Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
Stormcrow

Default Re: Magic systems on Yrth

I don't believe Banestorm ever specifies which magic system is in use, only which spells are known.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I don't believe Banestorm ever specifies which magic system is in use, only which spells are known.
I think that the usual assumption has been that standard magic is the most common (probably by far), but not necessarily the only form on Yrth. See the introduction to the Magic section on p23 of Banestorm.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
Stormcrow

See the introduction to the Magic section on p23 of Banestorm.[/QUOTE]

What we get there is "Magic on Yrth works as described in the GURPS Basic Set, Chapter 5, and in GURPS Magic." The thing is, Chapter 5 also describes ritual magic.

I have no doubt that standard magic was what they had in mind, but it doesn't actually say that...
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
Phantasm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
See the introduction to the Magic section on p23 of Banestorm.
What we get there is "Magic on Yrth works as described in the GURPS Basic Set, Chapter 5, and in GURPS Magic." The thing is, Chapter 5 also describes ritual magic.

I have no doubt that standard magic was what they had in mind, but it doesn't actually say that...
Not to mention, Magic introduced us to Syntactic Magic (Futhark Runic is given specific mention in Magic, IIRC), so by that logic there are syntactic mages running around Yrth. This could be useful for giving players some much-needed variety. ("You don't want to cast regular spells and don't like the Ritual variant, but you still want to play a spellcaster of some sort? How do you feel about Syntactic?")

My personal assumption is that a particular system of magic is available unless something in the setting (or the GM) claims it is not, not the other way around. Whether it is common or not is a different matter. . . .

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 04-24-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #15
VulpesFulva

There's an idea: Michaelites having to track down a Monster Hunters RPM Adept.
VulpesFulva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:32 AM   #16
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Not to mention, Magic introduced us to Syntactic Magic (Futhark Runic is given specific mention in Magic, IIRC), so by that logic there are syntactic mages running around Yrth. This could be useful for giving players some much-needed variety. ("You don't want to cast regular spells and don't like the Ritual variant, but you still want to play a spellcaster of some sort? How do you feel about Syntactic?")

My personal assumption is that a particular system of magic is available unless something in the setting (or the GM) claims it is not, not the other way around. Whether it is common or not is a different matter. . . .
Actually Magic has both Futhark and Ogham alphabets, but they require different specializations of Symbol Drawing, yet this talent I noticed doesn't say which one it boosts and given the way talents works it's likely it effects BOTH, and it's a little unclear if they need different versions of Magery if the GM requires that

Now you see why this upset me, this 5 point per level Talent can replace up to 6 different forms of Magery (Sort of)
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:32 AM   #17
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The point being that neither skill implies working magic. The skills nevertheless exist and are studied by exponents of ritual and symbolism even when their travails fail to produce magical outcomes. They can be background skills or professional requirements for fortune-tellers, occultists, priests, and other scholars of the esoteric in worlds where no magic of any kind exists for anyone. That might seem like a "waste of points" in such settings, but by that token, so is giving your PC Games or Sports skills, Hobby Skills, or even a background in Artist or Mathematics that you have no intention of ever using in play.
... and even in setting where it's not a Complementary Skill for whatever the local magic system is, it can still be useful for things like 'solving the weird puzzle that keeps the ancient tomb from dropping a big rock on your head' or 'understanding the ancient riddles that lead to where the treasure is stored.'

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Actually Magic has both Futhark and Ogham alphabets, but they require different specializations of Symbol Drawing, yet this talent I noticed doesn't say which one it boosts and given the way talents works it's likely it effects BOTH, and it's a little unclear if they need different versions of Magery if the GM requires that

Now you see why this upset me, this 5 point per level Talent can replace up to 6 different forms of Magery (Sort of)
I wouldn't think that Futhark and Ogham would require separate forms of Magery, as they both use Symbol Drawing - indeed, in some settings, there may be only one basic form of Magery (barring limitations like 'Only at night'), with multiple systems that can be based on it.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 04-25-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:37 AM   #18
Not another shrubbery

Quote:

It says what you quoted. Clerical Magic and Ritual Magic are in a half page inset, presented as options. We know that magic-using priests in Ytarria use the same magic as wizards. We see in Banestorm no mention of Power Investiture or Ritual Magery, but lots of examples of standard mages. I'm not that good at reading between the lines, but the intent has always seemed pretty clear to me *shrug*
Old 04-25-2014, 04:07 AM   #19
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I wouldn't think that Futhark and Ogham would require separate forms of Magery, as they both use Symbol Drawing - indeed, in some settings, there may be only one basic form of Magery (barring limitations like 'Only at night'), with multiple systems that can be based on it.
They require separate versions of Symbol Drawing so anythings possible, and I was doing it more to highlight how OP the Talent is if you allow those magic systems. I think it's also fair to point out that a world may only have one Symbol Magic system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
It says what you quoted. Clerical Magic and Ritual Magic are in a half page inset, presented as options. We know that magic-using priests in Ytarria use the same magic as wizards. We see in Banestorm no mention of Power Investiture or Ritual Magery, but lots of examples of standard mages. I'm not that good at reading between the lines, but the intent has always seemed pretty clear to me *shrug*
There's also mention of people getting POWERS from a higher power under Mysticism on page 26, but those are supernatural and NOT magical and surely anyone who got Power Investiture would have been noticed.

And something just came to me, do Magic Resistance, Mana Enhancer and Magic Resistance have the Mana Sensitive Origin/Power Modifier, can they take it or is it forbidden? Add Mana Damper to the list as well
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:49 AM   #20
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc
And something just came to me, do Magic Resistance, Mana Enhancer and Magic Resistance have the Mana Sensitive Origin/Power Modifier, can they take it or is it forbidden? Add Mana Damper to the list as well
You mention Resistance twice. Did you mean another trait? Mana Enhancer usually would not have it, but I can imagine that putting the PM on it would mean that you could not enhance No Mana Zones and less reliably affect Low Mana. Magic Resistance and Mana Damper don't make much sense to me so limited, though.

Tags
banestorm, talents, yrth