Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 02-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #51
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: Will the Space Colony children be the Startravelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It's also a massive amount of resources leaving the system. That would probably irritate people that wouldn't otherwise care about the project in principle.
It's only massive in individual human terms. Yeah, something the size of Island Three or some comparable habitat is big to a human, many miles long and across, but in terms of the resources of the Solar System it's a blip. Even allowing for it to be more massive yet, to allow for propulsion systems and reaction mass and shielding and spare stuff and so forth, it's still pretty much of a blip.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #52
Flyndaran
Untagged

I still think we're all imagining very different sized vehicles. I think launching a habitat to 0.04 C would require a massive gargantuan multistage fusion rocket larger than any previously built THS **** by a huge margin. Possible, but a megaproject.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #53
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Possible, but a megaproject.
It is a megaproject, but it's still not very much on the scale of the resource of a solar system.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #54
Astromancer

Given that there are megaprojects going on in THS, like the Venus sunshade and terraforming Mars, that dwarf a generation starship, people might not notice the smaller project. People have only so much time and attention. A quiet project out beyond the asteroids might fall between the cracks.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #55
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Given that there are megaprojects going on in THS, like the Venus sunshade and terraforming Mars, that dwarf a generation starship, people might not notice the smaller project. People have only so much time and attention. A quiet project out beyond the asteroids might fall between the cracks.
People will notice, it's too expensive and there's too many people snooping around, but that doesn't mean they'll care.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #56
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
People will notice, it's too expensive and there's too many people snooping around, but that doesn't mean they'll care.
They will care if He3 prices rise, and the quantity that a generation ship needs to take with it is significant. Indeed, a covert generation ship project might do better to set up its own He3 mining infrastructure. And that points to the company in the best position to do it: Xiao Chu, who have a station on Miranda, one of the moons of Uranus, which is already rumoured to be for He3 mining.

We're still short of a plausible motive for Xiao Chu to build a generation ship, or for the Chinese government to order one from them, but they have the means to try.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #57
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
They will care if He3 prices rise.
If people are stealing the 3He and causing prices to rise, that's a problem. If people are buying the 3He and causing prices to rise, well, other consumers are unhappy, but produces are happy, and the economy as a whole probably shrugs.