Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
Hallieann22

Default Harry Potter Munchkin: please help

Harry Potter Munchkins: during combat against a monster someone plays a wandering monster with a monster that states you FIRST need to discard a card from your hand.

The item in my hand is a one shot play anytime even during combat. Instead of discarding this card as the monster states I need to do.

Can I play this card instead on my side of the combat and then state I have no cards to discard? Or, do I have to discard this card because the monster says I have to discard a card First.
Hallieann22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
Fufu

Default Re: Harry Potter Munchkin: please help

Let us say you drew this Monster by Kicking Down the Door from the Door deck and you had no cards in Your Hand to Discard. This Monster would come into Combat without Discarding any cards. Therefore, a player could legally extinguish all their One-Shots and then play the Monster.

Which card is this from Munchkin Harry Potter Deluxe? I want to make sure, I have given a proper answer. Thanks!
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
Brf

Generally, in Munchkin you have to do things in order.
If a monster card says you must discard a card, then you have to discard one. You would not be allowed to play a card until after you do the discard.
As Fufu asked, it would help if you named the card, so we could see its rules.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
Hallieann22

Sorry for the late reply. So I was in combat with a monster and was winning. My sister played a wandering monster with the LEVEL 4 COMMON WELSH GREEN. His card states (when it enters combat, your first task is to discard a card from your hand.)

I only had one card in my hand that was Engorgio: +10 to monster (if the monster is defeated we collect two extra treasures)

I wanted to just play this for the monster as I would have won even with the extra points to collect the extra treasures. However, my sister played the wandering monster with the monster that said I first needed to discard. So the question is can I play the card and then say I can’t discard because I don’t have a card orrrrr do I need to discard.
Hallieann22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:30 AM   #5
Fufu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallieann22 View Post
LEVEL 4 COMMON WELSH GREEN
Thank you. I pulled out the card from Munchkin Harry Potter Deluxe.

Since "Common Welsh Green" does not say a player must discard a card from Your Hand, then I would conclude a player is not required to discard a card for the Monster to enter Combat-if the player has no cards to discard.

Brf is 100% correct about Munchkin following the order of operations.

Therefore, a player cannot play the Monster with a Wandering Monster card then decide to give the fight a +10 to Combat. The player would have to discard the card in Your Hand.
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote