Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #51
sn0wball

Default Re: Stories, Movies and Music to set the mood.

Gipsy is a french comic series about a dystopian near future where mega trucks replace air transportation. It perfectly fits the mood of a Truck Stop setting:
http://theslingsandarrows.com/gipsy-the-gipsy-star/
Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #52
Blue Ghost

My Damnation Ally bluray came today. I'm going to go out to grab some comfort food, bring it back and watch this thing to see if it puts me in a Car Wars kind of mood.

...been a while since I've seen Jan Michael Vincent in anything. This'll be a trip down memory lane ... the only thing missing are the old CW gang and some 80s tunes in the background >:)
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #53
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Well, against my better judgment I ordered a bluray of Damnation Alley. I recall being in the theatre in thinking the movie was just okay, but leaned a little on the B-side of things.

I caught the intro of Death Race, the one with Carradine either last year or the year before. Now that thing truly was a solid B-grade flick. I can't say it puts me in a CW mood.

Road Warrior / Mad Max 2 puts me in a C&C mood, but then again, I've never done Chassis and Crossbows. I wonder if anyone's going to run one at Kublacon this year.
The David Carradine version of Death Race is much more Wacky Racers than it is Car Wars. AND nothing wrong with that. ;) Lack of ranged weapons and comedy vehicles takes away from what to me is the Car Wars vibe.

On the other hand, the version with Jason Statham is very much over the top Vehicular Arena Combat and fits in nicely with how I see Car Wars arenas.

Both of versions have input from Roger Corman. Little known fact, Roger Corman also started the "Fast and the Furious" movie line. Sort Of. He wrote a B&W 1955 movie with that title. It has car racing and chases that were exhilarating for their time period (not so much now). No real car combat, but it can be had on dvd for $2.

Blue Ghost, I hope you enjoy your Blue Ray of Damnation Alley. Be on the look out for Pre A-Team George Peppard. As I've said I really like the movie, but the novella just feels more in tune with Car Wars. I think, partly because the vehicles are called cars and there is more motorcycle action in the book.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #54
Herod

I putting together a 5 hour "background noise" track for an event I am hosting in a couple months.

Blending a Nascar track with some crowd noises and gunfire. Not useful for a con game, but might help set the atmosphere in a home game.

I'll post a link to it if anyone wants it when I have finished it.

H
Herod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #55
Blue Ghost

Well, the landmasters use a turreted rocket pod a couple of times, a mortar in one instance, and some other weapon. I can't really say that it puts me in a Car Wars mood, but the movie itself totters between B and A minus territory. It's actually a bit better than what I remember, though not by much.

Eh, giant scorpions and man eating cockroaches are something out of 1950's scifi, but the movie had enough polish to put it into decent entertainment territory. It's an okay film, has some CW elements in it, though I guess it's a matter of personal taste as to whether you get a CW vibe off of it. Again, a better movie than what I remember, and the bluray is certainly better than the DVD quality that I streamed off Amazon some years back.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote