Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
Icelander

Default Re: LE/Police Hand-to-Hand, Arrest Techniques, Control Tactics or Use of Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Mind if I throw that down on my blog?
Not at all. We might want to wait to see if there are some minor tweaks, but I think I'm okay with it.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #12
Icelander

Default Re: LE/Police Hand-to-Hand, Arrest Techniques, Control Tactics or Use of Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
There doesn't seem to be a skill listed for using the capture shield . . . Teamwork perk definitely is used with the capture shield as the guy in front is carrying it with his buddies behind him holding on adding weight in the initial rush
Shield skill is listed as an Optional skill, along with Broadsword for riot batons and Staff for lathi or similar for agencies which train that. Dedicated riot police will add several of the Optional skills to primary.

Quote:
One of the uses for the baton is for an officer who isn't planning to grapple to have it out and ready to try and disarm the badguy (by hitting him in the arm or hand) if he somehow produces a weapon once the grappling starts . . . I noticed you included the Targeted Attack. Is there a way to represent being better at striking into close combat?
Teamwork covers it. Also, Close Combat (Shortsword) and Low Fighting (Shortsword) specifically represents training at doing this.

Quote:
I would totally include sure footed slippery . . . by the time you already commit to sending a team in to physically grab someone, the place is quite possibly a horrible slippery mess of chemical agents and other stuff
That might well be an Optional Perk which would suit riot cops and those trained for correctional facilities. It's not specifically trained in the arrest techniques that I'm familiar with, with the probable exception of the training our Coast Guard gets. They'll have Naval Training and Sure-Footed (Slippery) on their Perk list.

Sure-Footed (Ice) and Sure-Footed (Snow) is probably a fairly reasonable Optional Perk for experienced melee combatants from a culture where ice and snow is common, regardless of specific style.

Sure-Footed (Uneven) is really valuable for riot cops and anyone else who must fight in a tight formation which might have to move over defeated foes, but unfortunately rarely taught. The line breaking because of prone rioters is always a risk and one that it seems many law enforcement personnel are not trained sufficiently to address.

Then again, given the budget situation here and the resistance to spending anything on the police, it's a wonder they are allowed to train at all.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Your Coast Guard's budget, IIRC is counted towards NATO requirements, so there's that.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
jason taylor

While your at that, get some armed forces manuels. Some of it is tangential to your purpose. But other stuff will help. For instance the Urban Warfare manuals have a section on police and disaster relief ops because even in formal war you have to quickly restore law in a captured city and in modern times insurgency often centers in cities.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:45 AM   #15
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Your Coast Guard's budget, IIRC is counted towards NATO requirements, so there's that.
True, but the only guy I know who belongs to the armed Coast Guard teams is so boring and annoying that I don't want to get any input from him. He played one campaign with us, but when real-world events led to him resigning, no one was very sad.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #16
(E)

Another task that may just be covered by the professional skill, body language or first aid is evaluating the target. In this sense I mean the first judgment of the opponent, are they sober, drunk, high, healthy, sick, angry, otherwise mentally incapacitated? The information an officer uses to decide the next course of action. There may be legal issues to consider at this stage as well.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:21 AM   #17
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Unless you packaged this all as a BANG!, how many times would you purchase theme teamwork perk here since you need to specialize by style?

Or barring that, maybe they just have it with a small group like partner or squad.
Ideally, only once, with familiarity needed for working with people trained by different instructors.

Sufficiently different variations might not be able to share Teamwork Perks, but I'd argue that this should be rare. The arrest technique training of cops from Iceland through Europe to Florida and beyond is fundamentally extremely similar.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #18
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
True,
[OT]
What are you on about? This is a report on NATO defense spending, and there are no numbers there for Iceland. And from speaking with guys from the foreign ministry here (including a guy who works at the NATO delegation) it is policy here to be left off those lists because the numbers would be so low and maybe even zero, which is why there are only 27 countries in that list but 28 members of NATO.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #19
aesir23

Default Re: Arrest Techniques Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

[COLOR=Navy]Skills: Diplomacy; Intimidation; Liquid Projector (Sprayer); Shortsword; Wrestling.
I'm not a law enforcement officer, but as a youth-worker I am certified in passive restraint ("Handle With Care" and "TCI" ) and I was one of the playtesters for TG.

IIRC, there was some debate about whether Passive Restraint should teach Judo instead of Wrestling, because we learn to defend against weapons (improvised knives, mostly) and Judo is much better at that in GURPS. We (rightly, I think) decided against it for Passive Restraint, but the arguments in favor of Judo may be stronger for police officers.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #20
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
[OT]
What are you on about? This is a report on NATO defense spending, and there are no numbers there for Iceland. And from speaking with guys from the foreign ministry here (including a guy who works at the NATO delegation) it is policy here to be left off those lists because the numbers would be so low and maybe even zero, which is why there are only 27 countries in that list but 28 members of NATO.
When the Coast Guard goes to the Med, the armed teams aboard are trained by NATO. At least that's understanding.

Tags
law enforcement, martial arts, pass limb, police, style familiarity, teamwork