Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 02-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Reactions to Transhuman Space

I've been aware of Transhuman Space without reading it for a long time. Something is the back of my brain told me that it was a little "out there", and that the learning curve involved a bunch of setting specific stuff. Then I causally ran a campaign idea past my players, and they said "You mean like Transhuman Space"? And so I went and actually read the book. My idea wasn't Transhuman Space, but it had enough overlap that I'd probably explain it in terms of THS now. And steal ideas from it.

So onto my reactions:

I was surprised what the phrase "Transhuman Space" means. I have always thought it meant that the setting was about transhumans who rule space. From reading the book, its seems it instead means that space is a haven for transhumans, and that's were all the truly new transhuman stuff happens.

I expected to see a world where the transhuman questions had been asked and the answers where all yes. I now see that the world has been engineered to ask as many of the meaningful questions at once.

Large portions of biotech have a lot more context for me now.

The setting handles AI very well. It hasn't taken over the world, but its not useless either. And it doesn't look like its threatening to take over the world either, though that fact may be up for debate.

I was wary of Memes before. Now that I've read the section, they make a lot more sense, particularly as the three 'P's limit their application.

VR and wealth issues are handled very elegantly.

I don't know that I'd ever actually use the transhuman space setting without tweaking, but it is something that I think would be lots and lots of fun to tweak.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: Reactions to Transhuman Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

The setting handles AI very well. It hasn't taken over the world, but its not useless either. And it doesn't look like its threatening to take over the world either, though that fact may be up for debate.
This is one of the ongoing debates about the setting, in fact. The AIs aren't displacing everybody and everything else, but it's not clear that they shouldn't be, logically, given their abilities and the limits of their competitors. It's more or less a 'game fiat' that they are not.

The other big topic of debate about plausibility involves the terraformation of Mars.

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 02-16-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

One tool that THS seems to be trying to use to keep AI's in check is the speed at which the setting moves. It presents a very rapid pace of technological growth, so all the implications of the tech haven't caught up to everyday life yet. Though they will shortly.

I suppose I should say the way they handle AI is very game-friendly.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
This is one of the ongoing debates about the setting, in fact. The AIs aren't displacing everybody and everything else, but it's not clear that they shouldn't be, logically, given their abilities and the limits of their competitors. It's more of less a 'game fiat' that they are not.

The other big topic of debate about plausibility involves the terraformation of Mars.
The debate isn't over whether it's plausible, because it's simply not possible to be this far this soon. It's whether it's a good or necessary thing to allow this as one of the few impossibilities for the setting.
I'm divided on the concept. It does open up a larger variety of adventures on Mars with all the GMO life and open surface area compared to enclosed colonies. But it is a bit silly fast for a few decades and planetary heating.