Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #211
Icelander

Default Re: GURPS Tactical Shooting

In my low-tech games, I use the rules for arrow travel, reaction speed, expanded Fright Checks for attacks that barely miss*, the rules for Situational Awareness with peripheral vision and shot effect optional rules, threat recognition, the spotter rules**, the counter-sniping rules***, tactical dodging, darkness penalties****, battle drills and room clearing and the expanded cover rules.

I'd say that Tactical Shooting gets plenty of use.

*Though I don't enforce them unless the damage of the attack that barely missed was enough so that it could have plausibly penetrated the DR of the character.
**There is an archer with a magical dragonbone bow that can shoot out to half a mile in an ordinary turn and ten times that if he gets time to enchant the missile. He also likes to shoot Shatterpoint arrows that inform him of the range, target velocity, azimuth, wind and the weakest point within 10 yds on the target. Then he guides ballistae to shoot exploding spheres of alchemical fire at that point.
***These rules apply whether you have a gun or not. It's a matter of 'can he see me?
****Therea are handy examples of what penalties apply at what lighting, not to mention expanded rules on night vision and what can ruin it.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #212
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Many of those rules apply even when being attacked in melee.
That is interesting to hear. Like the OP (Trachmyr), I also was thinking about the usefulness of Tactical Shooting for low-tech settings and melee situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
(. . .) Also, the section in Horror on insanity and mental illness will dovetail nicely with TS.
Yes. I see the rules for stress and derangement useful for non-horror campaigns too.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #213
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
It's in there because the author wanted it to be in there, it's that simple.

More to the point, I wanted it to be in there because it shows what customisation can do, and what that means in the game -- mounting a short suppressor to deal with excessive muzzle blast, grinding off anything that might prevent emergency egress from a vehicle, etc.

Finally, while historically only 20 were made for the 160th SOAR, nobody prevents you from ordering more from KAC -- they are a reasonably small outfit to cater to individual requests of that kind. Hell, using Armoury (Small Arms) or the help of a gunsmith, you could even apply the same process to some other weapon, be it of the AR-15 type or even a completely different weapon.

Availability has absolutely nothing to do with it. You will note that you could apply that "criticism" to several other weapons in the book, frex the MC-51, the Stinger, the SOG M79 -- but they have all earned their place in there, in my eyes.

Cheers

HANS
Well, I for one welcome our new custom gunsmithing overlords. :-)

Googling got me pictures of M4KA1s, though whether these are real or not I do not know, but I couldn't find sources on weight, overall length and such things.

Knowing HANS's mad research skills and the detail of GURPS Tactical Shooting, I was hoping that he'd had more luck than I had. Or that someone else knew, I suppose.

The stats in TS include Weight, obviously, but the overall length is not a GURPS stat and thus not found there. As luck would have it, PCs in my campaign actually do have a contact in Knight's Armament Corporation, as well one of them being a gunsmith. They will want to have similar modifications as the KAC M4A1 performed on a carbine from Knight's Armament Co. chambered in .300 Blackout. They might want a 6.5" barrel and perhaps simply the option of mounting a suppressor, leaving open the option of firing it in the really short configuration if deployed instantly, at the cost of more flash and noise.

I was wondering how much the custom shortening of the stock reduced the overall length, over and above the short barrel, and whether the weapon was subjected to any other gunsmithing that made the OAL shorter than a standard M4A1 if you simply mounted a 10" barrel on it.

My PCs tend to want to smuggle weapons inside other objects and knowing the OAL tends to be important when it comes to whether you can fit it inside a compartment on a motorcycle, for example, or in a laptop bag.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #214
MrFix

What is happening with AKS74U (HT) and AKS74UB (TS)?

AKS74U has acc 3, AKS74UB has acc 4. There's no marking that it is fine (accurate). Does the suppressor increase accuracy? Why? Why does it retain bulk -4 despite being suppressed? Why do other suppressors increase bulk, but this one doesn't?

AKS74UB costs x2.25 of AKS74U, why? Does the price contain all the addons that are listed with it (Suppressor, UGL)?

AKS74UB is listed as having integral suppressor. I am under impression that suppressor detaches and the weapon can be fired without it. Why is it integral?

Thanks.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/92/0e...414492e207.jpg
Master: Kromm vs PK

GURPS: Shooting things for fun and profit

Last edited by MrFix; 10-26-2019 at 08:48 PM.
MrFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:22 AM   #215
johndallman
Night Watchman

Rosie reported as a spammer.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #216
Rockwolf66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post

AKS74UB is listed as having integral suppressor. I am under impression that suppressor detaches and the weapon can be fired without it. Why is it integral?

Thanks.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/92/0e...414492e207.jpg
While it can be fired without a suppressor attached the reliability becomes zilch. The AKS74UX uses a muzzle booster to create enough gas pressure to reliably function. If you look closely at the suppressor of the AKS74UB the supressor replaces the muzzle booster.

Oh and in other questions I am trying to figure out the GURPS Stats for the following Firearms.

The TDI Silent Destroyer Carbine

The Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum
Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum

And a production version of the McMillan M-87R in 14.5X114mm.(in reality there were only a couple prototypes and they had a barrel life on under 100 rounds)
https://weaponsystems.net/weaponsyst...0-%20M87R.html
Rockwolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #217
MrFix

in High Tech 114, in Kalashnikov box, under AK74, it says that AK74 features a 'prominent muzzle brake. The muzzle brake was effective but increased muzzle blast (+2 to any Hearing or Vision roll to locate an AK-74 firing in the dark)'

'Effective muzzle brake'. Muzzle break is a synonym for recoil compensator according to wikipedia here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_brake

Does that mean that AK74 comes with free 'Compensator' as it appears in Tactical Shooting 76? The hearing/vision bonuses at least align.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:28 PM   #218
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
Does that mean that AK74 comes with free 'Compensator' as it appears in Tactical Shooting 76? The hearing/vision bonuses at least align.
Yes. The device has slanted gas holes and slots that are intended to tame the muzzle rise. That's a compensator in terms of Tactical Shooting.

Cheers

HANS
Old 08-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #219
MrFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Yes. The device has slanted gas holes and slots that are intended to tame the muzzle rise. That's a compensator in terms of Tactical Shooting.

Cheers

HANS
Thank you.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:57 PM   #220
MrFix

Molot APS(TS55) is listed as having 2d pi damage die, although IRL it has 7% more muzzle velocity and 49% longer barrel. Russian military circles are also of the opinion that it's more 'powerful', so body armor is tested against 9x18 fired out of APS and not PM.

Should that maybe warrant a 2d+1 pi dice and not 2d? Or does the velocity increase not hit the break point for +1?

Tags
melee, tactical shooting