Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #151
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action.'
-Ian Fleming
Recipe for disaster:
Follow the Judiciary Act of 1801 to reduce the Court's size to five members. Take the president of the court out of the equation. Make two free appointments in 2017 and 2018. Suddenly three fifths of the supreme court are already puppets in your pockets.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #152
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It still doesn't work that way. Justice Breyer is not part of the Court of Appeals; he's ABOVE it, as a Supreme Court justice...
What? You didn´t read it properly:
Quote:
The Supreme Court refuses to consider the appeal and sends it to the federal appeals court.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #153
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I dont know, but it could work no matter what:
By the time three judges have died, you will have a huge share of the population convinced they are being murdered and someone is covering it up. And that's going to damage the legitimacy of the new party; they may disagree with verdicts, but I think killing judges will be seen as a direct attack on the rule of law. And Americans are obsessed with legality.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #154
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
What? You didn´t read it properly:
What you said about the Supreme Court sending something to the federal appeals court is just nonsense in terms of American judicial processes. A case does not get to the Supreme Court in the first place unless it has already gone to an appeals court. So the appeals court has already given a verdict, and when the Supreme Court refuses to hear the case, all that happens is that the already given verdict remains in place; there is no basis for the appeals court taking any further action.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #155
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
By the time three judges have died, you will have a huge share of the population convinced they are being murdered and someone is covering it up. And that's going to damage the legitimacy of the new party; they may disagree with verdicts, but I think killing judges will be seen as a direct attack on the rule of law. And Americans are obsessed with legality.
Quoting myself:

Recipe for disaster:
Quote:
Follow the Judiciary Act of 1801 to reduce the Court's size to five members. Take the president of the court out of the equation. Make two free appointments in 2017 and 2018. Suddenly three fifths of the supreme court are already puppets in your pockets.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #156
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What you said about the Supreme Court sending something to the federal appeals court is just nonsense in terms of American judicial processes. A case does not get to the Supreme Court in the first place unless it has already gone to an appeals court. So the appeals court has already given a verdict, and when the Supreme Court refuses to hear the case, all that happens is that the already given verdict remains in place; there is no basis for the appeals court taking any further action.
The reality of the case taken as an example shows us something different though.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #157
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Recipe for disaster:
Follow the Judiciary Act of 1801 to reduce the Court's size to five members. Take the president of the court out of the equation. Make two free appointments in 2017 and 2018. Suddenly three fifths of the supreme court are already puppets in your pockets.
How are you proposing to create space to appoint anyone? All nine justices are there for life, or until they are permanently disabled and unable to function, or until they are impeached for "high crimes and misdemeanors."

What do you mean by "president of the court"? That term is not used in the United States, at least not for the Supreme Court.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #158
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
The reality of the case taken as an example shows us another thing.
You had better explain that. I don't have any idea what youre talking about.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #159
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

One other thing, Alonsua. You postulate that the new party gets 70% of the vote in an election, and elects 70% of Congress. That can work for the House. But in the Senate, only 1/3 of the senators are up for election in any given year. If 70% of them are the new party, that's 23, which isn't anywhere near a majority, and I think it can be counted on that the established parties will team up to block anything coming from the new party in the House. Even in the second election, two years later, you will only get up to 46 senators, still not a majority. So if your new party is going to try to enact anything radical, they will have to sustain support for it for over four years—or conceal anything provocative in their agenda for the same span of time, and then enact it by surprise.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #160
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
One other thing, Alonsua. You postulate that the new party gets 70% of the vote in an election, and elects 70% of Congress. That can work for the House. But in the Senate, only 1/3 of the senators are up for election in any given year. If 70% of them are the new party, that's 23, which isn't anywhere near a majority, and I think it can be counted on that the established parties will team up to block anything coming from the new party in the House. Even in the second election, two years later, you will only get up to 46 senators, still not a majority. So if your new party is going to try to enact anything radical, they will have to sustain support for it for over four years—or conceal anything provocative in their agenda for the same span of time, and then enact it by surprise.
I didn´t know. Thank you! Do you think they can work in an alliance or something?
Alonsua is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.