Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
FeiLin

Default DF Urban?

I think the DF16 takes care of wilderness characters/adventures/campaigns/etc; is there an equivalent to Urban (ie stuff in cities)?
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: DF Urban?

Not really, no. The Pyramid article "Traits In Town" and, to some extent, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 17: Guilds cover aspects of living in a society, but far from all of them. We could use a book which goes deeper into buying and selling stuff and perhaps more about dungeon crawling-style adventures in or immediately under a town.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
The Colonel

Urban adventures aren't really in the DF paradigm - DF is based around the old school idea that "town" is a sort of nebulous admin screen between dungeons (where actually gaming happens). Like "that other RPG" social stuff will tend to take a back seat to combat and looting.
Combat and looting in a built up area full of civilians tends to lead to questionable roleplaying decisions.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
Dalin

There's no exact parallel to DF16, but we do have an urban setting created specifically for DF: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Caverntown. It is discussed extensively in this thread. Here's a pertinent quote from Kromm's opening blurb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
But Caverntown has more to offer than just an interesting premise and a bunch of hard-to-pronounce fantasy names. It's the first supplement in the Dungeon Fantasy series to discuss how civilization survives and enforces its laws in the face of monsters – and delvers. To cover searching for, modifying, and ordering gear (including magic items). To offer costs for magical services such as healing and magic-item identification. To present rules for settling down and buying property.
I really liked this supplement. Even if I weren't going to use the actual town itself, there's plenty of information there to inspire other DF-flavored communities.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
FeiLin

I seem to recall "that other RPG"* had some books on that. The issue might be that it's quite difficult to make a generic one, since cities are more a preference of personal style etc, with more complex building blocks than traps and monsters?

But I definitely think that cities provide plenty of depth to rival any dungeon or wilderness in crawling and backdrops of cellars/temples/sewers/etc, perhaps even better integrated with GURPS as a whole with Allies, Contacts, Enemies being more compacted into the same area (not to mention the Guilds, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
The Pyramid article "Traits In Town"
Where can I find that?

* Is that GURPS for DnD, btw?
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Where can I find that?
Sorry, "Traits For Town." That's issue 3/58.

Quote:
* Is that GURPS for DnD, btw?
The expression is used in other communities as well, but yes.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
Astromancer

I've both put a city in the dungeon( Chicago says it's in a garden) and had a city (like the real-world Budapest) above the dungeon. Anyone for sewer mutant tag? Several DF types make more sense near a town.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
SteamBub

Urban Magic good place to get some city fluff and DF Guilds is good way to get some city politics into the game. There's Hellsgate which is more like a town dungeon and Caverntown (haven't read yet, but hear many good things about it) which is a dungeon town. I haven't read them, but the the Hot Spots for Renaissance Florence, Constantinople, and Renaissance Venice might be a good place to mine some ideas. If you don't mind filing off some Yrth fluff from Abydos (with P70), you have a pretty good undead town. Lastly, WebDM did a video which has some book recommendations, mainly D&D books, and tips for urban campaigns.
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
Dalin

Douglas Cole's Hall of Judgment features Isfjall, a Viking-inspired town/city. It includes a ton of information about the town, including major NPCs, city life, festivals, local services, adventure seeds for side-quests, and rumors that connect to the larger adventure.

The upcoming Citadel at Noršvorn is even more relevant, since it is primarily a setting book featuring a city and multiple additional communities. The "instant village generator" is particularly exciting. According to the blurb on the back cover, the book will feature:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadel at Noršvorn
  • Detailed descriptions of Noršvörn and two important towns. Important locations and personalities. Culture and festivals. Places to live and shop.
  • Motivations and goals for key factions: the Wardens of Noršvörn, Faerie, Dragonkin, and foul fiends from Muspelheim and their human servitors.
  • The ruins of Elskašr, whose destruction woke threats from the dragonkin, and mystical forces long dormant.
  • Key NPCs and supporting cast, a bestiary, and an “instant village generator” for travel between towns.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I think the DF16 takes care of wilderness characters/adventures/campaigns/etc; is there an equivalent to Urban (ie stuff in cities)?
In what manner is it necessary?

Dungeon Parkour is also City Parkour, kicking in doors works the same, as does basically everything you do "in a dungeon".

If you want expanded social rules there are several books for those outside the DF line, which treats Town as an abstraction, not and adventure site.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, urban, wildernesses