Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-08-2022, 05:45 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Pyramid 44 help Armin

Hello Armin

I need some help here. In the past you solved this issue I think, but I can't find your post. In Pyramid 44 it stats out languages as made up of multiple skills. Is there a data file for this? Or is there a way to create it?

then I wish language talent to add a +1 to each language based skill, per level of the talent.

thank you as always
David
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:13 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Pyramid 44 help Armin

I'm sorry, but that doesn't ring any bells, and I don't seem to have a language-oriented file in my folder.

I'm going to need a lot more details if I'm to help you with this, as I don't have that issue of Pyramid and have no idea what's involved.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:02 PM   #3
Lameth

Under this system, languages have three components: the spoken form, the written form, and the specific script system (or systems) used to write it. The first two of these are Average difficulty skills bought from a base of 10 (not IQ); see p. B170 for the cost progression. These skills are used to compose or understand the language; they will often also give defaults to understanding other languages. Each script system is a perk.

an example English (Spoken)-14 [16], English (Written)-14 [16], and the Latin script perk [1]

So i guess it would be two Skills... base 10 to start with, of Average skills, Language (spoken), and Language (written), and then a Perk (script).

And Language Talent is reskined to at add +1 for each level of the talent to the skills of Spoken and Written. So i need a way to tweak Language talent to add to any "language skill" +1.

advice or help would be great :)
Old 11-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, I'm out of the office for a bit; will take a look at things tomorrow at the earliest (but possibly later).
Old 11-09-2022, 08:50 PM   #5
Lameth

thank you!
Old 11-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
Under this system, languages have three components: the spoken form, the written form, and the specific script system (or systems) used to write it.
Oh hey that sounds familiar. :)

Armin if you want a hand give me a shout.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:52 AM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Oh hey that sounds familiar. :)

Armin if you want a hand give me a shout.
Thank you, that's appreciated.

Since I've done the skeleton of it anyway, I'd really like to make this a full file for the whole article, so that it can be made available to everyone with GCA.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:02 AM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
thank you!
You're welcome.

Now, I've built a skeleton of the file from what you've said. To make a full file with any examples of languages and defaulting, I'd need the article or a condensed version of it with just the GCA-specific needs detailed.

Anyway, I've posted the current version of the file on my OneDrive here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArfRTuC0cl3qgbkE..._mi2Q?e=RxCg66

NOTE: I've not tested this yet! But it should work because it's fairly basic.

Supporting this just needed a few things, really:

1) Skill types of 10/A, to make handling use of the base-10 skills easier. I included versions for E through VH in case folks wanna customize.
2) Skills for the language skills, obviously. I did New Skill versions, and English.
3) Perks for the scripts, obviously. I did New Script versions, and Latin.
4) Language Talent adjusted. This now uses the SKCAT: prefix to give a bonus to any skill with a category of Language, which I've used for the new skills.

Please let me know if this seems to work correctly (or at all...). I will see if I can get a more complete version out for everyone, included with GCA, at some point.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:56 PM   #9
Jareth Valar

Thank you Armin, much appreciated! We've been using this in our modern supernatural game for a while and this will ease things up immensely.

Other than the actual language examples and their defaults for comprehension and their associated scripts, the main thing left out of the previous post is the characters default Native language. They get spoken and written at IQ+2 as well as the associated script perk.

Now we've added a 2 level advantage in ours for those that are raised bilingual/trilingual. Basically it's 5 cp each level and you get another language at Native.

Anyway, thanks again!
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 09:23 PM   #10
Lameth

First, thank you as always Armin. I added the file and then added the skill, but i cant put points into it. It does not move at all. Any advice ?