Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
timur

Default One-shot cards and Charity

During Charity, if I have more than five cards, and some of them are one-shot items, can I just put those cards in the play area? That is, can I keep one-shot items in the play area even if I'm not using them?
timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: One-shot cards and Charity

You can play any Item to the table at any point during your turn, except during combat. Thus, yes, you can play One-Shot Items to the table to avoid giving cards as Charity.

The only Items you can't play in this manner are Item Enhancers (those that attach to another Item) and those you can't legally have (such as a second Big Item).
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Potted Plant

Oh wow -- so you can carry one-shot items like the Magic Missile or the Potion of Invisibility, say?

We'd been playing that those had to stay in your hand. This could change our charity routines quite a bit (although, admittedly, we always manage to give away junky charity anyway....)

EDIT: Looked just a little further, and the answer to my question is Yes. Found the answer here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=95229

Last edited by Potted Plant; 12-29-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Potted Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Enzzo

Yep :) I think that's part of the reason you are allowed to carry those Items on the table, so that you don't have to give them away as Charity.

Do note that a card that does not have a value in Gold Pieces (or the words "No Value") is not an Item, and cannot be carried this way. This includes GUAL cards.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
DigitalRob

I'm new to Munchkin, so I could be wrong, but on the Munchkinland Podcast I'm pretty sure I heard them say that only items with gold value can be carried and not in use. Other one-shot treasures must be kept in your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timur View Post
During Charity, if I have more than five cards, and some of them are one-shot items, can I just put those cards in the play area? That is, can I keep one-shot items in the play area even if I'm not using them?
Edit --- Okay, I just noticed that this question has been answered. I'm still getting used to the format of the forum. Sorry.
DigitalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalRob View Post
I'm new to Munchkin, so I could be wrong, but on the Munchkinland Podcast I'm pretty sure I heard them say that only items with gold value can be carried and not in use. Other one-shot treasures must be kept in your hand.
I do not honestly know about the podcast you mention, but I do know that Steve Jackson, Andrew, his current minion, and I give official responses to questions. If none of them were associated with that podcast, then nothing said can be taken as official unless they stated they were quoting one of us. One-shot items are Items, and the rules say you can carry any Item, and that you can play one-shot Items from those in play in front of you or from your hand.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Dave81j6

Using One-Shot Items:

Can a player can use any of their one-shot items during any combat regardless of where, or how their card was situated when combat began? For instance, is there a difference in playing one-shot items from a player's horizontal position (carried/not in-use,) vs. vertical position (carried/in-use,) vs. their in-hand position?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Dave81j6; 01-02-2013 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Post made shorter and more to the point
Dave81j6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
Bampop

There's no difference in how you play them. Also, to be clear, since one-shots aren't actually in use (that is, they aren't affecting your combat strength) until you play them, they don't need to be turned sideways. (I usually still turn them sideways, but it isn't necessary.)
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
1b2a

So no value items (like GUALs) can be put on the field? The rules define items as cards with gold value. There are various cards without any marking for gold value that we don't allow on the field when we play. Is that wrong? What about cards saying 0 gold and "no value"?

Last edited by 1b2a; 01-02-2013 at 08:49 AM.
1b2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
Bampop

No. When people refer to "No Value" they are speaking specifically about Items with "No Value" printed on the card where Gold Pieces would go. "No Value" should be treated as "Zero Gold Pieces."

Other treasures such as GUALs are not Items and may not be carried on the table.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote