Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2015, 02:09 AM   #51
Agemegos

Default Re: Who brings a knife to a gun-fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Granted, but don't we remember all these because they were exceptions? You don't hear about the times they charged with bayonets and were cut down by machine gun fire before they had moved ten yards.
Unless you read about the Western Front 1914–18

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:20 AM   #52
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Unless you read about the Western Front 1914–18
Right. Now, if the British had fielded Emus instead... (they were apparently very resistant to machine gun fire)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:21 AM   #53
Whyte

The Japanese Banzai charges didn't do too well in the Pacific during WWII, either.
Whyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 AM   #54
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte View Post
The Japanese Banzai charges didn't do too well in the Pacific during WWII, either.
Yep problem with banzai charges and bayonet charge etc in the modern day (include WW2), is that it's high risk.

It might surprise the enemy who stand there while you do it, or it might not and they'll shoot you. Circumstance will effect which is more likely of course!

either way it's a last ditch thing, unless you think you'll gain some specific benefit form it due to who you are who the enemy is (which was partly the justification for the banzai charges)

The recent instances i.e Goose Green and in Afghanistan wasn't done through choice

In both cases The British had I believe run out of ammunition, and the one in Goose Green was at night.
Tomsdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 AM   #55
borithan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I take the abstraction point, but I thought 1" = 2 yards was still canon?

Really? it's been a long time I'll have to pull my old books out tonight!
No, or at least I am not aware of it being so. Every book since has failed to mention any solid range rule explicitly to avoid it, as they realised 1"=2 yards was... well, a bit dumb, but didn't want to change the rules or tie themselves down to anything like they did initially. I think the little "learning to play" rulebook in the 4th edition starter set (with Tyranids and Space Marines) had some throw away line about a "sliding scale", ala Flames of War (where 16" is "effective small arms range" and artillery then has a range of 48"), but I haven't seen anything like that since. They have realised tying themselves down to a scale leads to daft things (like the 90m range Battletech machine guns, which, while now stated to be a game abstraction, apparently featured in in-canon novels before they formalised it into "the weapon ranges are purely a convention for playability, not their actual ranges"), yet they like the rules they have... or at least are too scared to kill the golden goose that they are unwilling to drastically change the core of the rules.

And yes, there is an optional rule somewhere in the 1st edition ruleset for longer ranged shots. First you needed a 6 "to hit" and then make another BS check. Think it is towards the end of the combat section, but I am not totally sure. Going to admit I am not 100% certain on the range multipliers (it might be x5 for projectile weapons and x2 for energy weapons), but I am pretty sure it was x10 and x5.

Last edited by borithan; 01-27-2015 at 06:49 AM.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, guns, melee, warhammer, wh40k