Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #71
doulos05

Default Re: Armor, slightly used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
I have been reading this thread and I have a question for the other inmates...

No one (other than myself) has mentioned the Merchant skill as part of the cashing in empties procedure...

Am I the only one using it? And rewarding/penalizing the PCs for their skills in this area? Or is that just something that I should chalk up to Mostly you guys are running DF and I am not?

Thanks!!
Well, personally I just assume it. When I'm talking about the price, I'm talking about the base price, from which the PCs will haggle, using both Merchant and roleplaying.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #72
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
To get a bit back on topic: Assuming a somewhat standard RPG fantasy campaign (D&Dish, DF etc.), what assumptions do you make about the economy? Just hand-waving it, with relatively cheap prices for the usual adventuring stuff? Hand-waving it, but with the GURPS/LT price lists as basis? A complicated system of your own design? A certain period of history?

Regarding the latter, I'm surprised how often relative "early" dates are mentioned (10th-13th century). A lot of fantasy settings have a pretty well developed TL (rapiers, plate, x-bows etc.), mercantile system (lots of caravans, banks, guilds…), a lot of mercenary souls, if one includes adventurers and several large hordes of more or less well-armed non-human groups (dwarves, orcs).

So I personally tend to err on the more modern side, if I'm making historic comparisons at all (which often strain my limited grasp of both economics and history).

Of course it's a bit different when it's a more historically oriented campaign (Norse myths) or more primitive (the more post-cataclysmic bent of Sword & Sorcery).
In my DF? TL 3, stats from LT, some races make limited TL 4 stuff. Gnomes make TL 4 intricate mechanical stuff, dwarves have TL4 metallurgy, elves make TL4 ships, etc.

But standard rules for double cost higher TL gear at a minimum, plus the extra the dwarf charges you for plate for being a non-stumpy.

[
Quote:
I have been reading this thread and I have a question for the other inmates...

No one (other than myself) has mentioned the Merchant skill as part of the cashing in empties procedure...

Am I the only one using it? And rewarding/penalizing the PCs for their skills in this area? Or is that just something that I should chalk up to Mostly you guys are running DF and I am not?

Thanks!!
I ruthlessly enforce lesser percentage return on loot for the party of social rejects v. the party of nymphs who all took a bard lens. Helps mitigate the "party of monsters" effects, even in DF, which I personally like.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #73
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Right now no one in my DF party has it, but if they do, I'll use the rules in DF2 for it. The base price I use will still be the base price, Merchant (like Wealth in DF) will just give them a better shot at improving the take-home price.

Oh and I also assume a market for this stuff - if my players try to sell armor and weapons in a market glutted with them (this one soon will be) or which doesn't really need them/can't fork over cash for them, they'll get less. So far they're selling armor and weapons in a cash-rich borderland menaced by critters, so they have willing purchasers.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, treasures