Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GCA and Dungeon Fantasy RPG

If there is a fix for spending points on cash can it be applied to the Basic Set datafile too in the next update? Since GCA does this wrong for GURPS too.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #22
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If there is a fix for spending points on cash can it be applied to the Basic Set datafile too in the next update? Since GCA does this wrong for GURPS too.
I'm afraid there's no fix at this time.

This isn't a simple issue, because people need to know how much they've spent, which these "disappearing points" confuse. So GCA will need to be able to show what's been spent in addition to the point value of the character.

How I approach that, I still haven't decided, but it'll be a GCA5 thing, not something fixable in GCA4. (I'm kinda thinking about a 'transitory expenditures' tab, where they can be traits and do things (like grant bonuses), but their costs only apply to the total spent, not to character value. Since people don't want these things cluttering up their trait lists, this seems the best option. Opinions welcome, but probably best in a dedicated thread.)

You can fix it manually pretty easily if you want: just apply the "_Free, *0" modifier to the "Trading Character Points for Money" trait, and then spend that many levels fewer in points elsewhere.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #23
Armin
GCA Prime

I think that the desire to build DFRPG as a single data file is a solid idea, which makes lots of sense to me.

It occurred to me that GCA5 can create single data files from a data set. So, I used that tool, then lightly edited the result to create a Dungeon Fantasy RPG.gdf for GCA4 that is the files for Basic Set, Magic, Dungeon Fantasy files 1,2, 3, 4, 7, 9, and Dungeon Fantasy Remove Unnecessary Traits combined into a single big file.

I haven't really tested it, other than to ensure it loads and the lists inside GCA populate. Which it does, and they do.

The file's organization of the data will be odd, because lots of the things usually included for human-readability are missing. However, if the thinking is to start the DFRPG from the existing GURPS Dungeon Fantasy files, then this here is a start.

Here is the file on my OneDrive: Dungeon Fantasy RPG.gdf.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #24
adm

Thank you, Armin.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #25
Say, it isn't that bad!

Cannot find "like" button. Left this instead. :)
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #26
Armin
GCA Prime

Imma working on it.

Here's a file on my OneDrive: Dungeon Fantasy RPG - Templates.gdf

I've only done Barbarian and Bard so far.

This file is NOT just templates; it's anything I felt like I needed to touch while doing the templates. That may be good, it may be bad. But it still needs that other file I linked in an earlier post, too.

Note that things that are changed may still leave remnants of the old. For example, Bard Songs have changed, but the old Bard-Song stuff in the combined file is still there after loading the Templates file, because I don't remove them.

This is the kind of stuff that'll get cleaned up over time, and hopefully as we work together on the files.

Be aware that some of the things I've touched had to be touched, but may still not be complete. DFRPG doesn't seem to do categories for traits, so I started out ignoring them, but then decided having 'unofficial' ones like what Eric had already included, was probably a good idea. So, that's messy.

I also had to include/update some of the talents, so that they could correctly limit themselves based on if the user had a particular template or not, and if they're being adjusted in the Select dialog. (Plus, some of the things they affect are different now.) Those will be modified even more as I do more templates.

I'm not sure of a better way to do the Spells for the Bards, as the whole prereq thing is really annoying when trying to pick them from a Select dialog.

Also, I'm not as adept as Eric at keeping straight what modifiers and attributes and such are needed for various things, so I've tried to keep those references whenever possible, even if I don't follow up on them. So, that may need to be cleaned up, too.

Anyway, this here is the first two templates I've done. Huge thanks to Bruno, RobKamm, and Eric for their work on the DF files, as having those already done makes doing these new templates much easier and much faster.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #27
Armin
GCA Prime

I've done a few professional templates now, and it looks like I have to keep touching various traits in order to de-GURPSify them for DFRPG. This has been pretty haphazard so far, which is getting annoying.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to sit down and quickly create all the Advantages, Disadvantages, and Skills to ensure that I'm working from good DFRPG stock.

If anyone has those already done, so that I can just update them with my required changes, that would be very helpful.

This is effectively short notice, but if anyone can post what they have and provide a download link here, or email a file to me at gca4 at misersoft dot com, then I'd appreciate that. I'm hoping to finish with this stuff in the next few days, before I have to get back to the day job.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:17 PM   #28
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, I've now worked through Advantages. Will probably do Disadvantages and Skills tomorrow before returning to the templates.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #29
Armin
GCA Prime

I got through the Disadvantages and Skills chapters today.

I expect that I've messed some stuff up, but we'll shake it out over time. It won't surprise me if Eric is puzzled by some of my choices when he looks through this later. (But then, sometimes I puzzle myself ;-)

I definitely took shortcuts with Boxing, Brawling, and Karate, which likely still have a whole bunch of unnecessary stuff in the various damage related tags, but I just didn't have the extra energy today to sort through that. That stuff is mostly unseen most of the time anyway.

I probably also dropped some conditional() bonuses that other people would have included.

I didn't even pretend like I'd try to get to Spells or Gear. Not gonna have time to go there.

I hope to return to professional templates (and their special traits and skills) tomorrow, unless work interferes.

At some point, I'll get the chunk from the Advantages, Disadvantages, and Skills chapters into a stand-alone file so folks can check it out. My eyes are too tired to deal with that any more today.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #30
Armin
GCA Prime

Hello again,

I'm posting my standalone draft of DFRPG. This requires no other files, although I've currently just copied the Attributes, Spells, and Equipment sections out of other files, so they're probably full of extra crap. Hopefully someone will provide updates for those while I work on templates.

Here it is on my OneDrive: Dungeon Fantasy RPG - Standalone Draft.gdf