Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 04:38 AM   #41
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Honestly, you're looking at setting up shop in a place more like Singapore, which refuses to enter treaties that acknowledge other nations' patent and copyright laws. So select one of the smaller Caribbean/Lesser Antilles nations (Grenada, Barbados, Haiti, etc) and alter their laws enough to let it happen. Or just make one up (a long and storied tradition in comics; see not just the afore-mentioned Latveria but Genosha, Wakanda, Qurac, Biyalia, Markovia, etc.)
__________________
"Life ... is an Oreo cookie." - J'onn J-onzz, 1991

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:46 AM   #42
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Or just make one up (a long and storied tradition in comics; see not just the afore-mentioned Latveria but Genosha, Wakanda, Qurac, Biyalia, Markovia, etc.)
I like this idea and will check them for sure, but at this moment I have put my mind on claiming the antarctica.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:49 AM   #43
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
If the NATO budget really is 2 billion dollars, yes it could. Whats its budget? Is it 1 trillion dollars?

According to Mass Combat each 1$ invested by the corporation in defense would contest $4 invested by the NATO countries. Maximum military budget would be 100.8 billion dollars (before the merger, each company would be worth about 200 billion dollars and able to contribute 25.2 billion dollars to the shared effort), for which NATO would require 403.2 billion dollars for a 50% probability of success.
You've got to think about the history of your comic-book reality megacorporation. You're not considering whether it could win a war against the world today, with infinite time to transform money into trained soldiers and military equipment*, but rather, back when it was just an ordinary company that decided it wanted to become a nation-state in a state of war with NATO.

*Starting with an organisation that has no military tradition, no experienced officers and trainers and no infrastructure to make war, you'd need several years and access to a wide recruiting pool of people who don't consider you an enemy of their state just to be able to transform from a commercial corporation to effective military. As your headquarters and any executives that could be located would probably be destroyed or dead in the first few hours of a shooting war with NATO, ideally, you should probably still avoid that war.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:50 AM   #44
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

After running a test I hace come with a maximum military budget would be 100.8 billion dollars (before the merger, each company would be worth about 200 billion dollars and able to contribute 25.2 billion dollars to the shared effort), for which NATO would require 403.2 billion dollars for a 50% probability of success, if NATO budget is 1 trillion dollars, the corporation would have a 23.5% of success.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:52 AM   #45
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
...
Then Genesis have biomorphic combat androids and artificial intelligences, so they dont need to do any recruiting, only a safe warehouse and sufficient means of transport to conveniently allocate the units before launching their claim on the Antarctic.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 AM   #46
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
After running a test I hace come with a maximum military budget would be 100.8 billion dollars (before the merger, each company would be worth about 200 billion dollars and able to contribute 25.2 billion dollars to the shared effort), for which NATO would require 403.2 billion dollars for a 50% probability of success, if NATO budget is 1 trillion dollars, the corporation would have a 23.5% of success.
NATO starts with aircraft carriers, stealth bombers and massive infrastructure for war-making already built and prepared, as well as millions of war-fighters, of whom thousands are ready for deployments within hours and tens of thousands within the day.

It takes time to turn money into military assets. How would your corporation buy that time, when it is certain that as soon as they started to prepare a military force to match NATO, they would be publicly known to be a revolutionary organisation and there would be no significant political difficulty in ordering the full force of any country that harbored assets of the company to dismantle it completely?
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:57 AM   #47
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Then Genesis have combat androids and artificial intelligences, so they dont need to do any recruiting, only a safe warehouse and sufficient means of transport to conveniently allocate the units before launching their claim on the Antarctic.
Right.

Remember, you are trying to claim a sovereign territory so that you are not bound by inconvenient national laws. Before you do this, you don't have any place to hide military infrastructure equivalent to that of multiple nations, whether you are using digital means to control these military assets or not.

Basically, without your secret Antarctic lair, you don't have any way to store secret stealth bombers, interceptors, thousands of nuclear weapons, stealth subs, tank divisions, airports and naval stations around the world. Nor all the other stuff you need.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #48
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
It takes time to turn money into military assets. How would your corporation buy that time, when it is certain that as soon as they started to prepare a military force to match NATO, they would be publicly known to be a revolutionary organisation and there would be no significant political difficulty in ordering the full force of any country that harbored assets of the company to dismantle it completely?
There is a trait known as Hidden Facilities. Becoming defense contractors, making NATO interested in buying their android units, and activating the secret protocol that allows taking control and would take hundreds of years to decode with modern technologies, for starters. Otherwise place brain implants in a few bioroids, make them stand out in their respective fields to put them in strategic positions, and launch a massive offensive when the time comes. If you need more power, follow the Skynet example (Terminator). You dont need your own weapons of war when you can steal those of the enemy.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:09 AM   #49
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
There is a trait known as Hidden Facilities. Becoming defense contractors, making NATO interested in buying their android units, and activating the secret protocol that allows taking control and would take hubdreds of years to decode with modern technologies, for starters. Otherwise place brain implants in a few bioroids, make them stand out in their respective fields to put them in strategic positions, and launch a massive offensive when the time comes. If you need more power, follow the Skynet example (Terminator).
The corporation can't just be selling androids to anyone. The world is TL8 and no one has combat androids that are even remotely useful. Nor will anyone until the world TL is higher, unless they meet time-travelers or aliens.

Presumably, the TL10/11 is a deep dark secret, probably kept with black magic and comic book hand-waving. If any technology that the company has access to that is higher than early TL9 (normal experimental lab stuff) is known by the outside world to exist, then the company has probably been taken over as time-travelers or an alien outpost and the rest of the world is rapidly approaching TL10 from reverse engineering the alien or future technology.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:21 AM   #50
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The worldand the rest of the world is rapidly approaching TL10 from reverse engineering the alien or future technology.
At any moment there is a limited number of human engineers working at skill 26 (18 (skill)+4(assistants)+4(versatile 4)). By selling just some TL10 technology they would be rolling at -27 (-22(amazing)+5(working model)-10(TL+2)). If they were to take 30 times the basic time, that would be rolling against 4, which means 1.85% probability for success, or about 1418 years to reverse anything. And this presupposes that the androids, being artificial intelligences, consented instead of resorting to self-destruction.
Alonsua is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.