Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2016, 11:19 PM   #11
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Re: JCSP character management tool

I had no problem with the check marks or radio buttons on Pacifism. I'm using Chrome on a PC. Unfortunately, it was worth 0 points. And I couldn't change that. I had to delete it. I should be able to change the particulars of a trait without having to delete it and start over.

Edit: After doing that again, I note that it's always worth 0 points, unless I manually change it to something else. The value of the disadvantage should change automatically as I select which type of Pacifism I want. It's the same with Phobia. Is it the same with all such disadvantages? Destiny works though, but it uses a menu list instead of radio buttons. But Regeneration does use radio buttons and does change the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsp View Post
Keep in mind that you may have a 3e character even though you are using a 4e sheet, or vice-versa. You can change the ruleset a character uses under Edit -> Edit Game Info.
That should change automatically if you swap between editions.

It would be good if we could move the "Select Advantage/Disadvantage" window so that we can see what's being written in the "Ads, Disads, Perqs, Quirks" column, which probably should be renamed (perks not perqs) too.
Edit: It seems that you always spell perk as perq, so it should probably be changed everywhere.

When you select Sort by Origin, what is your sorting criteria?

When you sort by type, what is the PM type (Telecommunication seems to be the only trait that has it)? Should it be MP?

I find it interesting that you include the some of the perks from the Basic Set in the "select advantage/disadvantage" window, but not all of then, nor any of the quirks.

When you sort by anything other than Name, it would be nice if each subcategory was sorted by name.

Last edited by Dragondog; 03-09-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
Captain Joy

This is impressive.

Feature Request: Height and Weight
  1. have height and weight adjust when you change your ST.
  2. when you click on your height or weight, allow for increasing or decreasing from the norm for your ST, but staying within RAW guidelines.
  3. allow an option to go beyond RAW guidelines.
  4. allow an option to fix height and weight so it doesn't auto-adjust with ST changes.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #13
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
This is impressive.
Looks promising!

JCSP, maintaining the prog for both 3rd and 4th editions... well, let's just say you're a better man than I. :)
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #14
jcsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Feature Request: Height and Weight [adjustment]
Thanks for the suggestion!

How about an embedded tool somewhere (click on the height/weight stats, maybe?) that would then do this adjustment? My guess is that most people would prefer that these stats remain constant as the default, with the option to have them adjust.

I could have the tool take ST, gender, race, etc. into account . . . hm.
jcsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #15
jcsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
I had no problem with the check marks or radio buttons on Pacifism. I'm using Chrome on a PC. Unfortunately, it was worth 0 points. And I couldn't change that. I had to delete it. I should be able to change the particulars of a trait without having to delete it and start over.

Edit: After doing that again, I note that it's always worth 0 points, unless I manually change it to something else. The value of the disadvantage should change automatically as I select which type of Pacifism I want. It's the same with Phobia. Is it the same with all such disadvantages? Destiny works though, but it uses a menu list instead of radio buttons. But Regeneration does use radio buttons and does change the cost.
Traits with variable point values come in a number of flavors. For some, the way I chose to handle them in this tool was with a 'base cost' (sometimes with point value 0) and a selection of 'constant modifiers', i.e., modifiers that are added to the base value (instead of multiplied, etc.).

So the little legend in the Select Ads/Disads dialog box will always show cost for Pacifism (and other traits like this) as "cost: 0 (+modifier)". When you actually take the trait, the cost on the sheet comes out right, though. Maybe I should show less detail in that legend in the Dbox.

Quote:
That [ruleset] should change automatically if you swap between editions.
I'm open to this idea if most people want it that way, but it certainly isn't how I would want things to work in such a tool. Can I get some feedback from others about this?

Quote:
It would be good if we could move the "Select Advantage/Disadvantage" window so that we can see what's being written in the "Ads, Disads, Perqs, Quirks" column, which probably should be renamed (perks not perqs) too.
The window should be moveable. You need to grab it by the title bar at the top. Please let me know if it isn't working for you, and in what OS/browser this happened.

