL, just recreate the character as a starting ITL character. Not a big deal. Narrative: You died in one world to be reborn in another. Or the Mnorens transported you to another world while you were sleeping - and gave you amnesia. :)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #217
larsdangly

It hasn't come up for years, but back when this was an issue for our group we allowed characters to 'nucleate' in Melee/Wizard and then hop over to the full game whenever they wanted. It means you can brew up pretty experienced PCs in gladiatorial fighting. On the other hand, they don't have any talents, and most of your efforts to create such characters will end in tears.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #218
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
It hasn't come up for years, but back when this was an issue for our group we allowed characters to 'nucleate' in Melee/Wizard and then hop over to the full game whenever they wanted. It means you can brew up pretty experienced PCs in gladiatorial fighting. On the other hand, they don't have any talents, and most of your efforts to create such characters will end in tears.
Right-O. If one needs to create an experienced PC for ITL, just do it. Playing out several gladiatorial matches isn't necessary but could be beneficial for new players. If the intent is to play ITL, just use ITL rules from the start.

I'm hoping TFT "2E" will merge Melee/Wizard and ITL into one book/system that comes with a starting adventure where the PCs immediately find themselves wrongfully accused of some crime, arrested, and sentenced to fight in arena matches. After a few matches, a local lord buys the PCs and offers them freedom if they win The Death Test - a competition between local lords for bragging rights and an excuse for "friendly" wagers. Each of the local lords pays an entry fee to Thorz, who sets it all up. Thorz would be one of the local lords but have a nefarious reputation and backstory similar to that of "Little Finger" in Game of Thrones. He was a commoner that earned his title through morally questionable schemes and behind-the-scenes deals. If none of the teams make it out alive, he doesn't have to pay a winner's fee.

Last edited by platimus; 09-22-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #219
hcobb

ITL p44, can a character spend XP to learn a new language?