Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #21
Dalin

Default Re: GURPS Harkwood - how have you run it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teclis View Post
The demon lore in GURPS seems to be quite sparse. In GURPS Magic there is a generic demon that can be summoned and there is a section on demons in GURPS Wizards but it only contains two demon characters.
Hellsgate, part of the GURPS Locations series, is a great resource on demons in GURPS. Besides being an entire city ruled by demons, it includes demonic racial templates at various levels (imps, common demons, demon lords), and a section on notable demons worth in the vicinity of 1000 points.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:34 AM   #22
Michael Cule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teclis View Post
Hi,

I am playing from GURPS Fantasy 2e (The blue book with the cover art by Kirk Reinert). The current Emperor is Diophrates XII. On pg. 48 it says that an assassination attempt was made on the emperor's life by a demon, but I couldn't find anything in the book that said that the emperor himself was a demon of half demon.
In GURPS BANESTORM for 4th Ed it is made clear (HORRENDOUS SPOILER!) that the demon (which had been summoned by the boss Templar for devious reasons of his own) had taken the place of the Emperor.

This had led to 'Diophrates' setting new records for debauchery and evil among Megalosian emperors.

I have twice run adventures in which the PCs intervened in Imperial politics to kill the Demon Emperor and put his noble (well at least human) son on the throne.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #23
Beoferret

I actually started writing up an adventure for 4th ed Harkwood and Blythe. They seem to me to be a great place for a mini-campaign. Blythe was going to be the main adventuring ground with Harkwood providing the main base of operations, so to speak. Harkwood in 2005 is facing some serious problems/upheavals. Fenmarc formally rules, but lost most of his trained warriors (and a lot of levy troops) in the early stage of the Caithness Civil War. To the west, Blythe has been overrun and effectively destroyed by reptile men; thus bringing the frontier much closer to Harkwood's borders at the same time that it became militarily weaker. And the nearest elf community has also expanded its presence into Harkwood with Fenmarc married to Lleroflyn, the local elf leader - much to Fenmarc's daughter's chagrin.

Overall, I imagine that Harkwood is filled with a mix of refugees; people trying to "soldier on" and continue their lives as best possible in a time of looming disorder; desperate and poor women and children who lost their dads in the fighting up north; and people in the middle of pulling up stakes, all rubbing elbows with the new elven guardians, mercenaries and adventurers looking for work, and clergy trying to organize any and all relief for those without any other hope. It's a wartime frontier town in economic decline. And it strikes me that it's both a great base of operations for standard wilderness adventures and a venue for getting involved in politics and intrigue, whether local (e.g. between those who welcome the elves and those who don't) or the CCW as a whole.

Anyone up for writing and submitting an updated Hawkwood adventure? (Or even just Harkwood as a Hot Spot or Location?)
Beoferret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harkwood