EDIT: Now that I check, I see that this is broken. I'll get it fixed right away.

Quote:
Edit: It seems that you always spell perk as perq, so it should probably be changed everywhere.
Yeah, this is a Quirk of mine. 'Perk' is short for perquisite, so spelling it with a 'k' rubs me wrong. If everybody hates it, I'll change it.

Quote:
When you select Sort by Origin, what is your sorting criteria?

When you sort by type, what is the PM type (Telecommunication seems to be the only trait that has it)? Should it be MP?
Sort by Origin pulls out the Exotic and Supernatural traits. They end up at the bottom of the list; it might be better if that were reversed.

You're right, PM and MP are the same; I've now fixed this in my development code and it will work properly in the next release.

Telecommunication should also sort with Exotic traits, which wasn't happening. Also fixed now for next release.

Quote:
I find it interesting that you include the some of the perks from the Basic Set in the "select advantage/disadvantage" window, but not all of then, nor any of the quirks.
I thought I had included all of the Perqs; are there some that are not in the list on pp. 100-101? That being said, you are right that I didn't include any of the Quirks listed at pp. 162-165. I should do that.

Quote:
When you sort by anything other than Name, it would be nice if each subcategory was sorted by name.
Yes, it would be nice - they get sorted in the order I have them listed in the main rules library file, which is mostly alphabetical. I should probably do an alpha sort before the other ones, to make sure.

Last edited by jcsp; 03-10-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #16
brianfb

I personally see no value in jumping back and forth between editions on the same character.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #17
jcsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Looks promising!

JCSP, maintaining the prog for both 3rd and 4th editions... well, let's just say you're a better man than I. :)
The result of being a long-time frustrated GURPS gamer in a town where no-one has ever heard of GURPS. I moved here before 4th edition came out, so ALL of my stuff is 3rd edition. I have never actually played using 4th edition rules!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #18
Captain Joy

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion!

How about an embedded tool somewhere (click on the height/weight stats, maybe?) that would then do this adjustment? My guess is that most people would prefer that these stats remain constant as the default, with the option to have them adjust.

I could have the tool take ST, gender, race, etc. into account . . . hm.
Your modifications to my initial suggestions sound fine to me.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #19
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Traits with variable point values come in a number of flavors. For some, the way I chose to handle them in this tool was with a 'base cost' (sometimes with point value 0) and a selection of 'constant modifiers', i.e., modifiers that are added to the base value (instead of multiplied, etc.).

So the little legend in the Select Ads/Disads dialog box will always show cost for Pacifism (and other traits like this) as "cost: 0 (+modifier)". When you actually take the trait, the cost on the sheet comes out right, though. Maybe I should show less detail in that legend in the Dbox.
I saw all of those details and I think they should remain. That wasn't what I was talking about. When I test it now, the cost does come out right, but it didn't when I tested it before.

Quote:
Yeah, this is a Quirk of mine. 'Perk' is short for perquisite, so spelling it with a 'k' rubs me wrong. If everybody hates it, I'll change it.
They are called Perks in GURPS.

Quote:
Sort by Origin pulls out the Exotic and Supernatural traits. They end up at the bottom of the list; it might be better if that were reversed.
So that's why I didn't see anything in particular.

Quote:
I thought I had included all of the Perqs; are there some that are not in the list on pp. 100-101? That being said, you are right that I didn't include any of the Quirks listed at pp. 162-165. I should do that.
I checked the Perks when I had ordered them by cost, so perhaps not having them in alphabetic order caused me to miss some of them.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #20
JMD

Quote:
I...never knew that. Thanks for dropping a knowledge bomb in here. You should definitely change it to "Perk" though, since perquisite looks too much like prerequisite and doesn't appear in the GURPS rules anywhere. :)

Last edited by JMD; 03-10-2016 at 12:34 PM.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote