Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
geppo_68

Default Jumping off a car

Hello, one of my PC thinks to make a car bomb attack to an enemy installation driving at full speed toward the roadblock and jumping off the car after setting off the fuze.
How do you suggest to solve this action, in particular regarding the jump and its possible consequences?

Thank you!!
geppo_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Jumping off a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppo_68 View Post
Hello, one of my PC thinks to make a car bomb attack to an enemy installation driving at full speed toward the roadblock and jumping off the car after setting off the fuze.
How do you suggest to solve this action, in particular regarding the jump and its possible consequences?
Treating it like any other collision should work fine - you hit with the ground at whatever speed the car was going when you jumped off.

Presumably he'd like to have a way to make that safer. A slightly more complex method would be to treat it like a fall of speed (mph)^2/21.3 yards, and allow you make an Acrobatics roll to reduce your "falling" distance by 5 yards. Not quite equivalently but probably close enough and much simpler, just allow an Acrobatics roll to shave 10 mph (or 5 hexes/turn) off the collision speed for any collision. I might even consider making that a generic rule now that I think about it.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
Anaraxes

I'd think it'd be in the Action! line somewhere. Anything in 5, Dictionary of Danger (the new one)? Exploits (2) has theft, chases, and car bombs, but I don't see anything specifically about jumping from a moving vehicle.

Ramming a vehicle through a gate/door can presumably be handled by the Basic collision rules, or in this case explosion rules, but there's still the question of accuracy. It could be treated like a "thrown" weapon attack. But Driving skill after you've left the car, or that's good enough to have aimed it properly (cleverly taking into account the slopes of terrain and such for high BAD, naturally). Traps? Mechanic (Auto) to MacGyver the steering, or install an actual remote control?
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Not quite equivalently but probably close enough and much simpler, just allow an Acrobatics roll to shave 10 mph (or 5 hexes/turn) off the collision speed for any collision. I might even consider making that a generic rule now that I think about it.
I like it myself, imagine someone crazy enough to buy it as a Technique!
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:49 AM   #5
geppo_68

I really like your suggestions, exspecially the one of using the car as a thrown weapon via the driving skill!
geppo_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:23 AM   #6
Empada

what about some motoGP accidents were the pilot hit the ground and slide on the floor to get up like nothing happened? they are travelling with a good speed, move 33 or so (120 km/h) but isn't a full stop in one second, they roll over and the suit gets all the abrasive damage
Empada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:01 AM   #7
Dustin

The Roll With Blow technique from Martial Arts seems appropriate here, allowing an Acrobatics-2 roll for half damage (and double knockback as they bounce to a stop).