Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
Jeminai

Default Fit and Recover Energy

If a wizard has Recover Energy (Magic 89) at a 15 and the Fit advantage, how does this work?

For example. If he has an energy reserve used only for his spells would Fit help him recover that at all? (My hunch is NO)

If this same wizard used FP in combat for defense and cast a few spells from his energy reserve (Spells Only) does his Fit help him recover his FP at 1 per 5 min while Recover Energy helps him recover 1 in his energy reserve in the same 5 min? (Totally not sure)

If the wizard only used FP to cast spell (let's say he has no energy reserve) would having Recover Energy at 15 and the Fit advantage stack and behave like Very Fit? (My initial feeling is "Maybe?")

Any input is appreciated, and thank you in advance.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Fit and Recover Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
If a wizard has Recover Energy (Magic 89) at a 15 and the Fit advantage, how does this work?

For example. If he has an energy reserve used only for his spells would Fit help him recover that at all? (My hunch is NO)
Your hunch is correct. Fit is quite clear about this: "...this advantage applies only to FP lost to exertion, heat, etc. It has no effect on FP spent to power psi or magic spells." (p. B55).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai
If the wizard only used FP to cast spell (let's say he has no energy reserve) would having Recover Energy at 15 and the Fit advantage stack and behave like Very Fit? (My initial feeling is "Maybe?")
Nope. Fit/Very Fit never helps you recover energy spent on magic, psi, or other supernatural abilities.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
Bicorn

I've never much liked that rule; it increases bookkeeping to have to keep track of which points are taken from what.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
I've never much liked that rule; it increases bookkeeping to have to keep track of which points are taken from what.
I ignore it as well... particularly as Recover Energy has no such restrictions.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
True, but otherwise not only do you have most mages be incredible athletes it really boosts mages capability.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

That's going to be an issue just with how RAW magic is powered by Fatigue.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
True, but otherwise not only do you have most mages be incredible athletes it really boosts mages capability.
Not really.

Unless you allow Very Fit to affect supernatural FP expenditures, which I don't.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Not really.

Unless you allow Very Fit to affect supernatural FP expenditures, which I don't.
That seems to me to be what Bicorn was referring to when he said he didnt like the rule.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #9
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That's going to be an issue just with how RAW magic is powered by Fatigue.
F/VF can effect magic indirectly, as the mage is less likely to lose fatigue to non magical circumstances, leaving him more to use for magic.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:23 AM   #10
Bicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
That seems to me to be what Bicorn was referring to when he said he didnt like the rule.
No, I meant how you need to keep track of "this fatigue was spent on spellcasting and can't be recovered faster with Fit, this fatigue was spent on running/extra effort and can" and get into rules arguments about whether you can choose what to recover and when. It gets messy.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote