Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Vision and 3D

Normal vision is defined as being able to see a 120º arc in front of him without turning his head, 30º of peripheral vision to either side (giving total 180º arc). Peripheral Vision boosts that to 240º arc, 360º Vision makes it all around, No Peripheral Vision shrinks it to 120º, and Tunnel Vision reduces it to a 60º wedge.

Maybe I missed something, but what are the rules for how the arc of vision one has corresponds to how one notices things in three dimensions, meaning also vertically? Or is there any relationship at all? If not, what would it take to extend one's vertical arc of vision?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
starslayer

Default Re: Vision and 3D

I think I'd likely go with identical arcs vertically, and have peripheral and tunnel vision expand and contract that normally.

I'm not sure I'd even allow an 'only vertically' limitation, as the target could always turn there perspective sideways to enjoy the benefit in most situations; ~-10% if someone could convince me otherwise (For the same reason that 'turn your head sideways' now equals 'get horizontal peripheral vision', turn it normal is 'get vertical peripheral vision'.)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I think I'd likely go with identical arcs vertically, and have peripheral and tunnel vision expand and contract that normally.

I'm not sure I'd even allow an 'only vertically' limitation, as the target could always turn there perspective sideways to enjoy the benefit in most situations; ~-10% if someone could convince me otherwise (For the same reason that 'turn your head sideways' now equals 'get horizontal peripheral vision', turn it normal is 'get vertical peripheral vision'.)
Well, you could be a cat, with vertical pupils, or a goat, with horizontal. But yes, generally, it makes sense to have the same angle in all directions. I think I'd call "vertical only" or "horizontal only" about a -40% limitation (not -50%, because as you say, you can turn your head sideways, but it is inconvenient and should be a limitation).

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, you could be a cat, with vertical pupils, or a goat, with horizontal. But yes, generally, it makes sense to have the same angle in all directions. I think I'd call "vertical only" or "horizontal only" about a -40% limitation (not -50%, because as you say, you can turn your head sideways, but it is inconvenient and should be a limitation).

Bill Stoddard
I think you are radically over pricing the limitation.

I mean it's basically the accessibility limitation 'only in 50% of situations' that has the FURTHER limitation of 'unless you turn your head sideways'.

Right off the bat 'only in 50% of anticipated situations' is only a 40% modifier (Because PCs will attempt to manipulation situations to only be within the accessibility).

Then that limitation itself has an inconvenience accessibility (If I turn my head I can negate the disadvantage)- as an outright limitation on an advantage having to turn ones head sideways is at best a 20% limitation; reversing that (loose 80% of the limitations value) leaves -8%. There then must be some other accessibility limitation for 'power stops working, normally, when head tilted sideways', which is likely another -8%.

So I revise my original ballpark of -10% and change it to -15%, but still feel that -40% is WAY too high for such an easily surmountable limitation.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Bruno

I don't know about you, but if I walk around with my head turned sideways all the time, I end up with a sore neck and balance problems. It's worse in combat, where you're constantly restricting the mobility of your upper body, and throwing off your inner ears, which are designed to be used optimally when you stand upright, not twisted sideways.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I don't know about you, but if I walk around with my head turned sideways all the time, I end up with a sore neck and balance problems. It's worse in combat, where you're constantly restricting the mobility of your upper body, and throwing off your inner ears, which are designed to be used optimally when you stand upright, not twisted sideways.
But for animals like many birds that use parallax to gauge distance, moving the head back and forth is no problem. I would assume most characters are adapted to use their advantages without problem.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But for animals like many birds that use parallax to gauge distance, moving the head back and forth is no problem. I would assume most characters are adapted to use their advantages without problem.
I would say that if for whatever reason you can compensate trivially for the structure of your eyes to gain a wider field of vision, without hampering you in combat, then you simply don't have the disadvantage. GURPS disadvantages are based on physical structure, but on functional capability; it doesn't really matter what physical structure you use to accomplish the function.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I dunno. It does look like a reasonable assumption, but I think that the text would mention it if Restricted Vision was supposed to apply vertically also. If it were a separate trait, restricted vertical vision might not be worth the same, as it seems a bit less of a drawback for the landbound.

I thought this came up before, but a quick search failed to turn up a relevant thread. It might be worth a PM to Kromm.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, peripheral, restricted vision, tunnel vision, vertical, vision