Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default [UT/LT:IA] Question about hit locations

I'm working my way through Ultra-Tech, trying to give a kind of Low-Tech: Instant Armor work-up for some of the UT armors, and I've run into a bit of a snag.

When UT was written, was "torso" synonymous with what in LT became "chest" and "groin" synonymous with "abdomen", or was "torso" pretty much "chest + abdomen - groin"?

This distinction is particularly important when dealing with the harder "clamshell" armor, which is called a "cuirass"; in most armors I've seen developed from LT:IA, a "cuirass" is essentially defined as "stiff armor that covers the chest".

Thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Langy

Default Re: [UT/LT:IA] Question about hit locations

Pretty sure Torso was Chest and Groin was Abdomen.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [UT/LT:IA] Question about hit locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I'm working my way through Ultra-Tech, trying to give a kind of Low-Tech: Instant Armor work-up for some of the UT armors, and I've run into a bit of a snag.

When UT was written, was "torso" synonymous with what in LT became "chest" and "groin" synonymous with "abdomen", or was "torso" pretty much "chest + abdomen - groin"?

This distinction is particularly important when dealing with the harder "clamshell" armor, which is called a "cuirass"; in most armors I've seen developed from LT:IA, a "cuirass" is essentially defined as "stiff armor that covers the chest".

Thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.
The key is in the hit location table.

Low Tech annexed the slice of the table that was previously the 'Groin', number 11, to be the Abdomen, and made the groin a sub-location of that.

So if you want to translate for equivalent coverage in that respect, anything that protected the Torso and Groin should cover the chest and abdomen, and anything that only covered the Torso should only cover the chest. This will have the side effect that 'torso' armors are easier to deliberately bypass by going for the abdomen, which is only -1 rather than the groin's -3.

For the Clamshell, Chest is probably the realistic coverage. Ultratech isn't going to make it possible for a single solid plate to cover the entire front of your body without immobilizing you. Unless your 'clamshell' is a lot more articulated than the name suggests it would necessarily stop about the same place as historical breastplates.

Tags
armor, armour, low-tech armor, ultra-tech