Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #131
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Michael)

A few things come up:

Traub is very surprised to find out about religious freedom. They expected earth to be under "Papist Rule". They don't quite get no state religion, but they do understand and practice a limited form of religious freedom.

Democracy they associate with towns, and find it very odd that someone would run an entire nation the same way you would run a city.

They don't seem all that concerned about the talk of throwing off a king, though if he mentions aristocracy, Traub will get a little nervous and ask how he feels about it.

-----------------------------------------

"Easy? Dost though not behold our wounds? Thou hast found the passages through means I know not."

"They be covering the way to Terr. I be believing these be tests."

They continue on through the chamber. Michael continues pointing out where various illusions lead to the next area. The tunnels are much thinner now. His senses tell him that there are only two barriers left.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:14 AM   #132
Friendpmcii

Michael doesn't bring up aristocracy, though he does bring up what is currently called the 5%. (If that is the same thing then he answers that what bothers him is that it continues the same issues and breeds fulish ness in it's people as unjust laws are still passed.)

Once Michael realizes that he is close he decides that he MUST change the subject and learn more of them before getting them what they want, "We should wait hear a bit, so tell me about this world? What do you worry about?"

He pays attention to what they say and how they say it doing a Psychology assessment, using body language and detect lies to improve it (observation skill to keep body language use hidden, and acting [9 default Performance-2] to not seem worred or paying to much attention so they don't change what they are saying bassed on his reaction.) Goal is to get an idea for what type of person he is, and maybe his captain.

(Ooc, yes Psychology really is that complicated)
Friendpmcii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:34 AM   #133
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Traub: "What be worrying me? I try to abandon worry, when I can. I suppose I worry about the profitabilty of a voyage, and the risk of one. The dangers of port also be troublesome. Ye never know when someone be getting mugged, be crossing the law nor arriving at inopportune times."

"I know not how to tell ye about Rati. We be few when compared with Terr. We have yonder islands and flying creatures. I would tell ye that we have more divers religions, but ye have crossed me in saying so. "

"I suppose I may tell ye about our cities. All be different, yet some more than others. I hail from Haberburg. Tis a quaint place, famed for red dyes and salak pies. We all wore hats, even the youth."

"Then there is Kozma, the great city of the south. They posses a spice that most improves sausage. They also posses a great church of stone, and celebrate many festivals. There is one in the summer where they make scones in the shape of a star."

"I should tell ye of an Anglish town. Scarton is big enough. We obtain wiskey from them. The Anglish be known for bread. They grind wheat rather than rye."

Michael finds out little about Captain Velsink. Traub seems to have a little more involvement in the running of the ship than the average sailor, particuarly when in port. This is not to say he's the most responsible fellow, just more reliable than your typical deck hand. His tour of the towns of Rati seems to be guided by his stomach, and he probably joined this profession to see exotic places.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #134
Friendpmcii

Just what was needed food is different with each culture, a great turning point of some type.

Being careful to ask each question after the other, Michael slowly moves the conversation.

"Wow sounds like quite the diversity of cultures, I didn't mean to stop you from talking about you religions. What types of government do they have? Which one is the captain from? Does he hold it in high regard? Why is that?"

He also looks at the second to last task, judging it on how easy/hard it is, well also acting to think it over.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #135
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its a fairly difficult one. There are six different illusions, the kind that usually hide devices, and they're scattered all over a wall. Probably some combination of them will need to be used. He can tell which is closest to the last illusion. The very last illusion feels different, somehow, and its very large.

Its pretty difficult to guess how long it will or won't take. Sometimes finding the illusion is enough, sometimes there is something more difficult.

"I was telling ye we have many religions, but that be me assuming ye all be papists. We be having many faiths. Most be followers of the cross, but there be some Jews. Some are cleansing of the papists, and others be lead by the patriarchs"

"Which governments each of the towns have? Tis varied".

Despite that claim, he describes the same elements in different patterns: Cities are run by guilds, merchant princes, or on occasion a proper democracy. Rural areas are run by their landowners, who generally have impressive rights and privileges. Some of the rural areas are built like towns. These entities form different alliances that may choose a king, a duke, an elector, or a council to dictate foreign affairs.

"Velsink, and indeed many of the crew are from Boheedon. A member of the Velsink family, and one of the merchant princes that governs Boheedon. I know not how his house feels about him. He may be in partial exile, or he may be seeing to affairs beyond Boheedon's customary neighborhood. He be spending much time afar from Home."

Old 02-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #136
Friendpmcii

Michael points to the one that is different/stonger, "This one is is powerful, likely even deadly so be careful. Do we have paper and pin? This looks like it will be an actual combination lock.

I'm guessing the captain doesn't talk much of his family? What are they like? Are they the ones who fund his expedition's?" Michael knew that someone searching for this device so drastically and with the funding needed to take out multiple explorations is likely due to heavy backing and for very important reasons.

This time he uses observation to try to detect body movements for if the interpretor is trying to hide something.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #137
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Michael can't actually see the strong put different one. Its the final source, not the second to last one.

They are cautious to part with paper and ink, but Velsink produces chalk for Michael to use, and someone finds a big flat spot a test back.

"Tis rare for him to mention his kin. And I nay be speaking with him much, and then mostly about the ship's business. The Witte Kuif (the ship) belong to the Velsink house for certain. And we have not word of his kin wanting it back. "

Traub isn't hiding any thing. Velsink does seem to be keeping his cards rather close to his chest.

Detect Lies: 12 vs 3d6 = 11 success by 1.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #138
Friendpmcii

"This may take some time as there are 6 different options, hopefully we only need to pick the correct ones. It's best we try this in a logical order, I don't think I have this much luck to randomly pick the correct one." Michael knows there are two ways this could work, one a combination like a padlock and the other as a password of on/offs.

Needing to take time he decides to try the the combination idea of needing each one in a single order, but listens/feals as he does them just to see if they make any sounds/indication that they are more like a lever than a button. (Button likely long way, lever likly shorter way.)

Thus Michael sticks his hand in the first lock to see if it works or if it sets off the fire timer, if nothing then he trys the next and so on untill he's done each one.

"Do me a favor and ask the captain what exactly we are looking for and why?" Looking for something for secret reasons didn't seem like it was something naturally good to find, Michael was starting to get more worred the more he realized there wasn't anything to learn. 'I hope the next room is well decorated to look like it's already been raded/pillaged.'

Michael uses acting to seem sereus and not nervous, and observation to watch the captains body language this time for any useful signs.

OOC:I noticed that the starting package changed, does this mean I don't have the intuition Advantage anymore?
Old 02-27-2018, 05:40 AM   #139
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

And it turns out it is a combination lock. And a pretty complex one. Each illusion except the last hides a large heavy dial of sorts. Michael can't read what's on the dials behind the illusion, but it feels like letters. The captain brings his funny lamp, and Michael is able to see the 12 letters. Each dial has a different set of letters. The last illusion hides a lever.

Traub relays Michael's request.

"He say he seeketh Terr. Or rather knowledge of Terr." Details on what exactly he's looking for aren't any more specific.

Traub then tries to get "Why" out of him. They have a little chat before Traub relays the info.

"For fame and fortune, and for knowledge. Fame from solving that which no other has solved. Fortune for trade with Terr. Knowledge of our legendary past"

This appears to be their equivalent of looking for El Dorado or the holy grail.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #140
Friendpmcii

"You want to risk thousands of lives for wealth and glory? If it is a gate you better build some strong defense's from it getting to this place because what was on that wall is small compared to what is over there now." Michael stops his ranting to breath and all the energy drains from him. Thinking about it Michael realizes that it has been hours sense he got hear and when he started he barely had any sleep.

"I'm getting tired we should go to sleep, this lock has 50 thousand posabilitys. I can't just guess my way through them and what is on the other side seems so different that it could be a death trap, we should be ready for it. None of these gates are going to reset themselves are they?"

Tags
lost in dreams