Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
lvk

Default Re: [Spaceships] Choosing Combat Scale and Turn Length

vicky_molokh,
Quote:
Evasive Action (by the large craft) automagically, without needing a roll, breaks all Rendezvous and Engagements. So what's the point?
If your battleship has nothing better to do than to evade pesky fighter...
And if you have enough thrust (and fuel to waste) to get an acceleration bonus...
Then you can break from Hugging at will, I think.
Quote:
I also find the differentiation between Attack Vector and Engaged weird
With Attack Vector you don't match velocities with your target. You can't Rendezvous from Attack Vector, only from Engaged, that's why you should "pay" this 10+ margin "cost".
Quote:
by winning by +10.
Question to you as to FAQ keeper: do I really need to have 10+ margin of victory or 10+ margin of success would suffice?
(As in SS: "if you succeeded dy 10+...")
Old 12-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvk View Post
vicky_molokh,If your battleship has nothing better to do than to evade pesky fighter...
And if you have enough thrust (and fuel to waste) to get an acceleration bonus...
With Attack Vector you don't match velocities with your target. You can't Rendezvous from Attack Vector, only from Engaged, that's why you should "pay" this 10+ margin "cost".
I just find +10 to be very, very, very difficult under normal circumstances.

Quote:
Question to you as to FAQ keeper: do I really need to have 10+ margin of victory or 10+ margin of success would suffice?
For all I can tell, it depends on whether this is a Quick Contest or a Simple Roll.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
lvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I just find +10 to be very, very, very difficult under normal circumstances.
I think that's right, because enemy ship should be "frozen in place" (in comparison to your maneuverability (represented by acceleration bonus)) to allow you Rendezvous with him. Like huge warships in space opera that are literaly standing still while fighters are circling around them.
Quote:
For all I can tell, it depends on whether this is a Quick Contest or a Simple Roll.
In a Quick Contest you first have MoS/MoF, and then calculate MoV. So, doesn't Spaceshps suggest us to use MoS instead of margin of victory while Closing to Engaged or Rendezvous?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I think that's right, because enemy ship should be "frozen in place" (in comparison to your maneuverability (represented by acceleration bonus)) to allow you Rendezvous with him. Like huge warships in space opera that are literaly standing still while fighters are circling around them.
In a Quick Contest you first have MoS/MoF, and then calculate MoV. So, doesn't Spaceshps suggest us to use MoS instead of margin of victory while Closing to Engaged or Rendezvous?
That seems even more difficult, as it will no longer work in cases where the enemy deeply failed their side of the roll.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Trachmyr

Quote:
vicky_molokh,If your battleship has nothing better to do than to evade pesky fighter...
also assuming the ship has working engines... this is why pirates in the age of sail targeted a ship's masts and sails first if they were planning to board. Boarding is pretty simple, target the rear hull to take out engines, against big ships that can't achieve a accel bonus, it is even easier.

--------

If you want the 10+ margin of success to be easier, allow it to be gained cummulatively over multiple turns against non-maneuvering ships.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, spaceships