Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Nosforontu

Default Enhanced Deceptive Attack

I have been stating up various powers for a home game loosely inspired by the WOD game and I have come up with a new advantage based on the Enhanced Parry advantage for use in Obfuscate and I figured I would share it with the Hive Mind :).

I call it Enhanced Deceptive Attack (which I have also cleverly the thread ;)). Essentially it is priced the same as Enhanced Parry (5 points a level for Unarmed attacks/one weapon skill attacks or 10 points a level for all attacks). Instead of adding to the characters Parry though it instead adds a "free level" of Deceptive attack to your attack rolls in the round for each level of Enhanced Deceptive Attack you have.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Mathulhu

Default Re: Enhanced Deceptive Attack

Melee Skill +2 [8] (-40% can only be used to make deceptive attacks) [5]

Seems pretty reasonable.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
The Benj

If you still have to abide by the 10 minimum, I think it sounds okay.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Nosforontu

So far so good then it sounds like, thank you for the input so far.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the original post 5 of this thread
Same cost as a Custom Technique for the purpose at [5] (Well, it's [6] if you also need a Unique Technique Perk)

Custom Technique: Opponent's Defenses; Dodge -1 Penalty (-2 to default), Parry -1 Penalty (-1 to default), Block -1 Penalty (-1 to default)

Deceptive Technique, Defaults to Skill (-4 x Defense penalty)
You'd never default of course, you would just use deceptive attack. It's one of those techniques only worth using if you've improved it.

A wild card version would be [12] per point of Defense Penalty, so not too far off... the Technique makes a nice round Power Up for -2 to defenses!

Unpredictable Attacker
25 Points

Your style of fighting keeps your opponents guessing! Any Active Defense against your attacks suffer a -2 penalty.
Perks: Unique Technique (Deceptive Technique) [1]
Technique: Deceptive Technique! (H) Skill+0 [24]
I made a silly error here, as a Hard Technique at -8 would be 9 points (not 8), making the cost of the "Power Up" above 28 points. Instead....

The price point can be reestablished by adding a drawback.

Here is the latest version:
Quote:
Deceptive Technique: Your attack moves so quickly that opponents suffer a -2 penalty to all active defenses, your speed can be a detriment however, if you fail to connect, you must roll VS DX or fall.

Custom Technique:

Opponent's Defenses; Dodge -2 Penalty (-4 to default), Parry -2 Penalty (-2 to default), Block -2 Penalty (-2 to default)

Drawbacks: Must Roll vs DX or fall on a miss. (If a combined with a maneuver (ie. kick) that has this drawback already, apply a -1 Penalty to the existing DX Roll)

Deceptive Technique, Defaults to Skill-7 (8 points to remove penalty, 24 as a Wildcard Technique)
Quote:

Unpredictable Attacker
25 Points

Your style of fighting keeps your opponents guessing! Any Active Defense against your attacks suffer a -2 penalty, but this can leave you off balance. On a miss, roll vs DX (Or DX-1 for a Kick) or fall.
(Note: Cinematic Technique guidelines allow for Opponent Defense penalties of up to -4. A similar technique with a -3 or -4 to defenses would default to Skill-11 and Skill-15 respectively.)

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 05-02-2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: QFT, self explanatory...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Same cost as a Custom Technique for the purpose at [5] (Well, it's [6] if you also need a Unique Technique Perk)

Custom Technique: Opponent's Defenses; Dodge -1 Penalty (-2 to default), Parry -1 Penalty (-1 to default), Block -1 Penalty (-1 to default)

You'd never default of course, you would just use deceptive attack. It's one of those techniques only worth using if you've improved it.

A wild card version would be [12] per point of Defense Penalty, so not too far off... the Technique makes a nice round Power Up for -2 to defenses!

Unpredictable Attacker
25 Points

Your style of fighting keeps your opponents guessing! Any Active Defense against your attacks suffer a -2 penalty.
Huh. I kind of like it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

How are these that different than Counterattack? That one is a technique that if you max it out gives you a -2 Deceptive Attack every time you use it.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
How are these that different than Counterattack? That one is a technique that if you max it out gives you a -2 Deceptive Attack every time you use it.
Counterattack requires a successful Active Defense to precede it, and only has a -1 penalty to dodge and block.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post

Unpredictable Attacker
25 Points

This works for me, although I'd set a pretty steep Prerequisite for it, because it's very cinematic.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
Melee Skill +2 [8] (-40% can only be used to make deceptive attacks) [5]

Seems pretty reasonable.
And for the "all skills" version, that's DX! (-70% can only be used to make deceptive attacks)* [10], which probably isn't unreasonable.

Of course, this trait at any level is probably highly cinematic, so you'll want to have steep prerequisites. Trained By a Master / Weapon Master for more mundane characters, appropriate magical abilities for others (in this case, access to the Obfuscate Discipline is likely appropriate; some other Disciplines might also qualify, like Celerity).

*If you're unfamiliar with the concept of DX!, it's +1 DX [20], -0.25 Basic Speed [-5], for an end cost of [15].
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote