Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 11-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #51
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Bio-tech related Quirks and Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Interesting Quirk, logical, and surprising. Good for role-playing too.
That's rather opposite to how children learn language. We tend to over generalize not under. Dog means all small pet-like animals, not just Rover specifically.
Then again, I think we all know someone that has that issue with mathematical symbols. My uncle can read, is reasonably intelligent, and very fast with basic cyphering. He just hits a roadblock when trying to understand math involving letters and other variables.
Maybe a taboo for Math skill above 8. Nowhere near enough for a quirk, but something to think about.

(Sorry for getting pissy earlier in this thread. Not my thread to dictate or criticize intent or topic parameters.)
Old 11-23-2016, 01:33 AM   #52
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That's rather opposite to how children learn language. We tend to over generalize not under. Dog means all small pet-like animals, not just Rover specifically.
And to some extent the evolution of language; the root word of "cattle" is the one that gave us "capital" and I believe "chattel", and it seems originally to have meant "mobile property as distinct from land/buildings".
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #53
DaibhidC

Quote:
Then again, I think we all know someone that has that issue with mathematical symbols. My uncle can read, is reasonably intelligent, and very fast with basic cyphering. He just hits a roadblock when trying to understand math involving letters and other variables.
One symptom of dyscalcula can be a bit like this - if you count apples 1, 2, 3, you need a bit of a mental leap to remember that taking away the first apple means the remaining apples are now 1, 2, not 2, 3.
DaibhidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #54
Astromancer

Minor genetic mishaps in the Brain are a great source of Bio-tech logical quirks. Perks can come from minor bonuses. Example: Some people in real life can see farther into the infrared and ultraviolet than normal folks. It seems to me a Perk could be made up from that.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #55
Flyndaran
Untagged

There isn't much natural UV for it to matter, but near UV and IR could count as an additional color for object discrimination.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:51 AM   #56
Flyndaran
Untagged

Many mammals like cats and dogs can detect near UV. But it's still not much natural intensity compared to the visible spectrum or near IR.

Our short wave receptors will activate from UV, but that's off their peak sensitivity.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:30 AM   #57
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Sentence-at-once vocalization:
You learned to process spoken (and possibly written) language passably. You also learned to speak it. There's one problem, though. Where human speech processing can be crudely described as enjoying 'hardware acceleration', you have to go by the equivalent of 'software emulation'. Since you don't naturally think in sentences, you need to spend deliberate effort formulating your thought into a complete sentence before you can vocalize it from memory. You can never speak-as-you-think. For each sentence spoken, you first need to spend as much time silently thinking and constructing it as it would take to speak out the sentence. And additional consequence of this quirk is that you suffer a -2 to Fast-Talk unless you only need to speak one sentence that you could prepare in advance for a success.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #58
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Sentence-at-once vocalization:
You learned to process spoken (and possibly written) language passably. You also learned to speak it. There's one problem, though. Where human speech processing can be crudely described as enjoying 'hardware acceleration', you have to go by the equivalent of 'software emulation'. Since you don't naturally think in sentences, you need to spend deliberate effort formulating your thought into a complete sentence before you can vocalize it from memory. You can never speak-as-you-think. For each sentence spoken, you first need to spend as much time silently thinking and constructing it as it would take to speak out the sentence. And additional consequence of this quirk is that you suffer a -2 to Fast-Talk unless you only need to speak one sentence that you could prepare in advance for a success.
Interesting and flavorful, strange enough for the setting and yet playable. I admire you.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #59
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
Cats and dogs don't live long enough for UV damage to the retina to be a problem. Many birds of prey can see in near UV and they also don't live as long as humans.
It could also be due to our healing ability being more about quickness than completeness. For example, many animals regenerate inner ear hairs, while we cannot. So we lose range and acuity over time and from injury, while they just recover. Humans have some form of that for taste and smell receptors though, so tongue burns won't usually cause permanent loss of taste.

As to vision, a bigger issue is that human vision is insanely acute for a mammal, and only bested by a few raptors. We don't even have many "blue" receptors in and around our mega-sharp fovea, because those wavelengths are a hint damaging too.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #60
cptbutton

Quote:
It could also be due to our healing ability being more about quickness than completeness. For example, many animals regenerate inner ear hairs, while we cannot. So we lose range and acuity over time and from injury, while they just recover. Humans have some form of that for taste and smell receptors though, so tongue burns won't usually cause permanent loss of taste.

As to vision, a bigger issue is that human vision is insanely acute for a mammal, and only bested by a few raptors. We don't even have many "blue" receptors in and around our mega-sharp fovea, because those wavelengths are a hint damaging too.
I think bees can see light polarization. That might be one some people want. Not sure immediately what you'd use it for.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote