Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-31-2022, 09:27 AM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: Weapon Expertise: +1 per die of damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That would be a long term plan, working one's way up from a rapier to a bastard sword (assuming he started with expertise).
I'm assuming that the character would not be starting with expertise. Also, note that Weapon Expertise (Sword) does not cover both rapier and bastard sword; one needs Fencer for rapier.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:29 AM   #12
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I'm assuming that the character would not be starting with expertise. Also, note that Weapon Expertise (Sword) does not cover both rapier and bastard sword; one needs Fencer for rapier.
I'll be darned. I plumb overlooked that rule (as did Henry, I suppose). Right there in the description for expertise: "Expertise with the sword also does not include fencing weapons, which have their own Expertise (see below)." So, no expertise for the saber either. I'll bet I have an NPC or two that have that illegal combo.

(The suggestion to "see below" is a bit roundabout. You have to flip through the whole book until you come around to the other side and eventually to the page before Weapon Expertise.)

So, the only ways to get expertise with sword and ST 13, starting from a 32 point character, are to buy expertise later in the game or to buy it at the beginning but not use it until you reach ST 11 and the short sword, which would be more than a bit suspect.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:58 AM   #13
hcobb

So heavier swords are worse with expertise than lighter swords are.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
phiwum

How so?

It was already the case that you could use Fencing only with rapier or saber. The "new" discovery (thanks, Shostak) is that you can't use expertise with rapier or saber.

I don't see how this makes heavy swords worse. If Fencing is better, then heavy swords were already worse.

Anyway, as usual, Henry, there are many advantages and disadvantages that you overlook when proclaiming that one thing is better or worse than another. If you want to do more damage, then a heavy sword is better than a light one, generally speaking.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:16 PM   #15
hcobb

Broadman, Human, age 20
ST 12, DX 12 (11), IQ 8, MA 10
Talents: Knife, Shield, Sword
Language: Common
Weapons: dagger (1d-1), fine broadsword (2d+1)
Armor: Large shield stops two hits

Thinman, Human, age 20
ST 9, DX 12, IQ 11, MA 10
Talents include: Fencer, Knife, Shield Expertise
Language: Common
Weapon: dagger (1d-1), very fine rapier (1d+3)
Armor: Small shield stops two hits, -2 to be hit

Broadman hits (adjDX 9) 37.5% for an average of 6 hits past the shield, hence 2.5 hits/turn

Thinman hits 74.07% for an average of 4.5 hits past the shield, hence 3.3 hits/turn

Broadman does have the advantage due to Reactions to Injury, hence the heavier sword is better.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:18 PM   #16
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
So heavier swords are worse with expertise than lighter swords are.
Weapon Expertise gives lighter weapons a damage bonus that, although equal to the bonus given to heavier weapons, is a higher percentage of their basic damage. I don't think one can say that a shortsword dealing 2d damage is objectively better than a broadsword dealing 2d+1 or a two-handed sword inflicting 3d.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #17
TippetsTX

Returning to the original idea... I find the proposed defensive adjustments intriguing, Henry. Have you playtested this at all or is it just a thought experiment at this point?
Old 03-31-2022, 05:04 PM   #18
hcobb

A mathematically informed wild guess.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:56 PM   #19
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Good catch. I had just read through that as I was generating my Elf fencer physicker who would have been neat to roll out in the game but being an elf made him a less desirable pick. LOL!
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #20
Axly Suregrip

My first question is, what are you trying to fix? This applies to both the offensive and defensive changes you proposed.

Regarding the offensive change (+1/damage die proposal), this would break the balance of the weapon table for weapons of difference dice at the same ST. So, a mace will get more enhanced damage than a hand axe, spear or quarterstaff (all being ST 11 weapons). The mace already has a better damage spread and now this makes it worse. I already with Shostak's take, "I don't think one can say that a shortsword dealing 2d damage is objectively better than a broadsword dealing 2d+1 or a two-handed sword inflicting 3d." That is, I don't see a need for this change. This change implies you find weapon expertise not effective enough. Thus my first question. The way I see it weapon expertise seems to be a very good buy, thus this is not a needed change for that perspective either.

Regarding the defensive change (reducing defensive dice based on relative weapon damage). In real life parrying/defending is a complicated thing. In a fight against a foe of roughly the same capability, having a lighter weapon/shield makes it easier to be your block in the way of your foe's weapon. Having a larger blocking surface (eg. a bigger shield), is both good and bad. I makes it a slower blocker but it may already be in the way of the shot without having to move. When talking about shields, typically in a one-on-one fight you are better off with a smaller shield, assuming you can match the speed and skill of your foe. If not, then the bigger shield may be better. When facing multiple foes (say in a shield wall), then a bigger shield is better. That is just size/mass/weight of the weapons. There is also the shape (axes and sais), durability and number of hands on it that contribute to its ability to block. But damage does not equate size/mass so it is not a good match there. Long story short is, I am not sure adding this extra complexity is a good thing. Thus back to my first question. Is it you find the expertise skills too effective and wish to reduce their affect? If so, then yea maybe this is a good change.

Or is the purpose of both of these to give ST more of an advantage?

If you are adding complexity, it is good to have a clear reason for doing so.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote