Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-25-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
Domster

Default Gnome's illusion

If a Gnome summons an illusion in order to win a fight, how would a curse "lose your race" affect the illusion?

Is this considered as an ability that you lose, as an epic human has to discard a pet, when losing his epic feat? (see here)
- OR -
Is this considered as a bonus (which remains) stemming from a race-ability like berserking and keeping the bonus when no longer being a warrior (see here)

Last edited by Domster; 06-25-2007 at 03:27 AM.
Domster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Domster

Default Re: Gnome's illusion

I know. That is why I posted this thread as link in my question.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Jirtan

It's my understanding that the special abilities granted by classes and races persist until the end of combat, even if they are discarded. The only things effectively lost the moment the cards are discarded are "Usable Only By..." cards and monsters that have special bonuses or penalties to certain classes or races, like "-2 against Halflings."
Jirtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
Domster

Can the MunchkinMan help us out here?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
Sabu

Hi y'all,

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but searching around the forums didn't seem to offer any resolution to this issue. I was wondering if anyone has come to a suitable decision about this kind of thing.

The other night, some friends and I were playing a game and ran into this situation:

A Gnome was facing a monster, so she played a stronger monster from her hand to beat it. A fellow Munchkin, however, cursed her to make her lose her Gnome race.

So the dispute became: Does the Illusion disappear because it was part of the Gnome's powers (no Gnome = no Gnome powers), or does the Illusion stick around because the spell had already been cast (no Gnome, but the spell's effects are permanent).

Can anyone offer any help? Cheers!
Sabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:26 AM   #6
RevBob

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Q. If somebody changes your race or class during combat (such as with a curse), does that change your combat bonuses?
A. Yes. If you quit being an Elf, you can no longer get a bonus from Elf-only items, and so on. You can never get the benefit of two races or two classes in one combat unless you have a special card that allows it. Powers driven by discards are an exception. If a Warrior had already discarded a card to get a +1 combat bonus, and then stopped being a Warrior, he would keep the bonus, but wouldn't be able to discard any more cards for the Warrior bonus. Yes, this rule can be used to the player's advantage. Hee hee.
Since you had to spend a card (namely, the illusory monster) to make the Illusion, I would say it falls under the "Warrior exception" noted above and stays active.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob
Since you had to spend a card (namely, the illusory monster) to make the Illusion, I would say it falls under the "Warrior exception" noted above and stays active.
Agreed. While this may not be a discard, it is similar, in that it could only be played if you were a gnome. Just like the discard was only allowable because of the Warrior, but you don't need to remain a Warrior to maintain it, same here.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Munchkiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcadianRefugee View Post
Agreed. While this may not be a discard, it is similar, in that it could only be played if you were a gnome. Just like the discard was only allowable because of the Warrior, but you don't need to remain a Warrior to maintain it, same here.
The Gnome illusion ability is a discard ability of sorts. Just like a Cleric would discard a card from her hand to get a +3 bonus against an undead monster, a Gnome is using a monster from her hand to use it as an illusion. I know it's not exactly the same, but regardless of the outcome of the combat, the illusion, and any enhancers placed on it, will ultimately be discarded.

Last edited by Munchkiny; 07-30-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Munchkiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
Zenoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkiny View Post
The Gnome illusion ability is a discard ability of sorts. Just like a Cleric would discard a card from her hand to get a +3 bonus against an undead monster, a Gnome is using a monster from her hand to use it as an illusion. I know it's not exactly the same, but regardless of the outcome of the combat, the illusion, and any enhancers placed on it, will ultimately be discarded.
Hi, had this problem yesterday. My english might be flawed but if I understand correctly you DO LOSE your illusion as a Gnome if someone cursed you to change your race midfight?
Zenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #10
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoob View Post
Hi, had this problem yesterday. My english might be flawed but if I understand correctly you DO LOSE your illusion as a Gnome if someone cursed you to change your race midfight?
No, you didn't understand correctly. Once you have used the Gnome's ability, the effect remains throughout combat as you already paid the cost to activate it, just like with the Cleric and Warrior examples. It doesn't matter if you discard the Gnome card in the meantime.

However, you do lose the illusion immediately if you decide to take on a helper instead, whether you are still a Gnome or not at the time you get help.

The discussion of discards in your quoted post is just saying that you discard the monster card you used for the illusion regardless of whether you win or lose the fight. Note that you cannot place Monster Enhancers onto an illusion or modify it in any other way, though. Munchkiny implied otherwise, but it is illegal to do so.

Tags
gnome, illusion